PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Cornering

Notis
02-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Hello to everyone,

I would like your suggestion what I can put for High Speed Cornering, my car is perfect on high speed cornering but I need some more.........
Any suggestion acceptable.

Suspension Specs:
KW Variant 2
JS Racing Front Strut Brace
JS Racing Tie Rods
Skunk 2 Rear Lower Tie Bar

27rocks
02-10-2011, 10:46 AM
You can throw away that Skunk2 rear lower tie bar it does nothing but add weight. But one good investment is some nice sway bars!! Also down the road bushings will help dramatically. And of course good tires.

ep_hatcher_510
02-10-2011, 10:49 AM
You can throw away that Skunk2 rear lower tie bar it does nothing but add weight. But one good investment is some nice sway bars!! Also down the road bushings will help dramatically. And of course good tires.

^^ that, also a good alignment.

Kerby
02-10-2011, 11:03 AM
alignment
tires
spring
dampers
bushings
sways.

Sways should be the last mod. changing/swaping swaybars are for fine tuning the suspension not setting it up.

Zzyzx
02-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Tires Tires Tires. They are after all the only thing touching the ground. (hopefully)

the rest of the suspension, alignment included, is just there to keep the tires in their happy place.

SO... what tires do you have?

Also, are you looking for more grip overall, or are you trying to tweak the cars handling balance? they are after all two very different things.

Notis
02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
What do you think about H Brace and JS Racing floor bar?

Zzyzx
02-10-2011, 11:11 AM
What do you think about H Brace and JS Racing floor bar?

More or less worthless. Chassis bracing does effect the "Feel" of the car, but has a minimal influence on the cars handling prowess. For example, if you are looking for that last thenth of a second on a road course, stiffining the chassis may get you it. But if you arnt... your just wasteing money better spent on other parts.

Notis
02-10-2011, 11:18 AM
I have Bridzestone RE 050A 205/45 R17 and I will put Toyo R888 205/40 R17, what do you think about dimension?

Zzyzx
02-10-2011, 11:25 AM
To narrow really, this is a heavy car after all. 215-225 wold be a better option. Are you still on the OEM wheels?

Notis
02-10-2011, 11:38 AM
I have Stock Rims 17x7 but in my opinion with R888 205/40 R17 I will have improveness toward RE 050A on dry Tarmac, what do you think?

27rocks
02-10-2011, 11:44 AM
I have Stock Rims 17x7 but in my opinion with R888 205/40 R17 I will have improveness toward RE 050A on dry Tarmac, what do you think?

You are going to want to invest in some wider wheels. At least some 8" wide ones and run some 235's. If you are going to dump money on some R888's might as well wait and get a nice wide wheel and buy some nice wide tires.

dkid15
02-10-2011, 12:15 PM
If its the j's racing floor bar im thinking of then it would do much for rigidity but it will save you 20lbs or so. Extremely important in an EP3

T_Virus
02-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Hello to everyone,

I would like your suggestion what I can put for High Speed Cornering, my car is perfect on high speed cornering but I need some more.........
Any suggestion acceptable.

Suspension Specs:
KW Variant 2
JS Racing Front Strut Brace
JS Racing Tie Rods
Skunk 2 Rear Lower Tie Bar

I would like to know what kind of high speed corning you are doing and how is your car perfect on high speed cornering.

Notis
02-10-2011, 03:52 PM
I would like to know what kind of high speed corning you are doing and how is your car perfect on high speed cornering.

I dont want any advise of you because you are very offensive about your reply (How is your car perfect on high speed cornering) but for me my car is very good on high speed cornering.

PatrickJamesYu
02-10-2011, 04:03 PM
I dont want any advise of you because you are very offensive about your reply (How is your car perfect on high speed cornering) but for me my car is very good on high speed cornering.
I don't think he was trying to be offensive
and/or the comment was even offensive.

You simply stated that your car was 'perfect' for high speed cornering
He along with many of us want to know how you achieved this

ShadowEP3
02-10-2011, 04:28 PM

x2

share your secrets :hay:

back to topic:
best tire?..assuming wheels are stock 04 EP3 wheels
and
ball joints? (im looking to pick up BC ball joints)

btw OP; whered you get Js Racing tie rods?..im looking to get some but cant source em out

PatrickJamesYu
02-10-2011, 05:03 PM
x2

share your secrets :hay:

back to topic:
best tire?..assuming wheels are stock 04 EP3 wheels
and
ball joints? (im looking to pick up BC ball joints)
btw OP; whered you get Js Racing tie rods?..im looking to get some but cant source em out

Keep in mind that he or she is located in Greece
The 04 wheels you speak of might be different than the actual stock wheels for the car.

Drew1d
02-10-2011, 08:48 PM
I would say rear sway next. It's cheap. It's effective. You can even swap it yourself. Don't get rid of your old bar, you can always swap it back if you change other things.

