PDA

View Full Version : VTEC Killer vs. K24a1 Swap

sicivicguy
01-31-2011, 11:49 PM
So.... I'm sort of kicking myself in the head right now. NO MATTER WHAT HAVE TO BUY K-PRO. SO... Thats $950 DONE!

Now to the more important issue thats been plaguing my mind for the past few weeks.... SWAP or Not?

I have currently in my car a F'd head due to bad cams/valve problems... AND THE ENGINE ONLY HAS LIKE 95K ON IT! So.... In my mind.... thats a big waste of $$$ to just dump the A3 for something different and new. BUT... "MONEY TALKS" as they say... but so does performance.

I see one vender selling K24a1's for $1,300 SHIPPED... Thats a pretty sweet deal. The head on it is better than the A3 head and it has slightly more torque.... WHY NOT THEN?:

With a K24a1 you need:
-Race header to clear the sway bar... MORE $$$... AND I'M IN CALI :mconfused:
-or I could use the stock header with no front sway... Hmmmmm.... NO!
-more reliable than the A3

But... The fact still remains in my head... 95K! So... I could go with something like Skunk2 cams and Valve Train... OR go crazier and swap in some A2 Cams into the stock A3 head to give me that "VTEC KILLER" engine.

Pro's with the KILLER:
-Everything stays looking the same and passes SMOG... :mwink:
-VTEC!!!!!
-Cheaper labor because it's not a whole swap.... AND I CAN PROBABLY DO IT MYSELF!
Con's:
-How reliable is this setup :mredface:

BUT!... Money talks... SO!... I know where I can spend $1,300 for a reliable CRV engine.... But where to get the A2 Cams and rockers to make me a "VTEC KILLER"... ? AND HOW MUCH AM I LOOKING AT FOR A VTEC KILLER?

HOPEFULLY this will be my last time I make a thread on wether or not I should get THIS or THAT... HELP ME OB1 KANOBE... YOUR MY ONLY HOPE :tehehyper:

superchargedk20
02-01-2011, 01:03 AM
are u looking to make serious power? The a3 can only take u so far

AUTiger
02-01-2011, 07:11 AM
the vtec killer will probably stand out more at smog than having a k24 in there. The loppy idle will stand out like a sore thumb.

I say a k24 vtec killer, haha

What type of bolt-ons do you have right now?

k20power
02-01-2011, 09:03 AM
A k24 from a tsx will be way better than from a crv

Heitzke
02-01-2011, 10:09 AM
A k24 from a tsx will be way better than from a crv

and way more money

Kumar
02-01-2011, 10:28 AM
I just did a K24A1 swap a couple of weeks ago and was able to use the stock EP exhaust manifold with stock EP exhaust. It bolted right up with no clearance issues with the stock sway bar.

I had a similar problem with my original engine that had 150k on it. I paid $600 for the CRV motor and another 150 for gaskets, fluids, and other small items.

Onasty
02-01-2011, 10:30 AM
are u looking to make serious power? The a3 can only take u so far

Im stuck at 303hp lol but thats good enough for me

superchargedk20
02-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Im stuck at 303hp lol but thats good enough for me

Ya u made good number. But how much more at 303 do u think ur bottom end can handle. That cam job helped u out cuz u made good numbers while keeping the boost low. A3 bottom end is only good for about 300 anymore and ur playing playing with fire. K24a1 can take 350-400 with a good tuner. And its gona make tons more tq . Wat were ur tq numbers btw?
And to Op. Try local junk yards u might find a k24 for cheaper than 1300. I found mone for 960

sicivicguy
02-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Well... I am not to concerned about the numbers for the most part. And the CRV engine will give me more torque and better numbers if I decide to cam later. PLUS!... I need my new clutch installed and they can just throw that in there while their at it... Lol

I don't really trust junk yards... And then you got to worry about transporting the engine. I think the vender has a great price shipped to anywhere.... AND IT WILL COME WITH THE PASSENGER MOUNT.

AS FOR THE CLEARENCE ISSUE.... I thought it didn't with all the stock boltons? I currently have DC Shorty headers, and Innovative Motor Mounts as well as Type S midpipe and stock axle back.

And I'm assuming that the Intake manifold bolts right up.

