PDA

View Full Version : I can't remove the damn oil filter!

Aklass
01-26-2011, 03:59 PM
So you guys know the place the oil filter is, there is no room to maneuver a channel lock or screwdriver back there while on your back, I tried laying on the engine aswell as wrapping rope around the damn thing, either way I couldn't get it off. I need some help!

MBaG
01-26-2011, 04:09 PM
take off your wheel, and go through there. you can manuver your arm straight to the oil filter, and you'll have tons of leverage too.

Aklass
01-26-2011, 04:29 PM
will try! Previous owner of the car had jiffy lube do the last change, They overtightened the thing so damn hard.. they should know to hand tighten only..

LOVIN MY EP3
01-26-2011, 04:56 PM
If its really that hard I usually take a screw driver and a hammer and poke a hole threw it your gonna have to use different sizes to twist it off

ep3colin
01-26-2011, 04:56 PM
im pretty damn sure the manual says to tighten the oil filter to more than "hand tight"

go to wall mart and buy yourself a 5 dollar tool that tightens down on oil filters to get them off

introvert
01-26-2011, 05:12 PM
sandpaper. works (almost) every time.

Draw7Seven
01-26-2011, 05:15 PM
If the outside of the filter is clean, I like to use dipped gloves to get a good grip on it. I found I was never applying direct force with my hands until I could put on a pair of dipped gloves that just CLING to the outer surface and allow me to rip that sucker to the left.

shanewdude
01-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Yah, grippy gloves and then I reach up with my right arm through the lower control arm of the left suspension and my left arm near the exhaust manifold (from underneath). Swearing helps, most of the time.

beechstreet
01-26-2011, 07:55 PM
im pretty damn sure the manual says to tighten the oil filter to more than "hand tight"

go to wall mart and buy yourself a 5 dollar tool that tightens down on oil filters to get them off

overtightening filters is a no no. always do hand tight.

Falcon7
01-27-2011, 06:35 AM
Any parts store should have a few "import" filter wrenches. Pick one of those up. and you'll be golden.

jeenyusss
01-27-2011, 06:47 AM
i would expect nothing less from jiffy lube

BeaterEP
01-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Yah, grippy gloves and then I reach up with my right arm through the lower control arm of the left suspension and my left arm near the exhaust manifold (from underneath). Swearing helps, most of the time.

I think that's the important step that's missing in this thread.
If you're not prepared to make sailors blush, don't even pop the hood. :mbiggrin:

T_Virus
01-27-2011, 01:43 PM
So you guys know the place the oil filter is, there is no room to maneuver a channel lock or screwdriver back there while on your back, I tried laying on the engine aswell as wrapping rope around the damn thing, either way I couldn't get it off. I need some help!

For a moment there I was lost...

It really does. It gets you all fired up to pull that oil filter off...

OP if you can't get it off just got to walmart/kragen/autozone and buy the oil filter remover.

superchargedk20
01-27-2011, 06:43 PM
I had a k&N oil filter and i drained the oil and when it came time to take off the filter that sucker wouldnt move. After swearing at it, still wouldnt come off. So i just left it there to stew about what it was donig with no oil. After showing the oil filter no attention for a day i went back the next day wrapped a paper towel around it and the sucker came off.

RHCP0801
01-27-2011, 06:49 PM
dont k&n filters have the socket thing on the bottom?

superchargedk20
01-27-2011, 06:55 PM
dont k&n filters have the socket thing on the bottom?

yea but i couldnt get the socket over it caus theres not much room to work with

shanewdude
01-27-2011, 06:58 PM
I had a k&N oil filter and i drained the oil and when it came time to take off the filter that sucker wouldnt move. After swearing at it, still wouldnt come off. So i just left it there to stew about what it was donig with no oil. After showing the oil filter no attention for a day i went back the next day wrapped a paper towel around it and the sucker came off.

You didn't swear hard enough for the profanity to sink in and cause the filter to want to disappear. I beat mine into submission in front of the new one so the replacement filter knows what's in store for it should it not come off easily.

superchargedk20
01-27-2011, 07:32 PM
You didn't swear hard enough for the profanity to sink in and cause the filter to want to disappear. I beat mine into submission in front of the new one so the replacement filter knows what's in store for it should it not come off easily.

haha good strategy. stupid oil filter. prolly never saw it comming muahahahha. U evil man you

Aklass
01-27-2011, 08:28 PM
So the assholes at Jiffy lube over torque the shit out of everything, I had to turn the wheel right and have my dad under the car to guide the channel lock while I squeezed and turned from the passenger side to get the filter off. Also when I removed the oil bolt, there was red lock tight on it and I had to use a breaker bar because my 1/2 ratchet wouldn't cut it. F U Jiffy lube!

shanewdude
01-27-2011, 09:28 PM
haha good strategy. stupid oil filter. prolly never saw it comming muahahahha. U evil man you
My car knows who's boss. :whip:

So the assholes at Jiffy lube over torque the shit out of everything, I had to turn the wheel right and have my dad under the car to guide the channel lock while I squeezed and turned from the passenger side to get the filter off. Also when I removed the oil bolt, there was red lock tight on it and I had to use a breaker bar because my 1/2 ratchet wouldn't cut it. F U Jiffy lube!
Wow, red lock tight is not really a good substitution for a new crush washer to keep the plug from coming loose! I buy a year of crush washers at a time from Honda... transmission drain plug washers, too (I try to do the tranny oil every second oil change).

Twisted-X
01-27-2011, 09:44 PM

I also had to use Channelock's to get the OEM filter off when I did the first oil change of the car. Crush the hell out of it, then turn.

USAF EP3
01-27-2011, 09:52 PM
This has never failed me:

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/tools/CHT424.jpg

(Imitates Jim Carrey)

OIL FILTERS BEWARE THE CLAW!!!!

username011
01-27-2011, 10:26 PM
This has never failed me:

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/tools/CHT424.jpg

(Imitates Jim Carrey)

OIL FILTERS BEWARE THE CLAW!!!!

LOL. you guys are funny.

Weird thing is.. ive never had a problem getting my oil filter off.

AKEP
01-27-2011, 10:44 PM
i put mine on a lift and use a claw type wrench. if its stuck.