PDA

View Full Version : Can't make decision

Hajdoki_Ep3
02-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Buying suspension

KW Coilover Kit V2 (2k$)

KW Coilover Kit V1 (1.5k$)

Bilsteins Sport Shocks (800$) + Swift springs (300$)

Costs are rough

Daily Driving summer+winter, fun on track on weekends, will upgrade to k24a2 in future

whatsvtec
02-06-2011, 07:01 AM
I'm curious, what has made you dead set on KW brand stuff? I'd go with the Variant 2 out of those choices.

Hajdoki_Ep3
02-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Well i believe in quality products for what is needed to pay for them...Since KW is german, as well as Bilsteins, and our cars handle more like european cars if anything, why now pay for something that is worth investing in rather than just dishing out 1k for any coilover system that doesnt do what I want.

And what I want is a DD suspension setup which I can comfortably drive hours in to certain destinations (8-9+ hours) and still be able to take it to the track and have fun in the process :)

I read a interesting read that said the rsx and ep3 benifits from "damper's low speed compression and rebound to be high enough to help minimize roll, but spring rates low enough to allow some roll to happen while having minimized deflection in the chassis and bushings"

And from my understanding B+S combo will do just that + more? Im not to sure about the KW since I've heard the best DD path is spring/shock combo and to stay away from coil over if winter drivin, while I even track my car during winter on ice tracks :)

whatsvtec
02-06-2011, 09:56 AM
If it's for DD purposes, go with the spring/strut combo then. Bilstiens are definitely quality, do they have adjustable dampening?

Hajdoki_Ep3
02-06-2011, 10:02 AM
If it's for DD purposes, go with the spring/strut combo then. Bilstiens are definitely quality, do they have adjustable dampening?

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Honda&autoModel=Civic+Si+Hatchback&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=&brand=Bilstein

Not quite sure, I know bilstein has good rep on revalving to meet specific needs, maybe someone with more experience in the field of suspension could fill in that blank...

Jukka
02-06-2011, 10:11 AM
KW V2s. If you have ever seen KW's faciliies, they do some of the most advanced testing on suspension. Plus its almost impossible to blow their shocks. Well worth the $. If i had the $ for them, I would buy em.

k20power
02-06-2011, 10:30 AM
I got Ksports coilover and for daily driving I set them to soft and for weekend racing I set them to stiff..I love how the car handles with them plus I love how much u can adjust the height

whatsvtec
02-06-2011, 11:09 AM
I'd get KONI inserts over Bilstein shocks just for the fact they are adjustable, the lifetime warranty is always nice too.

maybe someone with more experience in the field of suspension could fill in that blank...

:thumbu:

Hajdoki_Ep3
02-06-2011, 06:24 PM
KW V2s. If you have ever seen KW's faciliies, they do some of the most advanced testing on suspension. Plus its almost impossible to blow their shocks. Well worth the $. If i had the $ for them, I would buy em.

Just stopped by ur shop early today, one of the guys told me he has V1 and loves them

I also heard KW V2 are top of the line, but im wondering where is V3? and is V2 "better" for track than bilsteins with swift springs?

Will either setup achieve, damper's low speed compression and rebound to be high enough to help minimize roll, but spring rates low enough to allow some roll to happen while having minimized deflection in the chassis and bushings?

RedSiBaron
02-06-2011, 06:36 PM
I'd get KONI inserts over Bilstein shocks just for the fact they are adjustable, the lifetime warranty is always nice too.

:thumbu:

Bilstein dampening is superior to koni...I installed my konis and adjusted it a couple times and havnt touched them since 08

Hajdoki_Ep3
02-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Bilstein dampening is superior to koni...I installed my konis and adjusted it a couple times and havnt touched them since 08

But is Bilstein superior to KW?

Koni is twin tube, im looking for Mono and durability DD...

RedSiBaron
02-07-2011, 10:21 AM
But is Bilstein superior to KW?

Koni is twin tube, im looking for Mono and durability DD...

I've daily driven on my konis for 4 years now, they work great, and id imagine bilstein dampening to be superior to that of KW, and same with koni...koni bilstein and ohlins are probably the best dampening companies in the world and have developing suspension for the highest levels of motorsport and production vehicles for longer than anyone...including decades before kw ever existed...kw makes great stuff don't get me wrong but koni and bilstein dampening is far superior...bilsteins will give you great dd dampening...why are you choosing swift springs? I don't anyone running them and have no experience, im a big fan of progress springs...when my konis go eventually, im considering switching to bilstein with the progress springs