PDA

View Full Version : Defrost??

ep3blue03
01-23-2011, 03:08 PM
So i was picking my step son up from his grandparents which is about an hour away and my car is frosting up on the inside. Not just fogging it was actually icing up on the top of my windshield? My defrost was blowing heat like normal, it was hot air and it would only keep about a foot up from my dashboard clear. All of my windows were fogged . I dont know what the problem is? The only thing i can think of is that maybe my seal on my windshield is not so good anymore? I live in cleveland its like 10 degrees , its not anything to crazy. Has anyone else had this or know of a solution. Thanks .

RedSiBaron
01-23-2011, 03:33 PM
is your a/c on or working? you need a/c to work to properly defrost since it remove the moisture on the windshield...

ep3blue03
01-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Yes my ac works fine I think, I mean it did when it was warm. But this has only done this twice to me. Would it cause all my windows to fog too?

Falcon7
01-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Sometimes when I run the defroster in the morning I notice that after the front windows are defrosted/defogged the rear quarter windows will be all fogged up.

I doesn't get too crazy cold here but still, that's my experience with that situation.

ep3blue03
01-23-2011, 06:42 PM
It was all of my window. There was actually ice on the top of my windshield. It was crazy.

username011
01-23-2011, 06:57 PM
I think our cars just have really crappy AC units and defrost, everyone I know in Corpus with an EP their AC is broken.. Just like mine was..

My windows are always fogged up.. I just crack the window..

RedSiBaron
01-24-2011, 10:03 AM
I think our cars just have really crappy AC units and defrost, everyone I know in Corpus with an EP their AC is broken.. Just like mine was..

My windows are always fogged up.. I just crack the window..

My shit works well cuz I maintain it...

OP...let's start with diagnosing the a/c first...goto an autoparts store and let's have them pull a vacuum on the system and replace the coolant...If it holds a vaccuum, then we can be confident you don't have a leak, and with refreshed coolant we can test to see if it dries properly and the defrost works well...if problem persists we can look elsewhere

it may or may not need it, but what I'm thinking is it may not be drying the system...only issue here is your dryer in the system (vertical aluminum tube around drives headlight) could be at the end of its life. The a/c dryer uses what is called a desiccant dryer to remove moisture from the system. Eventually the dryer will no longer be able to remove moisture and your a/c system will not be as effective and eventually wear out quicker because of the accumulating moisture.

27rocks
02-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread but i'm having some problems with my rear window defrost. I checked the fuse and all is good. Can't think of what it could be.

Passenger
02-11-2011, 12:27 PM
I was fapping in your hatch, sorry Rob

usedep3
02-11-2011, 01:03 PM
did u check the plug on the window for the rear defroster?i almost missed it but mine my slipped off and i thought the guy who did my tints fucked up my rear window.

27rocks
02-11-2011, 02:06 PM
I was fapping in your hatch, sorry Rob
lol

did u check the plug on the window for the rear defroster?i almost missed it but mine my slipped off and i thought the guy who did my tints fucked up my rear window.
Everything is plugged in. I'll try and unplug it and clean it then plug it back in.

Not sure if there are two fuses one being in the engine bay and one possibly under the dash?? I'll check to see if there is one...

27rocks
02-11-2011, 02:58 PM
So after opening my FSM pdf file i did a step by step procedure.
There are two fuses.. one being a relay under the hood and one under the dash (#14 10A). Checked everything and all seemed good.
Then i checked to see if somehow the thin metal strip across the window had somehow got damaged (i throw my bike in the back on a daily basis). Although there were a few little nicks in the tint nothing was damaged. So the last resort was pulling off the plastic to the wire attachments (seeing that it was the hardest to do i left it for last lol).
After a close inspection i noticed that the left (driver side) plug wasnt on all the way. It was basically about to fall off so i plugged it back in. Everything works now lol.

usedep3
02-11-2011, 03:24 PM
So after opening my FSM pdf file i did a step by step procedure.
There are two fuses.. one being a relay under the hood and one under the dash (#14 10A). Checked everything and all seemed good.
Then i checked to see if somehow the thin metal strip across the window had somehow got damaged (i throw my bike in the back on a daily basis). Although there were a few little nicks in the tint nothing was damaged. So the last resort was pulling off the plastic to the wire attachments (seeing that it was the hardest to do i left it for last lol).
After a close inspection i noticed that the left (driver side) plug wasnt on all the way. It was basically about to fall off so i plugged it back in. Everything works now lol.

i told you! same thing happened to me. i was all worried that i had to replace the glass bc after checking what i thought was everything, i assume the wiring inside the glass was damaged. glad you figured it out!

whatsvtec
02-11-2011, 04:00 PM
So i was picking my step son up from his grandparents which is about an hour away and my car is frosting up on the inside. Not just fogging it was actually icing up on the top of my windshield? My defrost was blowing heat like normal, it was hot air and it would only keep about a foot up from my dashboard clear. All of my windows were fogged . I dont know what the problem is? The only thing i can think of is that maybe my seal on my windshield is not so good anymore? I live in cleveland its like 10 degrees , its not anything to crazy. Has anyone else had this or know of a solution. Thanks .

I've got the same issue. I'm kinda ignoring it since this is the only winter I plan on using the ep3 for DD