VIZHUNZ02SI
02-01-2011, 12:21 PM
get a k24a1 nuff said. then you can explore what route you want to take. ex. vtec killer w/k24a1, or swap a k20a2 or k24a2 (cams n rocker assembley) dont buy the whole head. boost. or go balls out with your dong out. k24a1 w/a2 cams vtec kill/10 to 12psi boost snail or s/c and for shits and giggles juice it with a 50 shot.

superchargedk20
02-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Well... I am not to concerned about the numbers for the most part. And the CRV engine will give me more torque and better numbers if I decide to cam later. PLUS!... I need my new clutch installed and they can just throw that in there while their at it... Lol

I don't really trust junk yards... And then you got to worry about transporting the engine. I think the vender has a great price shipped to anywhere.... AND IT WILL COME WITH THE PASSENGER MOUNT.

AS FOR THE CLEARENCE ISSUE.... I thought it didn't with all the stock boltons? I currently have DC Shorty headers, and Innovative Motor Mounts as well as Type S midpipe and stock axle back.

And I'm assuming that the Intake manifold bolts right up.

there's nothing wrong with junkyards. I got mine from a junkyard. They usually give u some sort of start up warranty

AUTiger
02-01-2011, 02:04 PM
got mine from a junkyard for 750 + 50 core charge. I don't think they ever picked up my core motor so I paid 800 total for it. It had 47k miles on it, they sent me the carfax report and gave me a 6month warranty for free. It pulls great and I plan on turboing it once I land a decent job.

superchargedk20
02-01-2011, 03:18 PM
got mine from a junkyard for 750 + 50 core charge. I don't think they ever picked up my core motor so I paid 800 total for it. It had 47k miles on it, they sent me the carfax report and gave me a 6month warranty for free. It pulls great and I plan on turboing it once I land a decent job.
Cheap power ftw

sicivicguy
02-01-2011, 03:24 PM
SO... If I go with a K24a1... Now the problem is doing the swap. A shop is probably gonna charge me like $500-$700 to do it if I'm correct. The most I've ever done to my EP's engine is swap the header, intake, removed the axels, changed oil and tranny fluid, changed all the suspension including sway bar and rear LCA's.
I'm about 90% sure I can do the swap on my own... But I just want to get some things clear...

1. How easy is it to swap this out?
2. Will my A3 Innovative MM work on this A1?
3. Once I hook everything up... Will it just start up?

Just trying to save some $$$ and if push come to shove I can pay if something goes wrong... But it's always nice to have a street mechanic you can help for a few $ :mwink:

AUTiger
02-01-2011, 03:34 PM
read the sticky on "how to swap a k24 into an ep3". It will have everything you need to know. If you are swapping it in without k-pro then you will need 310cc injectors and stay away from bolt-ons. All your accessories will swap over from your a3 to the a1 and you will need a crv passenger motor mount bracket(not the actual motor mount)

sicivicguy
02-01-2011, 03:47 PM
read the sticky on "how to swap a k24 into an ep3". It will have everything you need to know. If you are swapping it in without k-pro then you will need 310cc injectors and stay away from bolt-ons. All your accessories will swap over from your a3 to the a1 and you will need a crv passenger motor mount bracket(not the actual motor mount)

I have read the swapping instructions... and it looks simple enough, BUT... thats what makes me not 100% because of how easy it looks to swap out. OH!... And I will have K-Pro :smokin:

And as for the 310cc injectors... I can use the stock A3 injectors if I have it?.. Or should I invest in some newer and "better" ones?

AUTiger
02-01-2011, 03:56 PM
i would get 310's just because once you have k-pro you are going to want to mod it and with how well the k24 responds to bolt-ons you probably will need the extra flow. Most used 310's go for 50-60shipped. I got mine for 55shipped with the stock a2 fuel rail, but you don't need that anyways. Pretty sure I threw it away.

sicivicguy
02-01-2011, 09:56 PM
i would get 310's just because once you have k-pro you are going to want to mod it and with how well the k24 responds to bolt-ons you probably will need the extra flow. Most used 310's go for 50-60shipped. I got mine for 55shipped with the stock a2 fuel rail, but you don't need that anyways. Pretty sure I threw it away.

Nice to know... Thanks! I figured I would need better fuel flow... WHAT ABOUT THE OIL PRESSURE ISSUE? Is this only if you don't have K-Pro? Whats the best way to remedy that?