PDA

View Full Version : "Accord" coming as Acura w/o K20 motor

Mechanic
12-20-2002, 07:13 AM
If you're an AutoWeek subscriber, you may have seen the short note regarding Honda's plan to import the European Accord as an Acura. The fact that that model was coming isn't news, really; we've discussed it here before. What makes the AutoWeek note worth mentioning here is the fact that AutoWeek indicated it was going to have our (U.S.) Accord four-cylinder motor - 2.4 liter, 160hp. If so, this is disappointing news. Prior posts and Britian's Car magazine indicated that the Acura was coming here and that it would have a 200hp K20 motor (perhaps stretched to 2.4 liters). Were the car coming here as a 2.0 liter, IMHO that upped the odds of our getting a 200hp K20 in the Si. If Honda's only reaching into our U.S. parts bin for the new Acura motor, the odds of our getting a CTR become more remote.

The Captain
12-20-2002, 03:46 PM
Maybe there will be two models. From what I have read on theTSX forum the base TSX will be about $22k-$24k and the Type S will be about $26k-$28k. These are only estimates based on the market and pricing overseas.

Kirk

Mechanic
12-20-2002, 05:01 PM
I hope yr right, Kirk. I like the appearance of the car -- to my eye it's much better looking than our Accord -- but I think the Acura guys are going to have their work cut out for them if they try to market a four-cylinder anything for $26-28k.

Tragedy
12-20-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Mechanic
I hope yr right, Kirk. I like the appearance of the car -- to my eye it's much better looking than our Accord -- but I think the Acura guys are going to have their work cut out for them if they try to market a four-cylinder anything for $26-28k.

The Mitsubishi Lancer EVO in the states will be a 30,000 dollar 4-banger. Weeee...

The Acura TSX (EDM Accord) is sexy. Since the RSX has no sedan available, this is supposed to fill that void. So I think the price will be close to the RSX Type-S price.

The Accord Euro-R: Japan's 2003 Car Of The Year

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/accordeuro-r/image/top-image.jpg