PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of selling my car instead of trade in

jayrck81
02-08-2011, 08:36 PM
So the dealership wants to give me 6800 for my car and I owe 5600 on it. Do you think it would be a better idea to try and sell it privately to get more money? Here are the specs on my car.

2005 NHBP
32,800 miles
completely stock except for a megan racing midpipe.
Clean carfx, never been in an accident
just got the front rotors and hawk hps pads installed.
Inspection and Emissions just done w/ oil change

How much do you think i could sell my car for? And would it be a better idea to sell it privately.

widebodyeg
02-08-2011, 08:56 PM
sound like a nice car, you could probably sell it for around 8K

usedep3
02-08-2011, 08:59 PM
dang! 32,800! a low mileage ep..

assuming its in excellent condition inside and out, kbb.com will probably appraise your car at 12k for private sale and like 10k for trade in value. you could prob get more for the car but it really depends on how quickly you want to sell it and/or how much a private party would be willing to pay. keep in mind it's kinda of a PITA to sell a car privately

i think you could get more than 6800 for it.

whatsvtec
02-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Definitely sell that bish. You can get WAY more than they're offering you.

cvicep3
02-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Very low mileage. Can you post some pics?

jayrck81
02-08-2011, 09:06 PM
I decided to post it for sale here all ready. Ill be adding more pics of it tomorrow. Its in the car classifieds. Id rather not deal with the dealer guys. Thanks for the advice

tru3aznplayaz
02-08-2011, 09:28 PM
damn 32k...i have 148k..my car probably not worth much..

siege911
02-08-2011, 09:54 PM
I agree with what's been posted already... definitely sell it! Good luck, hopefully you find someone who appreciates a low mileage '05 ep3!

Hasbro
02-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Dealerships are a rip off when it comes to trading. You can make $3-4,000.00 more on your own.

Sub
02-09-2011, 07:27 AM
With only 32k miles, I don't think you will have a problem selling it (assuming it is good condition).

Project Yellow
02-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Sell it privately, shoot I'd give you 6K for it. Dealerships going to sell it for 10 and it will probably go quickly.

ImportCustomx
02-09-2011, 11:38 AM
if this starts to turn into a FS thread then i am going to have to close it. if the seller wants to sell the car on the website please follow the rules..

you must meet the requirements to sell on this site, and you must post in the auto-classifieds section.

other than that..my .02

sell it yourself, and yeah between 6-8 is reasonable..depends on how long you want to sit on the car for.

jayrck81
02-09-2011, 11:45 AM
if this starts to turn into a FS thread then i am going to have to close it. if the seller wants to sell the car on the website please follow the rules..

you must meet the requirements to sell on this site, and you must post in the auto-classifieds section.

other than that..my .02

sell it yourself, and yeah between 6-8 is reasonable..depends on how long you want to sit on the car for.

Sorry man, I all ready made a FS thread in the right section. I wanted to see what people thought first before i did. You can close this thread if needed. Thanks.

bizzle
02-10-2011, 03:03 PM
While I will admit they do not typically offer great trade in values but you need to keep a few things in mind. First of all, they are buying it to RESELL. When they resell it, they want to make money. They aren't buying it to personally drive. Second, they usually put some type of warranty on it when they sell it, that costs money if they need to repair it. Third, overhead. Running a business isn't free. You need to pay your staff, pay for your property (initial capital needed to build the place, then property taxes), upkeep of your property, business license, pay for your electricity, etc etc. Fourth, you need to store the vehicle. Yes, you have a lot, but you need the vehicle insured in some sense. Now maybe you don't pay per vehicle but you pay for your lot to be covered, still, another expense. You then need to market the vehicle, not free. Ads, signs, etc etc.

sicivicguy
02-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Yeah.. 8k sounds about right... Just sell it privately and get more... I've seen some decent ep's with over 100k go for like $6K so it you shouldn't go that low at all. Just wait and you'll find a good buyer.