PDA

View Full Version : Revved past 8k?!

Suk02Si
12-19-2002, 12:33 AM
I didn't know it was at all possible but last night when I raced another hatch I was around 6.5k in third gear and at around 6700/6800 all of a sudden it popped out of gear. I was staring at the tach because I was getting ready to shift and saw it rev past 8k. When I let off the throttle I heard a pop, like backfire.

02SiHB
12-19-2002, 10:09 AM
Dude, I did it in my BMW once, even with a rev limiter, and I almost had 5 grand of damages on my hands.. be careful... I didn't think it was possible in a honda, but who knows

jaydub
12-19-2002, 10:33 AM
Most cars cut out the fuel supply when you hit the rev limiter. It's not exactly great for the car, but there is some protection in place to prevent a catastrophe. Just be careful, i've done it a couple times myself.

goy091
12-19-2002, 03:25 PM
hows it running now? check the engine. you can break/bend/mangle valves pretty good doing that, and that is def, not good.

IceD out N CALI
12-19-2002, 03:40 PM
hope your engine is ok- I remember magusdc5 misshifted on his rsx-s and had to get his engine rebuilt

Suk02Si
12-19-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
hope your engine is ok- I remember magusdc5 misshifted on his rsx-s and had to get his engine rebuilt
Yikes. I was driving the car all day today and it drove fine; no CEL either.

SpeedRacer
12-20-2002, 04:10 PM
yea but magus hit something like 9400 RPM that is alot more suk your cars fine

IceD out N CALI
12-20-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by SpeedRacer
yea but magus hit something like 9400 RPM that is alot more suk your cars fine

ya i know, but his car was designed to take 8k, but ya suk will be most likely be fine

Jpax
12-20-2002, 08:07 PM
Hit rev limiter in my 6th gen running up the express lanes, i went to shift and MISSED the shift, then i stuck it back in gear and had NO power, for about a min then it came back, i was like FUCK. i thought i blew my motor lol

http://www.imagestation.com/video/view.html?id=4244217236&dl=1

Watch in horror :eek:

Suk02Si
12-20-2002, 08:52 PM
hahaha 'fuck!!'

Whooopasss
12-20-2002, 10:33 PM
the only way you will blow your engine is by miss shifting.. what happend to you is that you were not in gear (popped out of gear) so you just hit your revlimit. If you accidentaly shifted to third when you were going for 5th during acceleration, then you would have over reved (engine break.. no fuel cut can save you) and blown your motor.

Jpax
12-21-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Whooopasss
the only way you will blow your engine is by miss shifting.. what happend to you is that you were not in gear (popped out of gear) so you just hit your revlimit. If you accidentaly shifted to third when you were going for 5th during acceleration, then you would have over reved (engine break.. no fuel cut can save you) and blown your motor.

Very true, because the momentum of the car accellerating then shifting into 3rd with that much froce going forward the engine could not possibly keep up with it....I didn't even think about that aspect of it.

Dunrick
12-22-2002, 11:35 AM
I was driving my bud's rsx - s and those are really easy to misshift, I doubt you could do it on ours...anyways I was going like 70mph on the freeway, and accidently hit second...I caught it before it revv'ed up high , thanks to my jedi reflexes - anyways it only got up to like 6krpm before i quickly slammed the clutch back in - peace

Whooopasss
12-22-2002, 02:38 PM
"The Force will be with you.. always. (http://starwars.volzpdx.com/media/force2.wav)

HokieSi
04-21-2003, 02:32 PM
The same thing happened to me!!! I went to pass a old v6 camaro and I dropped down to 3rd from 60 mph and all of the sudden I approached redline and the damn thing hits the fuel cut off and its pops out of gear. All of the sudden I look down and I see my rpms round 8k I hear a pop push in the clutch and continue in 4th. This happened all in about 2 seconds. The car drives fine, I got not cel from the incident. I know the tach is off a bit some i'm wondering if me seeing 8k is really about 7.5k. You guys think I am good to go? The car didn't seem as powerful after that, but it still gets up and goes, hehe. It my just be in my head.

SoCaLep3
04-21-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE
Hit rev limiter in my 6th gen running up the express lanes, i went to shift and MISSED the shift, then i stuck it back in gear and had NO power, for about a min then it came back, i was like FUCK. i thought i blew my motor lol

http://www.imagestation.com/video/view.html?id=4244217236&dl=1

Watch in horror :eek:

noo... repost plz it doesnt work

fyzm7357
04-21-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by SoCaLep3

noo... repost plz it doesnt work

Ditto....