PDA

View Full Version : Door can't be opened from inside!

JohnyBlaze
01-29-2011, 09:19 PM
My driver side inside door handle stopped working all of a sudden tonight. I need to roll down the window and open the door using the outside handle.

All locks are working fine, and all other doors / door handles are just fine.

What do you guys think? Disconnected latch cable? Can the latch cable become stretched over time?

Will this be an easy fix if I take off the door panel?

Thanks in advance for any help. Hoping to get some advice before I take off the door panel tomorrow.

Thanks!!
--jB

shanewdude
01-29-2011, 10:20 PM
I had this happen to me when I didn't put the cable housing end into a little plastic piece that holds it when I put my door handle on. You most likely have a problem with the end of the cable where it attaches to the handle. Take the door panel off and you should be able to fix it.

When you remove the door panel, I suggest using a trim tool that you can get at Partsource or NAPA; this will help prevent breaking the clips or the clip attachment points on the door panel (I broke one or two, but so far 2 years later the crazy glue is holding fine). I start the door panel removal at the bottom of the door where there is a little slotted hole.

Here's a video for door panel removal, courtesy of Jpax: Door panel removal video, click here. (http://importtuningtv.powertvonline.com/user_video_detail.php?mId=1111)

usedep3
01-29-2011, 10:34 PM
I had this happen to me when I didn't put the cable housing end into a little plastic piece that holds it when I put my door handle on. You most likely have a problem with the end of the cable where it attaches to the handle. Take the door panel off and you should be able to fix it.

When you remove the door panel, I suggest using a trim tool that you can get at Partsource or NAPA; this will help prevent breaking the clips or the clip attachment points on the door panel (I broke one or two, but so far 2 years later the crazy glue is holding fine). I start the door panel removal at the bottom of the door where there is a little slotted hole.

Here's a video for door panel removal, courtesy of Jpax: Door panel removal video, click here. (http://importtuningtv.powertvonline.com/user_video_detail.php?mId=1111)

^this. here's a pic i made for another member:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/usedep3/IMG_1108.jpg

this should make it easier for u to spot what you need to look for

JohnyBlaze
01-30-2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys -- I'll check it out today, after I get the trim popper tool.

Here's a question though...

I haven't had the door panel offer in over 6 years, when I had my speakers installed. Everything was fine all this time, until all of a sudden, the inside handle stopped working. How do you think that happened? Does this cable just become disconnected / loose over time?

There was a moment when I pulled the handle right when the door was unlocking. I think I felt something pop at that moment. Maybe that's when it broke.

RHCP0801
01-30-2011, 09:17 AM
it probably broke right where that indent is on the plastic piece, i have seen them break before from out of no where. Probably gonna need a new cable

JohnyBlaze
01-30-2011, 11:08 AM
it probably broke right where that indent is on the plastic piece, i have seen them break before from out of no where. Probably gonna need a new cable

No way to fix it without replacing? Crazy glue? How much is a new cable and how difficult would it be to install on my own?

Well, I guess the first step is to pop off the door panel and see what's going on!

RHCP0801
01-30-2011, 12:40 PM
i remember when i worked at honda some customer was bitching and complaining that they didnt want to wait for the new part to come in, so i wrapped that piece up in electrical tape and wedged it back in...the guy never came back and it worked.

here is a link from majestic honda, its #11 in the pic and its very cheap and it is kinda easy to install...the only hard part is getting to the part in the actuator assembly

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry2=2004&catcgry3=3DR+SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=DOOR+LOCKS

but yea, dont order it until you actually know that piece is broken