PDA

View Full Version : broken coil spring...

Dbl-Htch
01-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Just curious, I searched on a few different forums but didn't come up with anything... has anyone here ever seen/ experienced a broken coil spring (on an EP or any other car for that matter)? Some quick background info- my EP has been on Eibach Pro-kits since 2003 (a few months after I bought it, was my 1st "real" mod lol). Stayed on stock shock/struts for about 4-1/2 years until 2007, when I got Tokico blues, never had any issues, car has never been raced, tracked, etc...
Well, a few weeks ago I noticed it was starting to sit a bit lower on the right front corner of the car. Finally got a chance to check it out, and well, I'l just let the pictures speak for themselves... :meek:
http://www.honda-tech.com/picture.php?albumid=15601&pictureid=65670

http://www.honda-tech.com/picture.php?albumid=15601&pictureid=65669

It's actually completely broken in 2 different places (on opposite sides of the same coil). Just wondering if this is as rare an occurrence as it seems, or is in fact a fairly (or at least somewhat) common thing... personally I've never seen/ heard of this happening before.
Would appreciate any/all feedback & comments... thanks!

02ES1
02-02-2011, 12:11 AM
That looks so sketch lol! Personally I would contact Eibach with the pics you have and a big "What THe FUCK!" As long as the springs were never cut I can't see them trying to pin this on you. hope you have your stock springs so you can swap them out.

k20power
02-02-2011, 01:22 AM
Is the car even safe to be driven like???

PatrickJamesYu
02-02-2011, 01:43 AM
I never really hear of springs breaking.
But on the VERY FEW occasions that I have, it has always been on eibach springs :/
But know that that was only 2 or 3 occasions.
2 of them eibach lowering springs
and the other were eibach/GroundControl collab springs.
I'd contact eibach.

I assume this is insanely unless to drive on
Be careful haha

i_love_my_ep3!
02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
That looks so sketch lol! Personally I would contact Eibach with the pics you have and a big "What THe FUCK!" As long as the springs were never cut I can't see them trying to pin this on you. hope you have your stock springs so you can swap them out.

you should do this! but for sure man in my 8 years of being around hondas and racing ect ect. i never seen this happen good luck man be safe.

Dbl-Htch
02-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the replies/ comments guys... yeah, I did contact Eibach as soon as I realized the spring was broken. They were very professional about it, told me to just send them a few pictures of the broken spring and they would send me a new pair. Sent the pics to them Friday night, got an e-mail from the lady I spoke with on Monday saying it was approved, and then another e-mail yesterday saying they had shipped, tracking # shows they should be here Friday. So pretty hassle-free so far... should be able to get the new ones installed over the weekend. I have been driving the car still, only back and forth to work, only 3 miles each way, and taking it very easy (especially on turns lol). :mredface:

Twisted-X
02-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Damn.:meek:
At least they were cool about it and didn't try to blame it on operator or installation error. :thumbu:
I had one of the OEM springs do this on the Accord, but only after 200k miles of salty midwest goodness.
My theory is that there was a nick in the coating right there, and moisture got in making it rust and it eventually weakened the metal.

i_love_my_ep3!
02-02-2011, 01:59 PM
cool that it worked out for you but id still think twice about driving it around better safe than sorry:mcool:

jonathan13
02-02-2011, 03:28 PM
This is why it is good to buy from reputable companies because even on the off chance that their product does fail they stand behind it 100%. Thumbs up to Eibach.

Dbl-Htch
02-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Yeah I was definitely pleased with their quick response/action on the matter. I'll probably continue to buy Eibach products in the future.
Too bad now it looks like Mother Nature has stepped in & thrown a wrench in the plan...
checked the tracking, it shows "severe weather delayed", probably won't get them until sometime next week now, so it'll probably have to wait until next weekend. *sigh* :mrolleyes:

.colin
02-04-2011, 10:33 AM
That's crazy, are you sure its a legit Eibach product? I know for awhile people were selling fake Tein products, I could easily seeing those break.

Dbl-Htch
02-04-2011, 01:12 PM
That's crazy, are you sure its a legit Eibach product? I know for awhile people were selling fake Tein products, I could easily seeing those break.

Yeah I do remember reading about the fake Tein thing a few years back. But really, how could I tell?
It's funny you should mention that, actually. The lady I spoke with at Eibach said to take a few pictures of the broken spring itself and their logo on it, just to prove it was theirs..."easy enough", I thought. Except when I took off the wheel and started looking, I quickly realized there was no logo anywhere on the spring! (At least that I could see.) I checked the other side front one, same thing. They rear ones did have the logo on them, so I just took a picture of one of those and sent it. I made sure I pointed out that I couldn't find any logo on the front ones, but she didn't even question it, just shipped a new set out no questions asked. Thought it was strange the front ones didn't have anything on them, would love to hear from someone else w/Eibachs as to whether or not theirs do... :mconfused:

02ES1
02-04-2011, 10:58 PM
When I had my 4 door I had Blues with Pro-kits and I do remember the logo being on all 4 springs. But if the paint had chipped off where the logo is, then that would explain it. Maybe it was a bad batch, and they dont wanna risk their name over a set of springs. It's not like it's gonna cost them a whole lot to replace and they just make a better rep for themselves.