PDA

View Full Version : o2 sensors and downpipe question

EP_three
01-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Ok so I just installed my megan catless downpipe and the type R header and as I expected I got a check engine light for o2 sensor garbage, my question is, is this ok to be driving around with bad o2 sensors? As ive heard the EP3 relys on the o2 sensors quit alot to regulate the AFR. However I am getting kpro by summer so i will just tune them out. I just bought a AEM UEGO wideband to monitor my AFR, can I use the bung from the secondary o2 for my wideband?

EPo3Hatch
01-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Its my understanding the o2 sensor regulates the right amount of gas your engine needs to get the right mpg. If the sensor is bad, it just guesses and you get horrible gas mileage. That's my theory, its probably wrong I just know when I had a bad sensor, ghe one in the cat, I had terrible gas mileage until it was replaced.I believe they make plugs that eliminate the code

EP_three
01-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Its my understanding the o2 sensor regulates the right amount of gas your engine needs to get the right mpg. If the sensor is bad, it just guesses and you get horrible gas mileage. That's my theory, its probably wrong I just know when I had a bad sensor, ghe one in the cat, I had terrible gas mileage until it was replaced.I believe they make plugs that eliminate the code

well I'm catless. From what I've read as long as I use the option in kpro to turn of obII codes or whatever I'll be fine with just the primary o2 and a wideband.

Falcon7
01-23-2011, 05:18 PM
The code you're getting isn't because the O2 sensors are "bad" but because the secondary O2 sensor is getting the same/similar reading as the primary.

Why is this a problem? The secondary O2 sensor has to get a different reading than the primary in order for the ECU to verify that the catalytic converter is working for OBDII purposes.

Your car will be fine.

If you're worried about the check engine light you could do the mechanical O2 simulator trick. You may want to research this more in depth for exact part #'s, etc. Basically, you put one or two O2 non-fouler's between the secondary O2 sensor and the exhaust pipe and it's supposed to give enough of a differential reading to trick the computer.

Hope this helps.

*edit* As you mentioned, if you plan on going K-pro then you can just disable OBDII and you will also be fine.