01-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Any help would be nice! thanks!

TXEP3
01-26-2011, 03:39 PM
http://www.simplegreen.com/products_all_purpose_wipes.php

Google is a great invention.

Supaduck
01-26-2011, 03:55 PM
trust me, ive been looking. I just wanted some more opinions. i hear spray your car, dont spray it, enginge degreaser, cover this cover that, pressure washer, steam cleaner. so i have done a bit of research. just wondering if anybody's done somethign like that, the entire engine bay is pretty dirty so if i can just degrease it all and hose it down that would be ideal!

EP3_03
01-26-2011, 03:58 PM
yup i use simple green and it works great

RHCP0801
01-26-2011, 04:08 PM
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/how-to-detail-your-engine-bay/

pictures dont work anymore in this thread

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=591248

MBaG
01-26-2011, 04:15 PM
cover the distributer/anything electrical, then engine degreaser + pressure washer.

TXEP3
01-26-2011, 05:44 PM
cover the distributer/anything electrical, then engine degreaser + pressure washer.

your ep3 has a distributor? o.O

also the reason for people saying dont pressure wash is because think about it... sure you can cover electrical stuff but you're never gonna get all of it covered. even if you do somehow, do you really wanna risk super high pressure water getting into places it shouldnt? take the time to go over everything by hand with those simple green rags. trust me, it works better and if anything else it's a bonding experience with you and your car.

introvert
01-26-2011, 05:49 PM
death to the CAI!

Heh. nice links, gonna try and handle this while the weather is still nice

RHCP0801
01-26-2011, 06:07 PM

lmao, too funny

ep3colin
01-26-2011, 06:20 PM
engine degreaser at o-reilleys

MBaG
01-26-2011, 07:49 PM
your ep3 has a distributor? o.O

also the reason for people saying dont pressure wash is because think about it... sure you can cover electrical stuff but you're never gonna get all of it covered. even if you do somehow, do you really wanna risk super high pressure water getting into places it shouldnt? take the time to go over everything by hand with those simple green rags. trust me, it works better and if anything else it's a bonding experience with you and your car.

hey, he said how to clean engine bay not how to clean ep3 engine bay! but anyway, yea, did this to clean a 240sx engine bay. it did wonders.

ShadowEP3
01-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Simple Green + Meguiar's Supreme Shine

Supaduck
01-27-2011, 01:54 AM
Will the simple green spray+ paper towels do the trick or is there actually a difference? (i can buy a huge bottle of the spray for pretty cheap D:)

TXEP3
01-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Pretty much any combination of Simple Green products. I actually prefer the spray because you can let it sit on greasy areas and really let the simple green break it down.

BeaterEP
01-27-2011, 07:21 AM
I'll usually mist the whole bay, then give it a pretty good coating of SG, let it sit for a few minutes while I hit some of the dirtier areas with something like a wheel brush (anything with soft bristles should work), then gently rinse the whole thing.
The important thing is to let it all dry thoroughly before starting it up, that way you don't get any shorts or screwy shit. :mbiggrin:
If you have a compressor, that would probably help a lot too, just to blow water away from sensitive areas.
Honestly, as long as you let things dry out, electrical problems shouldn't crop up.

POOPTOOTH
01-27-2011, 07:30 AM
And always remember, make sure you're engine is cool when you clean it! Helps avoid spotting, etc.

BeaterEP
01-27-2011, 07:42 AM
troof

AKEP
01-27-2011, 06:13 PM
once a month i drop my engine through the bottom and give it a thorough cleaning all around. i use a specialized steam cleaner that helps get all the dirt out from the cracks and crevices.

i wish.

simple green ftw though. keywords are KEEP IT COOL. or you'll stain things and all that.

JayRSXS
01-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Simple green and a hose

Supaduck
01-28-2011, 02:47 PM
okay, i kinda really want to be able to spray it down, its gonna be hell for me to try to get down into everything. im just gonna use a regular hose, but again, what should i cover specifically?so far i know the alternator, and the air filter.

k20power
01-28-2011, 03:28 PM
okay, i kinda really want to be able to spray it down, its gonna be hell for me to try to get down into everything. im just gonna use a regular hose, but again, what should i cover specifically?so far i know the alternator, and the air filter.

do it at the car wash 1st..with the engine/tire degreaser but try to avoid spraying on the alternator

Mr_Safeway
01-28-2011, 03:57 PM
So if I had sprayed my engine when it was warm and there are spots, is there anyway to get the spots off? thx.

k20power
01-28-2011, 03:58 PM
some wont come off and some might...my friend spots on his intake manifold wont come off

Mr_Safeway
01-28-2011, 04:19 PM
crap.

k20power
01-28-2011, 05:19 PM
but give it a try..spray engine degreaser with when the engine is cold..leave for like 30 min then wash it off..but dont forget to cover your alternator or anything electrical that can get wet

RHDmeatwagon
01-29-2011, 07:05 AM
You guys may think I'm crazy, But for all those little place you cant get into and they still have dirt on them I use a clay bar.
It forms to however you need it and can get in between any brackets or mounts fairly well. Been using that for years. And my bay is always clean :D

EDIT: not the same clay I use on the exterior paint.

BeaterEP
01-29-2011, 08:25 AM
:thumbu: That's actually a really good idea!...clay car, then just use that used up clay bar to grab all the bits of crap you can't get to.
I like it!

As for covering stuff...I'd say go ahead and cover the alternator, maybe the fuse box just to be on the safe side, but really as long as you let things dry out completely after you're done, you shouldn't have any problems. You get electrical problems when you get excited and start her up to soon, with water still sitting somewhere. That's when shit is gonna start shorting out.
Personally, I never cover anything. :meek: I just make sure to leave the bay sitting for a couple hours with the hood up, and let it dry out really well.
Never had a problem.

CivicSier
03-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Electric leaf blowers work wonders on drying a engine bay.

sicivicguy
03-02-2011, 10:41 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k147/sicivicguy/581890fa.jpg

Expample... ^ Just cover everything with foil and plastic bags.... THEN SPRAY AWAY!... BUT!... make sure you dry all plugs and connectors before starting car to be sure.

soloep3
03-08-2011, 11:00 AM
pick up a spray can of Gunk engine degreaser. make sure the engine is warm when u apply.. also apply when it's running...and then close the hood sagger notch. leave engine running,... this product decreases the engine compartment by itself... maybe a lil wiping here and there. after about 10 min of so( it'll look like the engine is smoking during this time) jus hose it off. don't be retarded and spray water directly into ur air filter( AND DONT SATURATE UR FILTER...ITLL REMOVE THE OIL ON IT) also don't spray directly into the alternator either... it's ok to get the engine wet, what the hell u think happens when it rains????

alonzo909
03-19-2011, 05:38 PM
everything the same if turbo? or are there other procedures and precautions to take?

AKAahlecks
04-30-2011, 09:16 PM
would it be okay if the alternator gets wet? as in splashes on it here and there and not a direct spray?

ninebreaker8
09-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Truth
http://www.simplegreen.com/products_all_purpose_wipes.php

google is a great invention.

black05ep
09-03-2012, 07:08 PM
My alternator gets wet when i clean it. I lightly spray around my lights and fuse box.i even sprayed the battery never had a problem. Had the car for 5 years now and cleaned it the same from day one. Simple green/mean green will spot some aluminum parts.i do blow the engine down with an air compressor still runs like a champ.