PDA

View Full Version : when getting springs, need shocks too?

EP3 Dream
02-04-2011, 09:50 AM
thinking about dropping it an inch, definatly not more than 1.5. i cant do coilovers as that is expensive O.o was doing some info-research about srpings and i read somewhere that the shocks will also need to be changed as lowering the car will have the shock in a constant compressed state. is this necesary for the ep3? to get new shocks when lowering the ep3? ive been thinking of doing struts since its basicly a shock and spring in one (since i cant find shocks/spring kits). thanks in advance

.colin
02-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Youre not going that low, how miles are on your stock shocks? You should be fine with your stock shocks if they are relatively new. For springs, get some tein s-techs. I had them, drop was really nice - that or spoon progressives.

Zzyzx
02-04-2011, 09:58 AM
The correct answer is yes, you should be getting dampers too.

Granted, whats the intended purpose of modifying your suspension?

i_love_my_ep3!
02-04-2011, 09:59 AM
i had skunk2 springs on my oem shocks for about year and the drop was 2.5 in the rear and 2in up front and my shocks had zero problems, they had 48k fairly new id say but if your just going for a 1.5 drop then you should be golden hope this helps.

EP3 Dream
02-04-2011, 10:20 AM
The correct answer is yes, you should be getting dampers too.

Granted, whats the intended purpose of modifying your suspension?

just to lower it for looks and that little oomph in the handling, not going track or anything.

Youre not going that low, how miles are on your stock shocks? You should be fine with your stock shocks if they are relatively new. For springs, get some tein s-techs. I had them, drop was really nice - that or spoon progressives.

about 75k miles on it, the suspension has never been changed so i woudn't think any parts are newer than others.

This helps a bit, guess struts wont be necesary since all i need is springs, thanks guys :D still open to more info tho :)

.colin
02-04-2011, 10:25 AM
the lower you go, the faster your stock shocks will wear out - keep that in mind when you find your springs. also, when you lower the car past 1" or 1 1/2" the car handles worse. keep that in mind too if you want to actually drive your car.

codyep3
02-04-2011, 11:10 AM
the lower you go, the faster your stock shocks will wear out - keep that in mind when you find your springs. also, when you lower the car past 1" or 1 1/2" the car handles worse. keep that in mind too if you want to actually drive your car.

only if you don't modify other suspension parts