PDA

View Full Version : wheres all the power?! help

carbonfiber_ep3
01-30-2011, 10:34 PM
i have a 2003 ep3. my ride has been acting up as of lately. i was running my car i was in 3rd gear n i hit a corner way to fast when i tried shifting into 4 the force of the turn was so great i accidently shifted into 2nd :/. ever since then my 3 gear makes a scratching noise everytime it goes in unless i hold the clutch in for a couple seconds before the shift. my 4 gear at first wouldnt go in i kept poping out of gear but has now began to act normal....ish. the gear is still alot harder to shift out of then the rest of the gears. i know i messed it up n i have heard alot of difrent theories on whats jacked up. so my question is what could it be ? has this happened to anyone? ive been trying to find a transmission rebuild kit or just a new/used transmission so i can swap it in for the messed up one but NOBODY seems to carry the tranny.

i have a k20a3 n no i dont have enought to just do the complete swap for a difrent engine.

ep3colin
01-30-2011, 10:56 PM
okay, i think your pistons just added your valves on facebook and said " OH HAIIII!! slap slap slap" if you didnt your lucky

as for the issues that sounds tansmission related, be nice to your car, sounds like you f'ed up third and fourth gear syncros, not due to the downshift, probably due to repeated abuse by you and your "POWER SHIFTING!!!"

btw fourth is 80 mphs, why the FUCK were you trying to go 80 around a corner?

please, L2 drive

carbonfiber_ep3
01-31-2011, 12:06 AM
it wasnt excactly a turn more like a curve the car infront of me hit it going at around 100 mph so it wasnt a sharp turn. well my tranny has alot of mileage. 155k to be more precise. i cant honestly say i run it often unless once a week is alot. i recently replace the clutch on the car as well. the previous owner wasnt to nice to it. i had talked to some ppl who believe the gear itself might have been damaged n it might be missing some teeth. i have also heard the synchro theory before. im planning on fixing it sometime during the week but what would u recomend ? a new tranny ? just new synchro on all the gears ? rebuild ? the high mileage makes everything more complicated

ep3colin
01-31-2011, 12:47 AM
i suggest buying a porsche if you want to take corners that fast

i_love_my_ep3!
01-31-2011, 01:01 AM
well im sure since your asking whats the cheapest way to fix this you oblivious you dont have the cash to buy a porsche.

i dont beat on my hatch alot either it has 46k on it and my third grinds a lil at high rpms and i also miss shifted my hatch the first week a had it twice in too first lol i was 16 at the time that probly why it grinds. here my 2 cents i would just get a new tranny and be over with it or you would look around for a six speed for a good price.

cloumep3
01-31-2011, 09:37 AM
I'd open it up and see for yourself. The 3rd/4th gear synchro issue, especially with high mileage, is somewhat prone to happen. As mentioned by others, gear may have suffered some teeth loss or you may have wornout throwout bearing which makes the disengagement of gears difficult (sometimes stuck). IMO, best way, money and time wise, is to find another used tranny with lower miles and swap the tranny itself and sell your tranny housing and whatever's not beaten up inside. I sold my a3 tranny for $180 with 80k miles on it, but it did not have bad/wornout gears. I'm sure if you're patient about it, you can find something fairly inexpensive in good condition out there. GL!!!

RHCP0801
01-31-2011, 09:44 AM
ep3 trannies are for sale all the time

go on www.k20a.org and find one

BeaterEP
01-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Yeah, sounds like new tranny time. :mcry:

i_love_my_ep3!
01-31-2011, 01:27 PM
well let us know how it goes, because my 3 grinds too and soon will be in your shoes:mangel:

02TWSI
01-31-2011, 01:58 PM
okay, i think your pistons just added your valves on facebook and said " OH HAIIII!! slap slap slap" if you didnt your lucky

as for the issues that sounds tansmission related, be nice to your car, sounds like you f'ed up third and fourth gear syncros, not due to the downshift, probably due to repeated abuse by you and your "POWER SHIFTING!!!"

btw fourth is 80 mphs, why the FUCK were you trying to go 80 around a corner?

please, L2 drive

Why is everyone in jerk mode recently...jesus.

i_love_my_ep3!
01-31-2011, 02:55 PM
i suggest buying a porsche if you want to take corners that fast

i know man i honestly never try to ask questoions, then when i do i get flamed too but big deal its threw a computer:gheywa:

carbonfiber_ep3
01-31-2011, 04:15 PM
well ive been wanting to do a 6speed tranny swap on my car way before this happened. this just kinda sped up the process ......alot. i try to take care of my car but im not going to lie i occasionally do beat it u know ? what can i say its an si and around my neighborhood everyone seems to wanna try their luck out agianst it. considering that my car has a ton of mileage should i replace the entire thing. engineand tranny or should i just replace the tranny and wait till the engine dies out on me and do my k20a2 swap then. if i replace the engine right now its going to be the same engine k20a3. i have a around 1500 bucks n i was planning on investing them on performance mods. that doesnt look like its going to happen now

MD Ripper
01-31-2011, 05:20 PM
you could try and pick up a k24a1 for around that price. thats what im running right now, k24a1 with 6 speed. the torque is awesome.

i_love_my_ep3!
01-31-2011, 05:29 PM
yeah do that just peace a k24a1 swap up that what im doing all i need now is kpro i cant wait to feel this famous torque

MD Ripper
01-31-2011, 05:36 PM
nice! yeah i think kpro is one of the best mods. you can do whatever you want with it, no restrictions when you have kpro

i_love_my_ep3!
01-31-2011, 05:43 PM
yeah man if you do go ka4a1 there is a bunch of info here it really not that expensive just save save save hahah

carbonfiber_ep3
01-31-2011, 06:39 PM
thats intresting honestly i havnt heard anything about the k20a1 ive heard alot about the k20a2 and the k24 so i really looked into those swaps and the k20a2 swap sounds super sick. whats the horsepower on the k20a1 ? does it have the same ivtech as my k20a3 or does it have that true vtech like the k20a2 ? 6 speed ?

i_love_my_ep3!
01-31-2011, 07:49 PM
sorry bro ment to type k24a1 lol

carbonfiber_ep3
01-31-2011, 07:56 PM
hahahahahha yea i figured something was wrong ahah i couldnt find the engine anywhere. ive spent like the last hour looking it up. oh well. what kind of vtec does the k24a1 have ? whats the horse power ?

MD Ripper
02-01-2011, 09:27 PM
The k24a1 has the same ivtec as the a3. They have 160hp and 160 torque. Later on Dow. The road you can throw an a2 head on there and make 220+ hp plus all that extra torque. That's my plan atleast.

AKEP
02-01-2011, 09:35 PM
crack it open. get some oil on your hands.