PDA

View Full Version : K20z3 Go right in?

04SiSpeed
02-07-2011, 06:21 PM
I blew my motor middle of last summer and im ready to get a motor in. Pretty much decided on the z3, and i was wondering if it would drop right in..? I was gonna get a new header so which one do i get? As in a ep header or a Si header?

whatsvtec
02-07-2011, 06:33 PM
ep3 headers will bolt up fine. But you may run into some other issues depending on how much from the z3 you'll be swapping.

talonXracer
02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
You will need Kpro, Karcepts TB adapter and if you decide on using the z3's 6spd then you will need to modify the shifter mech on the trans and source a digital VSS converter.

whatsvtec
02-07-2011, 07:06 PM
What if he swaps everything? long block, tranny, and ecu

AKEP
02-07-2011, 09:32 PM
still need the digi converter.

whatsvtec
02-07-2011, 09:37 PM
I don't mean to thread jack, but it all pertains to the k20z3. Can you use the z3 throttle body? Or do you need a cable driven TB ?

AKEP
02-07-2011, 10:22 PM
wouldn't the cable just go to an actuator anyways? or is there a cable? good question..

whatsvtec
02-07-2011, 10:37 PM
The reason I ask is because the z3 is drive by wire and ours is not.

AKEP
02-07-2011, 10:45 PM
it was understood. idk how the DBW works on it. my other car had a cable that ran to a box, and then the box had a cable run to the TB to modulate it. I'm guessing its the same though...:mangel:

if that's the case you might lose cruise control...

ignore me, I'm thinking out loud.

whatsvtec
02-07-2011, 10:47 PM
it was understood. idk how the DBW works on it. my other car had a cable that ran to a box, and then the box had a cable run to the TB to modulate it. im guessing its the same though...:mangel:

It sounds like that's what would happen. Never funked with no DBW stuff so I really don't know. I think I'd rather keep the ep3 TB anyways, electronics always seem to complicate things.

vicx52o
02-07-2011, 10:47 PM
That's what a Karcept's adapter is for.

http://www.karcepts.com/shop/product.php?id_product=4

whatsvtec
02-07-2011, 10:50 PM
That's what a Karcept's adapter is for.

http://www.karcepts.com/shop/product.php?id_product=4

To keep the ep3 TB for use w/the rbc manifold right?

AKEP
02-08-2011, 12:45 AM
yeah that. im guessing the z3 tb is a no go all together then. i still wanna know about that z3 tb...

cloumep3
02-08-2011, 08:36 AM
1. DBW won't work, you need a3 TB or a2 + adapter.
2. Cannot use z3 ECU, you need Kpro your a3 or a2.
3. Need speed converter, I have hybrid racing speed converter.
4. If you have CAI, you need to modify slightly due to the angle difference.
5. Some year shift mechanism already has the 6th gear slot precut, but most do not. Therefore, need to cut them or use type-s's.
6. If you get RH with testpipe, delete CAT, modying will be mimimal, but keeping CAT with stock exhaust, you'll have tougher time.
7. Need to shave about 0.25" to 0.5" off of radiator support to fit the IM, not that bad, just need a tat bit shaved or bent if you're freakishly strong; hercules hercules!!! (don't mind my early morning humor...)
8. May want to consider Reverse Lock Out Switch, if you're using ep3 ECU, but you don't need it. Just need to be real careful, because the gear slot into reverse is cut in an angle, not straight vertical, so you may slip in there from 5th (NO NO!!!). I 've seen someone do this and parts shot out of tranny... scary...

That's all I can remember from my swap... GL!!!

AKEP
02-08-2011, 08:44 AM
thanks.

04SiSpeed
02-13-2011, 08:49 PM
What if i just got a k24a2 instead? Is it more difficult to get it working right? Cuz they are about a grand cheaper. I am keeping my 5 speed, i was going to run the kpro with my a3 ecu and grab a skunk2 manifold and 70mm tb for starters.

What header do i get with the tsx swap? Do i need new axles and all that or does the a3 shafts and axels work? Can i use my a3 injen cold air intake? I know i need the CRV mount and a tb adapter from some company, is there anything else i should pick up while i am getting all the parts in for the swap?

Thanks guys for all the responses. I really thought that z3 swap would have been more strait forward. Do i have to worry about the lock out on the tsx swap like you would on the z3 swap? And do i need a speed converter also?

AKEP
02-14-2011, 01:24 AM
k24a2 swap comments thread bruh.

04SiSpeed
02-14-2011, 06:19 AM
Lol yea i looked it over, i know what i need now for that k24a2 swap, and not having no power steering could be a issue since i wanna autocross the car one day eventually.

Is there a swap that wount eliminate my power steering?

talonXracer
02-14-2011, 06:41 AM
The K24A2 will work fine with your stock trans, no need for a VSS convertor.

There is no Kseries swap that can delete the EP3's power steering as it is EPS and mounted on the rack itself.

04SiSpeed
02-14-2011, 06:42 AM
I do have one question that i cant seem to find the specidic answer for from massive google and forums searching. For a k24a2, Do you use the rsx type s flywheel and clutch or just the base model clutch and fly (since its the same trans as our hatch) Thanks everyone.

ImportCustomx
02-14-2011, 06:43 AM
moved to engine swaps

04SiSpeed
02-14-2011, 06:59 AM
O sorry for posting in the wrong thread i had no idea, thanks

poeticfinesse21
02-14-2011, 04:14 PM
if i get a k20z3 swap with the ecu, key and key cylinder can i start the car with the z3 ecu?

that1blackhatch
02-14-2011, 11:21 PM
I do have one question that i cant seem to find the specidic answer for from massive google and forums searching. For a k24a2, Do you use the rsx type s flywheel and clutch or just the base model clutch and fly (since its the same trans as our hatch) Thanks everyone.
either will work, but u have more choices with rsx-s, i also have a k24a2 with ep 5 speed, i used an exedy stage 2(type s) with a ACT street light flywheel(type-s)(remember both clutch and fly have to be the same) you also might want to consider the karcepts a/c and p/s delete, if u dont mind not having ac it definetly made the motor alot more responsive. you will definitly be happy with going k24, its night and day difference from the a3, plus i wax z3's all the time

if i get a k20z3 swap with the ecu, key and key cylinder can i start the car with the z3 ecu?

Kpro is a must, im almost positive, z3 ecu is made to handle drive by wire, not cable

04SiSpeed
02-15-2011, 09:56 AM
either will work, but u have more choices with rsx-s, i also have a k24a2 with ep 5 speed, i used an exedy stage 2(type s) with a ACT street light flywheel(type-s)(remember both clutch and fly have to be the same) you also might want to consider the karcepts a/c and p/s delete, if u dont mind not having ac it definetly made the motor alot more responsive. you will definitly be happy with going k24, its night and day difference from the a3, plus i wax z3's all the time

Kpro is a must, im almost positive, z3 ecu is made to handle drive by wire, not cable

Its funny you mention that clutch fly set up it was the exact one i was looking at, looks like its gonna run about 750 all in all for that. Yea i super excited now at this point. Its been blown since end of summer and i been driving my integra but its a fully built motor for boost and yea not real good on gas n all that so getting annoying i want my EP back lol.

Does your power steering work ? I dont know if it will or wont, iv had ppl tell me it wont cuz ours is electronic and have had ppl told me it makes no differance. So i figured u would know best you have the exact swap im doin lol. What header are you running? Did you do a dyno what kinda numbers you put down if u dont mind me asking?

I dont care about ac and ps, the integra doesnt have either so i am quite used to it. Imma hold off tho on it cuz ill need that kit when the Kraftwerks SC goes on middle of next winter.

Thanks for all the responses guys, you have cleared up a lot of questions running threw my head. I have read and read and read, same thread 2 n 3 times sometimes but i had a few final details i wanted cleared up.

that1blackhatch
02-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Its funny you mention that clutch fly set up it was the exact one i was looking at, looks like its gonna run about 750 all in all for that. Yea i super excited now at this point. Its been blown since end of summer and i been driving my integra but its a fully built motor for boost and yea not real good on gas n all that so getting annoying i want my EP back lol.

Does your power steering work ? I dont know if it will or wont, iv had ppl tell me it wont cuz ours is electronic and have had ppl told me it makes no differance. So i figured u would know best you have the exact swap im doin lol. What header are you running? Did you do a dyno what kinda numbers you put down if u dont mind me asking?

I dont care about ac and ps, the integra doesnt have either so i am quite used to it. Imma hold off tho on it cuz ill need that kit when the Kraftwerks SC goes on middle of next winter.

Thanks for all the responses guys, you have cleared up a lot of questions running threw my head. I have read and read and read, same thread 2 n 3 times sometimes but i had a few final details i wanted cleared up.

Yes my ps works as talonxracer already stated this in the thread(not in a dick tone), if u look at the steering rack u will see an electric motor on top hints electronic power steering, so why keep a pump on the motor if all its gonna do is hold it back? That's my theory... same as u I have my 88 civic RT4WD which has ac... so no need for it in my 04 haha but I'm opposite my 04 is my fun car 88s the DD. I have not dyno'd yet because I havent touched anything internally yet( in the process) I just put a different intake manifold and blah blah blah to help with extra power for when the cams go in, but if I had to guess with my I/RH/ 2.5"ex I would guess probably somewhere around 210-220 hp. But that's a guess... to put it into perspective on an 1/8th mile track I was a hundreth of a second slower than a 02 camaro SS with bolt ons(that's about a bumper) my time was a 9.3 and that's with no name cheeeeeeep-o tires. As for headers I used obx type s raceheaders, to a custom 2.5"(modified ep megan racing exhaust) the rest of the way to my stock axelback (the whole exhaust deal-e-o is a bitch, but I do all my own work in the garage at home so no lift and trying to weld laying down while mocking it all up is what I mean by it being a bitch lol plus any header unless its specific for k24 in ep3 chassis WILL rub and "thump" on ur sway bar at idle... due to the fact that the 2.4 is 20 something mm taller so the exhaust comes out of the head higher so it sucks the exhaust real close the bottom...

poeticfinesse21
02-15-2011, 09:31 PM
what do you mean drive by wire?

i would get k-pro eventually but k20z3 swaps are so easy to find for a good price, i was hoping i could get the motor runnin without spending an extra $1000

cloumep3
02-15-2011, 10:25 PM

i would get k-pro eventually but k20z3 swaps are so easy to find for a good price, i was hoping i could get the motor runnin without spending an extra $1000

k20z3 motor has drive-by-wire Throttle Body vs. drive-by-cable which is what a3 motors have.
Unless you're doing clutch/flywheel/motor mounts upgrade, you can stay below $1k on other parts.

that1blackhatch
02-15-2011, 11:10 PM

to make it simple a z3 ecu and TB will not work in a ep3 chassis... go put 500 down on red or a hand of black jack and pray :mangel:

lbk02si
02-16-2011, 07:10 AM
still need the digi converter.

not if he uses the z3 ecu and tranny

lbk02si
02-16-2011, 07:12 AM
The K24A2 will work fine with your stock trans, no need for a VSS convertor.

There is no Kseries swap that can delete the EP3's power steering as it is EPS and mounted on the rack itself.

i don't know why any would want to remove the eps anyways, its a pretty good little system for power steering if you ask me. well that is when it doesn't go out like mine did!

cloumep3
02-16-2011, 08:46 AM
not if he uses the z3 ecu and tranny

Tranny, Yes. But, you can't use z3 ecu with z3 swap.

dstnbmxvr6
02-18-2011, 04:20 PM
listen to cloumep3, he knows what he's talking about lol. but... here im doing the swap right now and doing a diy heres the link...http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?61960-k20z3-swap-diy!!

lbk02si
02-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Tranny, Yes. But, you can't use z3 ecu with z3 swap.

y not?

cloumep3
02-19-2011, 06:09 PM
y not?

It doesn't work with z3 and z1 motor swap. You have to kpro a3 or a2 ecu. If it worked, I would have used z3 ecu and not kpro my swap. Maybe if you have the key matching the z3 motor, it might work... It's something to do with the throttle or something.

lbk02si
02-20-2011, 08:48 AM
It doesn't work with z3 and z1 motor swap. You have to kpro a3 or a2 ecu. If it worked, I would have used z3 ecu and not kpro my swap. Maybe if you have the key matching the z3 motor, it might work... It's something to do with the throttle or something.

Who said anything about a z1?? He's wanting to swap in a z3

cloumep3
02-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Who said anything about a z1?? He's wanting to swap in a z3

are you serious? z1 is just an example as to point out that z1 and z3 are similar which cannot be used for such swap as z3 swap OP's refering to...

dstnbmxvr6
02-20-2011, 07:19 PM
you have electronic power steering bud, you just remove the ps pump from the k24 since you dont need or have any lines etc..