PDA

View Full Version : RSX More Torque????? is this true?

bmx269
12-19-2002, 06:08 PM
I was talking to a friend and he was saying that the RSX base has more torque then us, I was like, hell no. Then we checked the websites, sure as shit, RSX 142lbs CIVIC 132lbs, is this correct? if so then wtf how and why. Please someone clear this up for me.

BlasTech
12-19-2002, 06:31 PM
I think its supposed to be 141 for the base and 142 for the type S. Think of it as potential gains for the Si, but we get better mpg.
:D

Will2K2
12-19-2002, 06:42 PM
Or think of it as Variable Lenght Intake Manifold and No Balance Shafts!!!! :rolleyes:

Dallas2k2Si
12-19-2002, 06:51 PM
Factory tuning is the answer. Any motor can develop a tremendous range of power depending on the engine management settings. Example: I dropped a stage II chip in my '91 S-10 4.3v6, put a 180 thermostat, cat back duals, open K&N air filter. This was the regular v6, not the HO version. I then proceeded to stomp on the higher factory HP rated SS S-10's. It's all in the tuning. And, as Detroit was famous for in the musclecar era of the 60's, factory HP ratings don't always necessarily align with the truth, high or low.

I won't even get into the diffence made in my buddy's 87 Grand National when he changes the chip in the mother board from stock to full race. Just a chip and bam, HP.

Jpax
12-19-2002, 07:06 PM
I think is abooot time you get to the bottom of this Hoser..... ;)

bmx269
12-20-2002, 12:20 AM
abooot? I am from BC, not Ontatio. lol

civic hatch boi
12-20-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by BlasTech
I think its supposed to be 141 for the base and 142 for the type S. Think of it as potential gains for the Si, but we get better mpg.

actually they get better mpg ;)

Gibhunter
12-20-2002, 07:04 AM
The following chart is taken from Hondata's website. Note the torque output on the short runners of the intake manifold only. It pretty much matches exactly to that of the 2002 Si. Notice then the torque increase when the long intake manifold runners are used.

http://www.hondata.com/images/techk20runnerlength.gif

What the long runners do, is they elongate the air intake into each cylinder while also becoming thinner. What it does is it forces the air to flow faster with more velocity. At low RPMs it greatly helps in forcing more air into the cylinders and also helps with mixing the air with fuel for a nice boost in power (as shown in the above dyno chart). The trade off is the high RPM breathing, and that's where the short runners come in at least on the Base RSX that is.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
12-20-2002, 08:07 AM
could have something to do w/ our tiny 3/4" midpipes...haha.

TrippZ
12-20-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
could have something to do w/ our tiny 3/4" midpipes...haha.

1 3/8" actually

Glix2
12-20-2002, 12:51 PM
What is the diameter of the midpipe on the RSX and RSX S?

SmoothOperator
12-20-2002, 02:21 PM
Ontarians don't say "aboot", It's the people on the east coast that talk like that!
And have you been living under a rock!? This topic's been discussed a zillion times! :confused:

bmx269
12-20-2002, 02:27 PM
Sorry, living under a rock, you must mean all those mountains that are here in BC, :)

I am sorry for posting the topic again, I searched the forum and came up with nothing, so I asked. My bad.

BTW from my stand point, Ontario is Eastern. lol

George Knighton
12-20-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator
Ontarians don't say "aboot", It's the people on the east coast that talk like that!

Hmmm.

That's funny. All my friends in Ontario talk like that.

Even Hilary Weston, your last Crown representative, says "aboot"....

Finprof
12-20-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator
[B]Ontarians don't say "aboot", It's the people on the east coast that talk like that!

When I lived in Ontario, I said "aboot" and "hoose", but didn't know it until I moved to the US and other people pointed it out to me. My sister lives in Ottawa and it is very obvious in her pronunciation of the word.

SmoothOperator
12-20-2002, 03:08 PM
Quit being hosers eh! I'm trying to eat my poutine!

bmx269
12-20-2002, 03:26 PM
LOL. My friend says the people in Montreal eat everything with maple syrup on it. Is this true SmoothOperator?

SmoothOperator
12-20-2002, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure if that's true...wouldn't surprize me though. I once had a roomate from Hull, Quebec. That guy sure loved his molases, and sardines.....crazy frenchman!! He was a really cool guy though.....for a frog! :D

chunky
12-21-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Gibhunter
The following chart is taken from Hondata's website. Note the torque output on the short runners of the intake manifold only. It pretty much matches exactly to that of the 2002 Si. Notice then the torque increase when the long intake manifold runners are used.

http://www.hondata.com/images/techk20runnerlength.gif

What the long runners do, is they elongate the air intake into each cylinder while also becoming thinner. What it does is it forces the air to flow faster with more velocity. At low RPMs it greatly helps in forcing more air into the cylinders and also helps with mixing the air with fuel for a nice boost in power (as shown in the above dyno chart). The trade off is the high RPM breathing, and that's where the short runners come in at least on the Base RSX that is.

intake runner length has to do with resonance tuning. the longer a tube is, the lower rpm at which it will resonate. This resonance effect creates a low pressure area at the back of the intake valves which sucks more air into the cylinder. Shorter intake runner lengths have higher resonance RPM.

BlasTech
12-21-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi

actually they get better mpg ;)

:eek:

:confused:

:'(

:(

Jpax
12-21-2002, 11:22 AM
Ok so theres different slang in canada like westcoast dosn't say aboot, and eastcoat dose, and mid canada eats sardines and maplesuyrup on everything, wow that s alot to keep track of i dont want to come visit and piss someone off i dont phrase my words right, and dont eat sardines . lol. .......;)

lotsahondas
12-21-2002, 11:40 AM
becuase the stock tires suck so bad and spin like crazy. what do you think would have happened if this had more torque it would just sit there and spin ;-)

dan