PDA

View Full Version : steering rack disassembly

captaingamez
01-28-2011, 09:44 AM
i went for an alignment yesterday and the shop was unable to get my wheel straight and have the vehicle aligned. the shop told me that it was because the car had been in an accident and the steering rack had jumped a tooth or more. he told me that if i took the rack apart and reset the helical gear and brought it back, he would re-align it for free and get the wheel straight. so my question is how do you
A: get the rack out
and B: disassemble it and reset the gear.

or is it impossible and i should just get a new rack.

27rocks
01-28-2011, 09:58 AM
I would give it a shot before buying a new one you never know. I have the FSM for the Ep in a PDF file but i don't know how to post it on here. I'm pretty sure its got a step by step on how to take it apart and service it in there somewhere.

k20power
01-28-2011, 12:10 PM
yeah give it a shot and if u dont fix it u still gonna need to buy a new one

Zzyzx
01-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Couple of questions.

1. Has the car actually been in an accident that you know of?
2. have you lowered the car, and if so. How low is it riding.
3. Did they just run out of threads on the tie rod ends?

captaingamez
01-28-2011, 08:44 PM
hey thanks for all the responses guys, I actually have the FSM and there is a procedure to disassemble to a point, so i am probably going to pull it out and try it.

since i was looking at the FSM i was wondering, is it possible to just pull the steering column shaft off of the spline on the rack and just move it over a few splines? or does it have a key spline and only goes on one position?, I have never pulled the rack off an ep before.

the car has been in a low speed accident, the alignment shop said that was what caused the rack to be off, i am out of threads on the passenger side but have plenty on the driver side, and the car is lowered to 24.5" fender to floor in the front and 24 in the rear to add a bit of caster

ShadowEP3
01-28-2011, 10:33 PM
I would give it a shot before buying a new one you never know. I have the FSM for the Ep in a PDF file but i don't know how to post it on here. I'm pretty sure its got a step by step on how to take it apart and service it in there somewhere.

upload it to megaupload peasekthxbai :msmooch:

omgheyitskenny
01-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Did you happen to go to Network on Mesa Dr? I got fed the same story and my rack is fine. And no I don't have bewbs for all those with sick minds

captaingamez
01-29-2011, 12:28 AM
I didnt know there was one on mesa dr. i went to the one on cave creek Scott is a good guy there. im not sure about your case but if you look at my tie rods you can see one side has all the thread and other side has none.

oldschoolimport
01-29-2011, 03:27 PM
the shaft can turn 360 degrees on the rack, "jumping a cog" is a non-issue. the steering wheel may not be centered, but you shouldn't have to disassemble the rack to center the steering block. take it to someone who knows what they are talking about.

omgheyitskenny
01-30-2011, 12:58 AM
EDIT: nvm I retract my post

captaingamez
01-31-2011, 01:00 AM
I understand what your saying, so i just disconnect the steering joint from the rack, turn the rack and get it re centered with the tie rods, center the steering wheel, and reconnect it, am i correct on that?

i_love_my_ep3!
01-31-2011, 01:03 AM
I understand what your saying, so i just disconnect the steering joint from the rack, turn the rack and get it re centered with the tie rods, center the steering wheel, and reconnect it, am i correct on that?

sounds right i also have problems with my steering rack looking to fix it real soon i hope haha