PDA

View Full Version : need help with axles

jgn6848
01-25-2011, 09:56 PM
I searched all over but cannot find any answers... here's some of my history... I make about 200whp @8600rpm (its a k20a2 motor) and drive pretty hard (rapid downshifting and WOT runs). Im still using the ep3 drivetrain and axles since i might swap next year to a boosted k24 later after I blow my current set up ..... I just replaced my OEM passenger side axle using a new unit after the old one internally shattered in the inside joint (the one close to the intremediate shaft) and now my driver side axle looks like its about to wear out too. Additionally, the new axles I installed seems to be a "new remanufacture" & doesn't seem to hold up well. here's my question.. do I really want to spend $400 on a pair DSS stage 0 axles which are not power rated when I can get a pair of yonaka axles which are rated at 300whp. Anyone heard of this company or these axles??? Please dont tell me to go with DSS 2.9 or 3.9 as that would be overkill for now. I really just need good cheap aftermarket axles not a real race axle as my future plans for this car are not definate!! this is my DD hence any help would be appreciated!!

TigerBallZ
01-25-2011, 10:13 PM
I've broke the DSS stage 0 and the shaft material looks like powdered metal. I say just go with the oem replacement like GSP. It has been holding up quite well with my power level, and it has seen the dragstrip a few times. I have a pair of axles along with some tools just in case I snap one.

usedep3
01-25-2011, 10:56 PM
when i called dss they told me that their stage 0 axles are meant for oem replacements and not upgrades. i have a used driver's side oem axle i'm willing to sell on the cheap

jgn6848
01-26-2011, 08:01 AM
thanks guys... my other question is... are the GSP axles totally new axles and not remanufactered... coz I dont want regrinds which have been refurbished, I want totally new pair of axles. Also Has anybody heard of YONAKA axles..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03-04-05-06-PAIR-Acura-RSX-Axles-300whp-K20A-Shafts-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aRSXQ7cSubmodelQ3aB aseQQhashZitem483e5e8f5aQQitemZ310284029786QQptZMo torsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

From the picture they look very well made and have OEM features such as rubber dampers... also they claim to be rated at 300whp

What do you guys think?

PREJDMLUDE
02-05-2011, 09:16 AM
They suck I just went and ordered Dss stage 0 . The boot on the axles both sides were shitty like some whack ass rubber and my driver side on which is the reason I replaced. I did a oil change noticed grease every where because the axle had a slit right on the seam of were the boat was made. I called that company and said we have warranty but something could have caused it blah blah blah . Screw it spend the extra and get oem or . My oem ones are back in till I get my coil overs back from tein. The driver side pops but it holding up better then yon aka .

japarossa
02-05-2011, 10:17 AM
thanks guys... my other question is... are the GSP axles totally new axles and not remanufactered... coz I dont want regrinds which have been refurbished, I want totally new pair of axles. Also Has anybody heard of YONAKA axles..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03-04-05-06-PAIR-Acura-RSX-Axles-300whp-K20A-Shafts-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aRSXQ7cSubmodelQ3aB aseQQhashZitem483e5e8f5aQQitemZ310284029786QQptZMo torsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

From the picture they look very well made and have OEM features such as rubber dampers... also they claim to be rated at 300whp

What do you guys think?
I bought a pair of yonaka axles lastyear to have spares for the track, I haven't had to use them yet but they look to be good quality. Side by side with oem its hard to tell the difference. They do come with a warranty and at the price I got them for you can't go wrong. I think oem is alot better but you can buy several sets of these for the price of oem (atleast here in Canada).

jgn6848
02-06-2011, 12:04 PM
looks like the remanufactured passenger axle is not holding up. The vibration during acceleration is getting very intense... time for another one & this time I will order both left and right side. I want to replace both with a matching set (from the same manufacterer). I went ahead and ordered from a company called AUP since they have a slighty better review upon searching the internet. I will keep you guys updated after the install.

RedSiBaron
02-06-2011, 12:58 PM
if you are running 200hp, run stock axles, they are made to last for 100k+

Guardian
02-06-2011, 01:05 PM
empi's are a good replacement, oem like not rebuilts

RedSiBaron
02-06-2011, 01:24 PM
empi's are a good replacement, oem like not rebuilts

you sayin oem, not rebuilt?

if you are competent, rebuilding with the honda rebuild kit is pretty good when you get oem axles used

jgn6848
02-16-2011, 02:17 PM
I ordered two new base rsx axles made by AUP from rock auto. My fist impression... These are very well made and come with everything needed for installation(C clip & axle nut). The boot seals excellent, they is no excessive movement and they even have a vibration damper. Install for the passenger side took 30 minutes since I had just replaced it 3 months ago. The driver's side took 1.5 hours. Install was very straight forward (only hard part is removing the lower ball joint.

DRIVING IMPRESSION

who says only OEM axles are quality built:mbiggrin:.... for the total price of $160 shipped, THESE AXLES are excellent... hands down. No vibration even @100mph. Hopefully they can stand my style of driving. I would reccomend these as an OEM alternative:mcool: