PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Carbon Fiber

logos22
01-19-2011, 10:14 PM
So I just received my CF Mugen wing from Showstoppersusa, and it's a little damaged. I thought about calling them up and sending it back, but I got it cheap during the Christmas sale so I thought I might hold on to it. Aside from the pictures, there are also some small hairline cracks, and there seems to be a bit of a gap on the right side of the wing where the fin meets the metal adjuster piece. So what would be the best way to go about repairing the damaged bits? Would leaving it as it is cause more damage in the long run? Thanks for helping guys :)

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae314/logos22/CF3.jpg

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae314/logos22/CF2.jpg

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae314/logos22/CF1.jpg

urthworm
01-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Was it used or new? if its new I would send it back. I had a carbon hood and once it started to crack it spread all over.

KaeDu
01-19-2011, 11:30 PM
I wouldn't accept them new or used unless they show pictures or informed you of the damage. However be aware that if you don't insure it during the shipping process that you could find yourself in a situation like that as well.

logos22
01-20-2011, 12:28 AM
It was new, but I didn't pay for insurance; I didn't even know that was an option. The pictures make it look worse than it does in person. If it were mounted on the car, I doubt anyone would notice. However, I am concerned if these small chips will cause major damage later on down the line when the wing is exposed to sun and rain. If I send it back, I will probably have to pay for shipping and I don't want the hassle. Is there a special way to repair this kind of damage? Some places that I have looked said to wet sand the area with 1500-2000 paper and then spray 3 coats of epoxy. Anyone else have any suggestions?

SIisaLowRydaEP3
01-20-2011, 12:39 AM
it was either damaged during shipping or from factory you should at least let showstoppers know i think they should take care of it its not like it was your fault so what if you got a xmas special price you should get a wing that was not damaged

logos22
01-20-2011, 12:47 AM
Yeah, I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see what my options are. I also posted my pics in the customer service thread. I feel confident that I can repair it though, if need be. If anyone has any knowledge of such a repair project, please let me know. I've never done this kind of work before.

talonXracer
01-20-2011, 06:39 AM
That can be easily repaired with a little Ca(super glue). These Cf reproductions have a SINGLE outer layer of very lightweight graphite cloth(not Cf) with a heavy fiberglas backing and a low cost epoxy matrix. The repair could be cleared, but a painted part will last far longer.

Manny Kid 15
01-20-2011, 08:11 AM
i bought a Cf trunk that had the same issue but it was used and it was fedex who messed it up, but it would be easier for you just to return it...especially since it was new...call chuck at showstoppers im sure he'll hook you up

smykhaisouk
01-20-2011, 08:47 AM
return it! if you attmpt to repair it and do a poor job, you may end up getting water under the gelcoat and introduce oxiation inside and out. also if you're in below freezing temps the water will freeze up inside the cf weaves and eventually crack them apart. i doubt Oahu gets below 32 degrees though...

logos22
01-20-2011, 11:39 AM
I called showstoppers, but they said I had to file a claim with ups first before they could do anything. If for some reason I can't get a return, would superglue really do the trick? I just want to seal up the damaged areas so the elements won't damage the rest of the wing. Perhaps something like epoxy or spray clear will do the job? If I get a refund, I might just go with a paint marched fiberglass wing. This whole experience has kind of ruined carbon fiber for me lol.

Manny Kid 15
01-20-2011, 11:49 AM
i would honestly not let this ruin your experience with carbon fiber...UPS should take care of it as long as the packaging was done correctly

talonXracer
01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Epoxy or a spray clear WILL NOT penetrate the cracks. A thin super glue will fix it. The best place to procure the super glue is at a hobby shop, you need the super thin type. Also get a few of the dripper tips to apply the glue and a small bottle of Ca accelerator. mask off the area very well , slightly flex the part and apply ONE drop at a time into the crack, release the pressure and then spritz with a Ca accelerator. The Ca is the only substance that will wick into the micro cracks within the epoxy matrix. Be carefull the glue can run everywheres and why it is essential to mask off.

Damage like this is a sure sign of excessive low grade epoxy and a light layup.

logos22
01-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks, talon. I'm gunna give that super glue trick a try, if need be. Will the super glue prevent any elements from da aging the rest of the wing? Also, can anyone tell me what the piece of metal is between the fin and the bracket in the last picture at the bottom? It looks like it was wedged in there and doesn't look like it should be there. The left side of the fin is completely flush with the bracket.

talonXracer
01-20-2011, 03:07 PM
If you repair that area make sure you wear gloves, the blue Nytrile gloves work fine.

logos22
01-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I'm mostly concerned with how I'm going to fix the spider cracks though. I'm taking it to a body guy tomorrow to get an opinion. If untreated, how long would it take for the cracks to get worse and spread? Since the wing is attached to the hatch the bumps of the road would probably agitate them more. Also, the package that the wing came in is in good condition so I doubt UPS will do anything about it. I still have up to three days to make a decision though. I almost just want to say fuck it and mount it already just so I can enjoy the wing.

hothatch
05-04-2011, 06:49 PM
return it