PDA

View Full Version : Changing spark plugs... Go colder?

whatsvtec
02-08-2011, 09:58 PM
I have myself a set of NGK iridium ix BKR7EIX-11. I know it is one step colder than our stock plugs, but I'm somewhat broke and can't get another set. Since everyone on here is pretty damn friendly and even more knowledgeable I figured I could ask here.

How much damage/if any at all, could I do by running colder plugs on my stock a3? I'm going to be changing my valve cover gasket soon and when I do, I'd like to change the plugs and get it all over with.

Thanks for any input and responses. :mbiggrin:

whatsvtec
02-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Bump for some help? I'm tired of seeing oil on the block, but don't want to change the gasket without changing plugs.

Lucid Moments
02-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Run with them man. You will do no harm to your engine running one step colder plugs.

whatsvtec
02-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Cool, this makes me feel a little better. I'm gonna keep looking for info, but I didn't think it could do much damage.

Now to order that Valve Cover Gasket kit from Majestic

Edit:MODS please CLOSE (unless you think I'll be doing harm :mbiggrin:)

TheKone
03-16-2011, 08:38 AM
No you are not going to hurt anything. What might haappen is that those colder plugs might not last as long if you drive at a normal pace. Since the plugs will always be a little colder than stock plugs they won't burn off deposits and oil as effectively leading to fouled plugs sooner. If you are heavy footed though, they will be just fine since their temp should be around the same as the stock plugs would be with a less aggresive driver. I drive like a grandma 90% of the time so I just use the OEM NGK plugs in my A3.