PDA

View Full Version : Need me an engine hoist... Where to go?

sicivicguy
02-04-2011, 03:04 PM
SO... I'm a swap my A3 soon and would love to get that sucker out before the new engine arrives. I need me an engine hoist, but really do not want to spend a lot of $$$$$ because I'm not planning on swapping anymore after that.

Have thought about going with PepBoys, but I don't think I am going to trust the quality cuz of the price.... "you get what you paid for"... I think EBay has a few but it's EBAY!... LOL

So where can I find a decent hoist that wont dropt the engine and I wont have to spend over $200?

RHDmeatwagon
02-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Go to harbor freight.

You want to go the cheap route your gonna get cheap stuff.

Or just rent one from someone put an ad on Craigslist

RHCP0801
02-04-2011, 04:48 PM
i rented one from a local place that rents all kinds of tools, $25 for one day

sicivicguy
02-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Cool.... Yeah... Gonna call AutoZone and Pepboys tomorrow to see if they do rent them.... If not I'm a just go around and ask the local shops.

RHCP0801
02-04-2011, 09:48 PM
search a tool rental place around where you live

SIisaLowRydaEP3
02-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Go to harbor freight.
my dad got one from there worked fine for his big block chevy motor twice

sicivicguy
02-08-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm wondering if I should buy me a 2 Ton or 1 Ton hoist? Gonna go to Harbor Freight this weekend and want to be prepaired :-)

RHCP0801
02-08-2011, 05:38 PM
a 1 ton is plenty

sicivicguy
02-08-2011, 08:41 PM
a 1 ton is plenty

Cool!... THANX!

whatsvtec
02-08-2011, 08:56 PM
harbor freight FTW! I plan on getting some new ratchets soon. You absolutely can't beat their prices and value, unless you work on cars for a living.

that1blackhatch
02-08-2011, 11:09 PM
a 1 ton is plenty

definitally more than plenty, i bought a one ton from harbor for when i orignially swapped two years ago and i didnt even use it... the only thing it came in handy for was mating the tranny back to the block, it makes it alot easier to level and align. i just took the front and rear mounts off leaving it in by the sides, droped the subframe, then set the front pinch rail on two bottomed out scissor jacks, then the oil pan is only 2 inches off the ground, support the motor and trans from underneath(i used one of those folding leg white plastic tables, it was the perfect height to take the pressure off the bolts as i brought the car down) unbolt, jack car all the way back up, slide motor out... all done in my garage with hand tools only, just pulled the motor out and in for the second time this past week using that same method (shot out exedy aftermarket throw out bearing grenaded)

sicivicguy
02-09-2011, 11:10 AM
I was actually thinking of doing it this way as well... But I remember when my friend changed my A3 out last... YES THIS WAS MY 2ND A3 (THANKS AEM CAI!). Its was a pain in the ass to get the subframe bolts lined up... We were having such a problem and the subframe was SUPER HEAVY!

RHCP0801
02-09-2011, 11:39 AM
pull it out the top, thats what i did, super easy

sicivicguy
02-09-2011, 01:33 PM
pull it out the top, thats what i did, super easy

I'm doing it from the top... I just don't wanna have to mess with lowering the sub frame.

that1blackhatch
02-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm doing it from the top... I just don't wanna have to mess with lowering the sub frame.

never cherried it out the top... where do u hook to? if its easier i might have to start using this method, sub frame isnt too bad but it would definitally cut down on some time to come out the top... what about going back in? i would think u would still have some alaigning issues

RHCP0801
02-09-2011, 07:59 PM
i only had to lower the sub frame like a 1/4 of an inch so i can get to the bottom 2 ac compressor bolts. I attached one side of the chain with a bolt where the exhaust mani bolts up and another where the intake mani is. Going back in had no alignment issues, went in perfect just had to hold some things back and move little things around until it slipped right in, i dropped it in with the trans attached also. Make sure you have like 1 or 2 other people checking to see if nothing gets caught while pulling it out and putting it back in

sicivicguy
02-10-2011, 02:06 PM
i only had to lower the sub frame like a 1/4 of an inch so i can get to the bottom 2 ac compressor bolts. I attached one side of the chain with a bolt where the exhaust mani bolts up and another where the intake mani is. Going back in had no alignment issues, went in perfect just had to hold some things back and move little things around until it slipped right in, i dropped it in with the trans attached also. Make sure you have like 1 or 2 other people checking to see if nothing gets caught while pulling it out and putting it back in

OH I KNOW... LOL... Gonna make sure everything is out of the way... I might even go as far as to remove the AC condenser because it's not charged anyways and has no fluid what so ever... Might have the whole front open without the bumper to make things a lot easier as well... GONNA BE FUN! :-)