PDA

View Full Version : Front breaks are sticky??

sirux
02-01-2011, 11:53 AM
I lifted my car up today and I turned my tires for fun and noticed that on both front tires.. the breaks are like sticky and the rotor is just rubbing against the break pad.

Rotors are old and rusty and no idea how old my breaks are.
Should I just replace both or would there be something else causing that?

Anything else I can change quickly whilst down there?

No wonder I get poor mpg..
lol

sirux
02-01-2011, 12:17 PM
http://www.ephatch.com/videopages/DIYfrontbrakes.html
thinking of doing this.

Zzyzx
02-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Brakes are a one way system, they only clamp. As in they will, under normal use, slide on the surface of the rotor.

Were you expecting a gap between the pad & rotor?

Else, rotors rust. its what cast iron does. the only way to really know if they need replcing is to have them measured. For the pads; how much pad meterial is left? are the squeal tabs hitting the rotor yet?

k20power
02-01-2011, 02:40 PM
my brakes have less than 20k miles on them and the pads rub a little on the rotors too so I guess I normal

whatsvtec
02-01-2011, 03:31 PM
My pads rub too, I wound up turning my rear rotor's blue within the first week I had it. (Great way to find out the brakes are new) Twice, I had issues with the left rear brakes smoking. Anyways, I replaced the rear rotors pads and a caliper that was frozen. Babied the brakes for a handful of full tanks, and then proceeded to drive as usual. All 4 rotors are blue now (less than 3 months later) and are pretty well shot. The car still stops fine, but the rotors are not good. I plan on taking the dust shields off as well once the weather is good, and save for new brakes. I think the usdm ep3 could've used better calipers all around.... :mfrown:

Zzyzx
02-01-2011, 03:44 PM
My pads rub too, I wound up turning my rear rotor's blue within the first week I had it. (Great way to find out the brakes are new) Twice, I had issues with the left rear brakes smoking. Anyways, I replaced the rear rotors pads and a caliper that was frozen. Babied the brakes for a handful of full tanks, and then proceeded to drive as usual. All 4 rotors are blue now (less than 3 months later) and are pretty well shot. The car still stops fine, but the rotors are not good. I plan on taking the dust shields off as well once the weather is good, and save for new brakes. I think the usdm ep3 could've used better calipers all around.... :mfrown:

Got pix? I'd like to see what you mean by "blue rotors".

Drew1d
02-02-2011, 11:17 AM
I had one wheel able to spin the other was super hard. It was the second set of pads but the rotors had over 120k on them. I purchased Re-man calipers from Honda and replaced both fronts. For me it was easier than taking apart the caliper, cleaning it, greasing it up. I have limited time to work on the car, it's my DD and I need it running. I like doing the work myself, so it's why I took the short cut.

I did both front calipers (as well as pads and rotors) because I figured the other caliper wasn't too far behind it. After you replace the caliper, you drain the old ones of brake fluid and mail them back for the core refund.

But it's whatever makes sense to you.

jonathan13
02-02-2011, 03:35 PM
As stated it is normal to have some drag on the wheel from the pad rubbing against the rotor.. It should spin fairly easy though by hand while jacked up. If it does not I would venture to say that you may have a stuck caliper.

whatsvtec
02-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Got pix? I'd like to see what you mean by "blue rotors".
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_liiEW-Ym6cQ/Sue9T7fNdNI/AAAAAAAAAEs/S9VBQSFmOw4/s400/100_6805.JPG
Like this, like they've been overheated or "burnt"