Tires makes your car handle best, but changing your steering is the most fun.

powdbyrice
02-10-2011, 08:57 PM
ima guess that he has a CTR already, so rear sway upgrade is kinda pointless unless he gets a 25mm or something.

Drew1d
02-10-2011, 09:06 PM
ima guess that he has a CTR already, so rear sway upgrade is kinda pointless unless he gets a 25mm or something.
I agree, the CTR sway is good. No need to change if it's that. I suppose he could add a smaller front sway, but you have to disconnect the exhaust to get it in and out. Too much of a pain to do if you do the work yourself, unless your already changing the exhaust.

As a street car, a CTR shouldn't need much except for good tires and gas in the tank.

Zzyzx
02-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I would be wary of messing with anti-roll bars at this time. He says the car handles well, so we should assume its handling balance is what he wants it to be. Messing with the anti-roll bars will drastically change that handling balance and may cause the car to handle in an unwanted if not unexpected way.

Best to focus on maximizing grip for now. So, tires & a good non OEM alignment.

T_Virus
02-11-2011, 01:38 PM

Hahaha...I only stated what you are saying...Infact I would like to know what kind of EP you have. A CTR or not? Also what kind of high speed cornering are you doing? Circuit? Highway? Auto cross? Off road? How is it that your car is "perfect" on high speed corning? What makes it perfect? How low is your car dropped? What are your alignment specs? Got videos on how you are cornering with your car? We would want to know so maybe all of us can learn to be perfect as well.

And that Skunk 2 Rear Lower Tie Bar does not perfect your suspension...I have it and it is more of a bling...I don't know if you already have the ctr stock suspensions or similar ctr specs but I've got skunk2 lower control arms, civic type r rear sway bar, DC Front Strut Bar-changed to the Comptech front strut bar, still on Tein Basic Coilovers and among these parts, the best was the civic type r rear sway bar which I felt a big difference than all the others. But I wouldn't say my car is 'perfect'...

Either way, ZZYZX has given you his golden knowledge so now it is up to you...

Thanks... that is what I wanted to know...

Notis
02-11-2011, 06:16 PM
First of all I would like to tell you that for me the car is perfect on high speed cornering THIS IS MY OPINION and I would like to finish this NOW, Secondly my Car is Honda Civic Type R EP3 EDM and thank you for your help and your opinions.

makavelibranded
02-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Where are you racing this car? track or street

PatrickJamesYu
02-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Okay, now that its all clear
I say tires would be a good upgrade
the CTR specs are great

Maybe new tires and wheels?
Some of the quickest ep3's I've seen on a local track are running 17x9's
I think with +22 or +38 offsets, I forgot which.
All of which running some beefy tires
235/45 or
245/45
Along with many running the CTR spec wheels and tires and getting great times.
Do you daily this car?

Notis
02-12-2011, 03:29 AM
Where are you racing this car? track or street

I have this car only for street use

Notis
02-12-2011, 03:38 AM
Okay, now that its all clear
I say tires would be a good upgrade
the CTR specs are great

Maybe new tires and wheels?
Some of the quickest ep3's I've seen on a local track are running 17x9's
I think with +22 or +38 offsets, I forgot which.
All of which running some beefy tires
235/45 or
245/45
Along with many running the CTR spec wheels and tires and getting great times.
Do you daily this car?

I haven't this car for daily use but I have it only for street use, I believe that If I ll put 235/45 for example probably I ll lose on tight road some characteristics of the car and maybe I ll lose power. What do you think?

Hasbro
02-12-2011, 06:56 AM
I would be wary of messing with anti-roll bars at this time. He says the car handles well, so we should assume its handling balance is what he wants it to be. Messing with the anti-roll bars will drastically change that handling balance and may cause the car to handle in an unwanted if not unexpected way.

Best to focus on maximizing grip for now. So, tires & a good non OEM alignment.
Pay attention to what Zzyzx recomends. He will get you to where you want to go.

dirtyMETHOD
02-12-2011, 07:34 AM
I agree...

Wider tires will only help you achieve better/more stable high speed cornering due to the increase in grip, which will increase the cars overall g-force threshold/limit. That means more stability at faster speeds while cornering.

Anyone chime in.. But to my knowledge the only time wider tires will decrease performance is in winter conditions, especially snow and slush.(loving my Altimax Arctic snows BTW! Being thoroughly tested during this record breaking New England winter)

Draw7Seven
02-12-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm going to just chime in with what everybody else has already mentioned in regards to stock wheels. Even if you put an otherwise EXCELLENT set of rubbers on the stock wheels, they're going to be narrow. You may be able to drop wheel weight and go wider at the same time with a set of aftermarket wheels.

