PDA

View Full Version : soo my ep has been grinding 3rd gear for 8 years now..

BlackEp3
02-01-2011, 03:17 PM
was it just a synchro problem? i saw the add on ephatch about the carbon synchros.. that will fix the problem?? please let me know.. i dont know anything about it and ive been driving it all my life with grinding gears.. my ep has 130,000 miles now.. bought it with 8 miles on it. i gave it to my younger sister on her birthday few years back. i would like to fix the grinding problem for her.

also the 3rd gear doesnt stay in 3rd wen i rev.. i have to hold the gear in place.. wuts wrong with the transmission? should i get a new tranny?

urthworm
02-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Tranny work is pretty costly.. you may want to look into getting a used one from a salvage yard. Also check out http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/CLU-TS-SGR.html.. they have a price list on all their different rebuild options.

ep3jd
02-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Salvage yards around me let those puppies go for like 300 beans. Just swap a new one in.

AKEP
02-03-2011, 04:43 AM
Salvage yards around me let those puppies go for like 300 beans. Just swap a new one in.

that or buy the 3rd gear sleeve for 200 something shipped, if you wanna do the work yourself.

im guessing it pops because the spring is toast. it grinds cause got knows why that syncro just dies after 9 miles.

the sleeve set comes with everything for and entire 3rd gear. gear, syncro(3rd and 4th), spring (3rd and 4th) and those 2 other pieces i dont know the names of, but makes the selection of gears possible.

23444-PPT-315 - GEAR SET, THIRD - $182.21 + S&H = $206.66 + [tax if you live in CA] from Hondapartscheap.com

or.

23444-PPT-315 - GEAR SET, THIRD - $192.26 + S&H =$209.67 + [tax if you live in FL] from acuraoemparts.com

order it from the other state if you live in either to save about $18.

BlackEp3
02-28-2011, 05:59 AM
anybody know a good local shops in socal? that does only 3rd gear work?

AKEP
02-28-2011, 06:12 AM
it doesnt matter what gear it is. when you take the tranny apart and start pressin the shaft(s) they all come off.

1-2 isnt attached to the shaft that 3-5 are pressed on to. so when you pop 3rd off they all go. opposite for the other shaft, 1-2 and the syncro sets are pressed on, so once you pop the 3rd gear sleeve, it all falls apart except 1st and 2nd.

its not that its hard to do, it just takes alot of time. if you had the time, i'd seriously suggest that you do it yourself. its pretty easy, and you get to learn a bit about the trans. all you need besides some hand tools is a 12 ton press from harbor freight that sells for $170 or something. beats the hell out of labor at a shop.

well you probably dont have the time. so yeah, sorry. good luck with it. mine also grided since i bought it and honda wouldn't fix it. i just fixed it last weekend. easy peezy.

ep3jd
02-28-2011, 07:14 AM
125k and no grinds! Praise the lord haha

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk