PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Newbie here...

Shpoo
07-17-2002, 10:03 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I just have a few questions. I have a 95 Si but I would like to get the new Si. Can you guys give me the pros and cons. Also, if you don't mind sharing how much it cost you. There's sevral dealers in my area that are selling them well below sticker. Any info would be helpful...

Shpoo
07-18-2002, 07:37 PM
bump...:(

DownTheHatch
07-18-2002, 07:47 PM
Hello Shpoo, looks like your topic might have gotten squashed.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're getting a new Si! You will absolutely love the car, it's fun to drive, gets good gas mileage and has an awsome new look that you won't get tired of easily. The price of my 2002 Si was $19,440 and seems the be the standard price in my area, this was MSRP.

In some areas I've heard of 18k if you can get one of these deals I would jump on it.

MookieBlaylock5
07-19-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by DownTheHatch
Hello Shpoo, looks like your topic might have gotten squashed.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're getting a new Si! You will absolutely love the car, it's fun to drive, gets good gas mileage and has an awsome new look that you won't get tired of easily. The price of my 2002 Si was $19,440 and seems the be the standard price in my area, this was MSRP.

In some areas I've heard of 18k if you can get one of these deals I would jump on it.

I just bought mine last night. Dealer quoted me 16995 + TT&L. Walked out of there with the car for $18,272 total. Badass car. Had it for less than 24 hours and I'm in love.

I'm basically in agreement with the rest of the site on its looks. At first, I thought the exterior design was rather interesting. As I looked at a few SUV's (I'm in college and make a lot of road trips...i need space. I'm not a big racer) and a few other hatch's. The Si Grew on me so I took it for a test drive and damn. I bought it the next day. Love the car. Gotten quite a few compliments.

smapzy
07-19-2002, 12:26 PM
Dude, you got yours under 17K? That

HondaMan
07-19-2002, 12:49 PM
Ugh! You guys got yours for under 18k! :eek: :(

At least I didn't have to pay sales tax...

MookieBlaylock5
07-19-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
Ugh! You guys got yours for under 18k! :eek: :(

At least I didn't have to pay sales tax...

Yea. They gave me a special internet price. I guess the factory is giving major incentives and discounts to dealers to do the negotiations online. It was probably the best car buying experience I've had.

Here's how it went.

1. I did some research online as to what I wanted.
2. Went to a few dealer's webpages and requested a quote online.
3. Got email quotes back in an hour or 2. Took the lowest quote and asked if the others could beat it. After a few rounds of this I got it down to the 16995.
4. Walked in. Met the salesman. Drove the car. Filled out the credit apps. Wrote a check. Signed the papers. Drove home.

Damn I love the car.

Seriously, anyone considering purchasing any car, request your quotes on the internet. Dealers like to say "X amount of our sales are thru ebusiness" kinda thing. You can get some great specials.

HondaMan
07-19-2002, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I got mine through online sales myself. I got quotes from local dealers much higher than sticker and ended up going with www.carsdirect.com ... I still only got it for sticker but at the time they were a hot item (over 2 months ago)....it appears they aren't so hot anymore and much better deals can be made.

O well, the price I pay for being impatient...hehe! :)

MookieBlaylock5
07-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
Yeah, I got mine through online sales myself. I got quotes from local dealers much higher than sticker and ended going with www.carsdirect.com ... I still only got it for sticker but at the time they were a hot item (over 2 months ago)....it appears they aren't so hot anymore and much better deals can be made.

O well, the price I pay for being impatient...hehe! :)

I would've been in your shoes if I had the money to make a downpayment 2 months ago.

HondaMan
07-19-2002, 01:35 PM
:)

My only saving grace is no sales tax in Oregon...many of you probably got below sticker but after taxes went over $19k +...putting you in the same ballpark as my final price. ;)

PJsSCW
07-19-2002, 01:38 PM
I work for a Honda Dealership here in South Florida and we are selling the Si for around invoice which is like 17,700 or something like that.

xlr8
07-19-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Shpoo
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I just have a few questions. I have a 95 Si but I would like to get the new Si. Can you guys give me the pros and cons. Also, if you don't mind sharing how much it cost you. There's sevral dealers in my area that are selling them well below sticker. Any info would be helpful...
i think part of your question wasnt answered yet. i think that the si is an excelent car and a good performer, the looks realy grow on you, and the interior is badass. the cons are rumers of the type r coming over, that would make an si a bit less atractive, and the small first year imperfections. all around i am happy with the car, and i paid 19,600 a little over 3 monthes ago

MagusDC5
07-20-2002, 05:11 AM
Pros:

K Series engine
Low end torque
Good interior
Looks good in CTR Form

Cons:

Lower redline than previous Si
Heavy for a hatchback
Value/Depreciation hasnt been shown yet
Looks less than great stock

Dealers around here are selling them for under invoice here in Central PA, only 2 of the original shipment have even been sold at the two local dealers.

Mechanic
07-20-2002, 07:07 AM
First, welcome to the board. Those who are here, like me, seem to be a pretty enthusiastic crowd and almost all of us just got our cars.

I've owned each of the prior Si's, so if I may, I'll take a shot at answering your question.

As you probably noticed from your test drive, this Si seems like "more car." I think the build quality and materials used in the new Si is excellent. Everything you touch feels like a quality piece. Having spent my college years working on British (& German) cars, I was "concerned" that this one might not be up to Honda's usual standands, but I was very wrong -- this is easily the best Honda I've driven in years. (Let's hear it for the Brits!)

There is no free lunch, however. The same things that add a feeling of substance to this car, also add weight. This Si is every pound of it's 2700lbs+ delivery weight, roughly 400 pounds more than the last series and nearly 600 pound more than my all time favorite Honda, a 91 Civic Si w/o AC.

Like other posters here, I got mine at a solid discount from list and drove it away, tax paid (with a set of those silly floor mats) for just at $18,400. (That, by the way, is exactly twice what I paid for my '91 Si, but it didn't have A/C).

Do I like this car more than the 2000 Si I owned last? Yes. (I can explain that if you're interested, but suffice it to say I like the '02 Si better.)

My only regret these days is that we can't buy the Type R. Still, if the '02 Si came with 17" alloys, that would be enough to hold me for a while. The 15" alloys look out of place. Other than that, I have zero complaints. Bottom line: you can't go wrong with a Honda, and I'm sure this will become everything the last Si was.

Shpoo
07-21-2002, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the input everyone... I went to the dealership yesterday and the best deal they offered was $19,300 out the door. The only problem I had with the price was the non-optional $195 & $395 fabric and paint coverage that they added to the price. Plus I was going to trade in my del Sol as the down but we couldn't agree on the trade in value... So, I'll just have to sell my Sol and come back with cash if I'm going to make this work. I really like my 95 Si hatch and hopefully I'll be able to keep it also.:D