PDA

View Full Version : A/C HELP !! (Evap and Expansion Valve Replacement.)

TypeR85
02-04-2011, 11:49 AM
So recently my A/C stopped working. I checked the freon. And it was Empty .... Refilled the A/C system with the freon and some of that oil to detect leaks. No leaks where found on the 1st day. By day 3 the car had lost all it freon, so I checked for leaks again ... (Nothing) . I started to slowly replace piece's from the A/C, (So far I've replaced everything besides the Evap and Expansion Valve because they are underneath the dash and I have no clue where to start taking that apart from.)

After installing all the new piece's that I got, compressor/condenser, high line, low line, and pretty much everything in the engine bay that was A/C related (including the gaskets on the lines. I refilled the car and was out of freon in 3 days.

[Before I get flamed for replacing everything except what was wrong (evap and expansion valve) I decided to redo the system because apparently my car came from the north and had all types of rust on the connections of the A/C lines. So I have the money to pretty much do it all my self and save myself a lot of back and forth and obviously $$$.]

What I'm basically asking is if anyone has a maybe step by step video or online guide for the dash removal, enough to be able to swap out my Evap and expansion valve's.

(I really hate to start tugging and pulling on interior plastics , when I don't know where to pull from, and having clips and stuff break.)

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. It's Hot today =D

si03
02-04-2011, 02:35 PM
so jealous , it's like 25* right now. A/C is out of the question for months

Twisted-X
02-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Looking at the FSM (21-40), it doesn't look like the whole dash has to come out. Just everything behind the glove box.

TypeR85
02-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Looking at the FSM (21-40), it doesn't look like the whole dash has to come out. Just everything behind the glove box.

I actually found a service manual for our si's .. and in fact it does not require the removal of the dash!! yay =D ... has anyone ever done this.. would you recommend taking out the passenger side seat, just for the extra room?

Any tips ?

talonXracer
02-04-2011, 07:02 PM
I have found that sliding the seat all the way back provides enough room to get under the dash, but if you do decide to remove the seat, make sure to disconnect the battery first.

TypeR85
02-05-2011, 06:43 AM
I have found that sliding the seat all the way back provides enough room to get under the dash, but if you do decide to remove the seat, make sure to disconnect the battery first.

I think im going to remove the seat's, might as well vacumm all those lost french fries that fall through the seat into hard to reach places LOL... Thanks for reminding me about disconnecting the battery.