PDA

View Full Version : Spring thoughts help needed

thattimguy
01-18-2011, 03:33 PM
I am still pretty new on the forum but i really need your help on springs. I'm looking to lower my car on megan racing springs. I have had some people say they are a good quality spring for the price, so ill give them a try. For a while, i will be running them with stock shocks, however, a couple guys i work with at acura told me they look pretty close to new. With that aside, how badly will my camber be affected without a camber kit? I would like to get the springs ASAP but money is limiting me from purchasing a good quality set of camber arms. Is the camber so bad it is undriveable? Please help!

MBaG
01-18-2011, 03:50 PM
a camber kit isn't required; you'll be fine.

Zzyzx
01-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Intended application? are you lowering it for looks or trying to get it to handle better?

thattimguy
01-18-2011, 06:46 PM
I just want it to look better haha. everyone calls it a 4wd minivan

omgheyitskenny
01-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Pics of the car? I want to know whos running around in a mini vans in my city :D I don't see many around gilbert

I have some springs alrdy on struts that I just pulled off the car since I'm on coils now ;) be cheaper than buying springs ;)

Calvinep3
01-19-2011, 01:20 PM
i think progress springs for the ep3 are better than megan. im running progress springs with stock shocks. ive been doing so for about 2 years with no problems. camber kit is a must if you dont want to waste your tires.

SkareKrow
01-19-2011, 01:20 PM
I am still pretty new on the forum but i really need your help on springs. I'm looking to lower my car on megan racing springs. I have had some people say they are a good quality spring for the price, so ill give them a try. For a while, i will be running them with stock shocks, however, a couple guys i work with at acura told me they look pretty close to new. With that aside, how badly will my camber be affected without a camber kit? I would like to get the springs ASAP but money is limiting me from purchasing a good quality set of camber arms. Is the camber so bad it is undriveable? Please help!

Hey I recommend you get some type of camber kit(s) since it wont affect it that much but it does shorten the life of your tires a bit.
Also welcome to ephatch.com!

SkareKrow
01-19-2011, 01:21 PM
i think progress springs for the ep3 are better than megan. im running progress springs with stock shocks. ive been doing so for about 2 years with no problems. camber kit is a must if you dont want to waste your tires.

I agree with you on the tires, Mos-Def to get a camber kit! you beat my post by a few seconds lol.!

Calvinep3
01-19-2011, 01:24 PM
I agree with you on the tires, Mos-Def to get a camber kit! you beat my post by a few seconds lol.!

haha that was funny!

@thattimguy ---- If you want to lower your car, springs are a good way to go. Although anyone on the forums will tell you that coilovers are a better route, I know where u come from and some of us dont have the money. Make sure you know how low you are dropping your car b4 u buy the springs bc you might regret the drop after a few speed bumps.

omgheyitskenny
01-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Hey I recommend you get some type of camber kit(s) since it wont affect it that much but it does shorten the life of your tires a bit.
Also welcome to ephatch.com!

Camber kit is not a must espically with drop springs.. maybe with a crap alignment guy sure. When I had springs I had my Toe basicaly at 0 and my front and rear camber was almost at 0 with only changing out the Cambolts in the front and got 60k miles on Kumo Ectas. 80k before the cord starting showing and had to buy new tires.

ep3egg
01-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Camber kit is a must. try looking into H&R limited edition springs lowest drop springs out there

Drew1d
01-19-2011, 09:49 PM

The lower the car, the less you can adjust to get it to zero toe. So if you go real low, you won't be able to get it to zero. It's really the rear I think you'd have to be more concerned about than the front. A camber kit isn't that much, so if money is limiting you, I'd consider looking at your budget. Realistcally, it doesn't save you any money to do your springs now and then do them again when you get struts. I'd suggest saving $1000 and doing spings, dampers and a rear camber kit. And even with that, it will be tough to stay on budget. Doing it twice will cost you at least $1500.

MBaG
01-19-2011, 11:03 PM
i've been tucking tire for awhile without a camber kit. i looked at my rear tires today, and there's minimal camber wear. but i did raise it up a bit, so everything won't take a huge dump on me.

omgheyitskenny
01-20-2011, 01:15 AM
The lower the car, the less you can adjust to get it to zero toe. So if you go real low, you won't be able to get it to zero. It's really the rear I think you'd have to be more concerned about than the front. A camber kit isn't that much, so if money is limiting you, I'd consider looking at your budget. Realistcally, it doesn't save you any money to do your springs now and then do them again when you get struts. I'd suggest saving $1000 and doing spings, dampers and a rear camber kit. And even with that, it will be tough to stay on budget. Doing it twice will cost you at least $1500.

This guy speaks the truth.

I'm at .010 Toe with the car slammed kind of. I'm measured 23inches from the ground bottom fender to bottom tire. I have no camber kit with -4 camber in the rear. My Kumos lasted around 60k miles

blazeboy09
01-20-2011, 10:15 PM
well i have stock struts and megan racing springs and its fine bcuz the back is just lower 1.75 so my tire wear is nothing to worry about and i have been riding on them for about 3-4 months. drop it and dont worry about it lol.

thattimguy
01-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Well i got my springs today. A set of brand new progressive springs and they look great. no camber issues at all. I got a brand new set for 100 bucks. Gotta love CL.

makavelibranded
01-20-2011, 11:34 PM
I was on Tien springs for 2.5 years, no alinement, no camber kit, on stock struts and was perfectly fine. Imo dont worry about it, check your tires here and there you should be fine.

omgheyitskenny
01-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Well i got my springs today. A set of brand new progressive springs and they look great. no camber issues at all. I got a brand new set for 100 bucks. Gotta love CL.

Take it to network for alignment in AZ ;)