PDA

View Full Version : head unit

nbj1485
12-19-2002, 12:15 AM
when u get a new head unit, how much is a new dash kit. i kno in the rsx its about $50+ or u can get a base model kit. if it has been posted before, i am sorry. its just that this forum is divided differently from wat i am used to (clubrsx.com).

jaydub
12-19-2002, 12:45 AM
I got my metra dash kit from Circuit City for $15. Betware, the quality is shit, and it's black, not silver. Apparently Metra and Scosche make silver kits, but I've never seen one for sale.

JLannoo
12-19-2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by jaydub
I got my metra dash kit from Circuit City for $15. Betware, the quality is shit, and it's black, not silver. Apparently Metra and Scosche make silver kits, but I've never seen one for sale.

Have to agree....I had to make some little shims to make the some of the gaps tighten up.

What I did like about the Metra kit was that it gives you alot of options. It comes with two front panels. One for a single DIN or ISO-DIN with a pocket (sorta like the stock setup) and a second front panel for two single DIN or one double DIN.

I ended up useing the single ISO-DIN mount. It seemed to keep the face more flush with the dash then if I had used a regular DIN mount using the sleeve and trim plate.

my02si
12-19-2002, 07:05 AM
Crutchfield for $12 and it was black..

02TafWhtSi
01-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by JLannoo
Have to agree....I had to make some little shims to make the some of the gaps tighten up.

Can you show some pics or give me a little more detail on how you did this? Mine is also loose and rattles around so I need to tighten it up a bit. Thanks.

most_hatedSi02
01-06-2003, 08:28 PM
I'm scared that I just bought my new head unit and it's not going to fit right. I'm going to have a professional install done...so I have someone to hold accountable if they fuk it up!

JLannoo
01-06-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi

Can you show some pics or give me a little more detail on how you did this? Mine is also loose and rattles around so I need to tighten it up a bit. Thanks.

I used folded cardboard,stuck it between the top of the head unit and the dash kit then taped it down. You cant see it.

It helped press the top of the dash kit up to seal the gap that was showing up there. I dont think mine would have rattled without this though. Maybe its how you installed it?

When I installed mine I did the ISO (flush) mount but then screwed the sides in tight anyhow (cant use keys now). Even without fitting tight it cant move around at all. Though I can flex the pocket if I put my hand in there and push...cheap plastic.

02TafWhtSi
01-07-2003, 07:18 PM
ok thanks, I'm gonna go try it.