PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Refinish. Silver?

PatrickJamesYu
02-07-2011, 01:26 PM
So I have a Carbon Fiber wing and will be picking up a Carbon Fiber hood.
I want to give them a silver tint.
So they look like the silver cf vinyl wraps.
But I don't want to wrap it, I want to refinish it.

Any body know how to do this?

Here's a sample
It looks like kevlar to me, but it looks like it has a tint of silver..
And/or its the color enhancement by the camera or photoshop

http://www.razine.com/assets/images/content/photoshoot/edir/2004-civic-ep3/sk016.jpg

shanewdude
02-07-2011, 02:13 PM
I think that effect is from the photography... looks like an HDR photo, so you are probably seeing the reflection of the sky in the hood making it look silver.

RHDmeatwagon
02-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Idk I saw those pics too in all of them it looks like a silver weave kinda deal. I was curious as well

RedSiBaron
02-07-2011, 03:48 PM
no, to get silver carbon, they have to dye the carbon cloth or paint it before the clearcoat process, you wont be able to spray it and expect it to look like it...

that hood may be fiberglass also

fobman
02-07-2011, 04:23 PM
that guy has silver cf wing hood and trunk.. u should ask him what he do

Stanz0r
02-07-2011, 06:16 PM
You might try sanding off the gelcoat/clearcoat and then spraying it with a tinted clearcoat.

PatrickJamesYu
02-07-2011, 06:26 PM
no, to get silver carbon, they have to dye the carbon cloth or paint it before the clearcoat process, you wont be able to spray it and expect it to look like it...

I'm an amatuer at painting but I do have entry level equipment to do it.

You think I can add somekind of tint, and clear coat over it, and get similar results?

Maybe I'll just wrap it in silver carbon fiber wrap.. haha

Thanks guys.
More input from anyone would be great

PatrickJamesYu
02-07-2011, 06:28 PM
You might try sanding off the gelcoat/clearcoat and then spraying it with a tinted clearcoat.

I was thinking about mixing Satin Silver Metallic, with a very heavy amount of thinner to do exactly what it's supposed to, to thin it out.
And see if I can get a tint effect

Might work.
I have a few sample squares of carbon fiber wrap, that I'm gonna clear coat, sand, and test this on

Kis4KEN
02-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Why wouldn't you just mix paint how it's supposed to be mixed, spray it way dry, then clear it. Since paint now a days, at least in CA is water based, I don't think you'd have a problem with that method. Then again, if you aren't doing it yourself and taking it to a body shop. I'd recommend M1 Autobody. OH hey, I work at M1 Autobody lol... I'll ask my boss tomorrow for a quote.

PatrickJamesYu
02-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Why wouldn't you just mix paint how it's supposed to be mixed, spray it way dry, then clear it. Since paint now a days, at least in CA is water based, I don't think you'd have a problem with that method. Then again, if you aren't doing it yourself and taking it to a body shop. I'd recommend M1 Autobody. OH hey, I work at M1 Autobody lol... I'll ask my boss tomorrow for a quote.

It's 'cause I'm a DIY amateur and I don't know how to mix paints properly
let alone apply it haha

Get me a quote!
I'm going to try my method
But if it sucks, I'm down to strip it back
and send it over your way

sleepy ep3
02-08-2011, 09:17 PM

Like a candle in a dark room

Kis4KEN
03-05-2011, 03:33 PM
It's 'cause I'm a DIY amateur and I don't know how to mix paints properly
let alone apply it haha

Get me a quote!
I'm going to try my method
But if it sucks, I'm down to strip it back
and send it over your way

I just saw this, I'll get you a quote the next time I work in the shop.

caser59
11-21-2011, 05:31 PM
i really wish i was cool enough to read rules!!!

usedep3
11-21-2011, 05:59 PM
^^^
:shakehead:

PatrickJamesYu
11-22-2011, 01:24 PM
:shakehead:
haha

AKEP
11-23-2011, 07:39 AM
lol @ $800 for something you got for free and i could get for 550 shipped.

glws! :thumbu:

back on topic, if you "dust" on waterbourne paint it will look like dust and the clear will be hard to work with. if you get solvent based paint you can spray a light coat over the hood to make it look like silver tint. i forget the name of the stuff you pour 50/50 with the tint (i think its called the blend base, been a while), but you can spray a coat of that only first, then a regular blend of ssm waterbourne to acheive a tint-like appearance. then clear that bitch.

PatrickJamesYu
11-23-2011, 02:18 PM
lol @ $800 for something you got for free and i could get for 550 shipped.

glws! :thumbu:

back on topic, if you "dust" on waterbourne paint it will look like dust and the clear will be hard to work with. if you get solvent based paint you can spray a light coat over the hood to make it look like silver tint. i forget the name of the stuff you pour 50/50 with the tint (i think its called the blend base, been a while), but you can spray a coat of that only first, then a regular blend of ssm waterbourne to acheive a tint-like appearance. then clear that bitch.

Interesting.
My carbonfiber Mugen wing is already sanded, so i might have to try this.
I was gonna go ahead and paint it silver, but I'd like to give this a try before hand.

Okay so you're saying I tint it with a universal silver solvent-based coat
Than a basic blend light coat of Satin Silver Metallic?

Blah1219
11-23-2011, 03:26 PM
This is going to loook sick! I love the look of the silver mixed with the carbon fiber. It just wouldn't look good on a vbp. Im in for the results!

RedSiBaron
11-23-2011, 04:17 PM
hey new guy, try it again and im banning you, PM'ed...

also greenies, tag this stuff when you find it please, it helps us a lot

corey69
01-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Hey man, I work at a custom paint shop, and I've tinted all sorts of things, I've tinted foglights to be yellow, clear corners to be a richer amber than stock, so on and so forth.

Your answer is simple, candy. Candy paint is a translucent paint that will allow whatever is underneath it to shine through no matter how many coats you put. Applying more coats only causes a richer color.

You can get it in spray cans at hobby shops, or order it from a auto paint shop or something like O'Reilly's auto parts.

K-Series
02-17-2012, 05:50 AM
You're not going to be happy with painted solution. Either get the silver CF brand new or just wrap it. I just got a sample pack from 3m for 1080 vinyl wrap and there's a great looking silver CF weave in there (yes, it's actually textured) AND it can be clear coated after the fact.

Steve

Michael SK
08-19-2012, 12:25 PM
That's my ep on the picture. I prepaid to VIS Racing to make the Silver Carbon Fiber For Me. I don't know how to do a refinish of it but those parts were original Silver Carbon . Already sold to a friend here.

Bcannon94
08-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Hey guys I'm new to this so bare with me. I have had my EP3 for less than a year and i have already done a lot to it or so i think. When i bought the car it had a 2 piece carbon fiber spoiler already on it. I liked it a lot but then the clear started peeling and then it just got out of hand. plus i never really like that full carbon fiber look so what i did was take the spoiler off, take it apart and then i took the base of the spoiler and used a DA on it with 600 and sanded the whole thing and then painted it the same color as my car and clear it all in 3 days ( Im in auto body so i only get three periods to do it a day). then i left the second piece carbon fiber so it really looks sharp. thats what i think people with the carbon spoiler should do. i havent re-cleared the second part yet but i have to save up a little more.61786177

02ep3413
12-01-2012, 10:00 AM
make sure you watch the clear coats on both paints and cf