Draw7Seven
02-12-2011, 08:58 AM
to my knowledge the only time wider tires will decrease performance is in winter conditions

I think this applies to heavy rainfall as well, wouldn't it? While of course tread depth is probably the most critical in keeping the car grounded, it could be argued that a more broad application of the car's weight would make it more easy for the vehicle to hydroplane instead of having narrow wheels "cutting" through the puddle. Again, not as obvious as the implications of narrow tires in winter weather, I agree.

And correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a couch potato hypothetical philosopher rather than an experienced driver.

dirtyMETHOD
02-12-2011, 11:25 AM
I think this applies to heavy rainfall as well, wouldn't it? While of course tread depth is probably the most critical in keeping the car grounded, it could be argued that a more broad application of the car's weight would make it more easy for the vehicle to hydroplane instead of having narrow wheels "cutting" through the puddle. Again, not as obvious as the implications of narrow tires in winter weather, I agree.

And correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a couch potato hypothetical philosopher rather than an experienced driver.

Makes sense to me.

But on dry pavement....width/compound rules

Ok, to stay on topic:

How much rainfall does our Greek friend get, I don't think any snow there unless he lives near mountains.

So what is the best performance tire with water shedding abilities EP Hatchers have/are using?

PatrickJamesYu
02-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Because you are the driver, it is hard for us to decide what is best.
We are all unfamiliar with the weather conditions, road conditions, driving style, track surface, and a few other factors, that is relative to you.

Seeing that the topic switched heavily into tire spec,
Know that all the different combinations may perform better in a specific area and suck at others.
Things like tire compound formula, grippy wide tires are heavier, some argue with stretched side walls having less flex, etc.

It's best to experiment
It sucks 'cause it's expensive
But thats what it takes to really understand what tire with what characteristics suits you and your driving style

Goodluck

makavelibranded
02-13-2011, 11:39 AM
I have this car only for street use

Idk why you all are still giving advice when he says hes doing high speed cornering on the street.

PatrickJamesYu
02-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Idk why you all are still giving advice when he says hes doing high speed cornering on the street.

oh didn't see that

thread close? haha

makavelibranded
02-14-2011, 10:46 AM
haha might as well, probly some kid that just saw his 1st f&f film

27rocks
02-14-2011, 11:00 AM
I wish this thread would just go away already.

Notis
02-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Thank you to everyone for your knowledge and your expirience you covered me absolutely about my problem..............

T_Virus
02-14-2011, 02:17 PM

That was my thought on page 1.

haha might as well, probly some kid that just saw his 1st f&f film

I knew I smell a ricer...BTW another F&F film is coming out and I never finish watching all of them.

I wish this thread would just go away already.

I couldn't agree more. He says his EP is 'perfect' for high speed cornering but some how is still asking for guidence, but it never hurts to ask. My guess is, his car is not 'perfect', but if that is his opinion, then he is entitled to it. I asked what kind of high speed cornering he does, if it is circuit, autocross, off road, etc but all he says is that "Street". This is how street racing turns really ugly.

i_love_my_ep3!
02-14-2011, 02:30 PM
not trying to be an ass but really thought i would get a good way to high speed coner cuz i suck a time management and would like to know what it takes to do high speed conering but still have yet to see what it take im lost lol no hard feelings on anyone what soo ever but still waiting hahha

Notis
02-14-2011, 02:45 PM
First of all I wrote down on the first page the suspension specs of my car, for me my car is perfect but for all of you no because probably you have better car than me. I dont say anything ironically.

27rocks
02-14-2011, 04:05 PM
not trying to be an ass but really thought i would get a good way to high speed coner cuz i suck a time management and would like to know what it takes to do high speed conering but still have yet to see what it take im lost lol no hard feelings on anyone what soo ever but still waiting hahha

It's really simple. You want more grip?? Get wider and stickier tires. Its that easy. Everything else is just a tuning tool like Zzyzx has already said.

makavelibranded
02-14-2011, 09:09 PM
im glad you responded I didint think that was in english

PatrickJamesYu
02-14-2011, 10:51 PM
First of all I wrote down on the first page the suspension specs of my car, for me my car is perfect but for all of you no because probably you have better car than me. I dont say anything ironically.

If you have a ctr, you probably have a better car than 75% of the people opn here

02TWSI
02-15-2011, 02:43 AM
If you have a ctr, you probably have a better car than 90% of the people opn here

Fixed!

T_Virus
02-15-2011, 01:30 PM
If you have a ctr, you probably have a better car than 99% of the people on here

Fixed!

x2

SHG_EasyE
02-17-2011, 05:09 AM
If you want to keep your stock wheels and not spend a bunch of money on a new set I would reccomend a 225 40 17 R888. It will fit fine on your wheel and give you tons of grip compared to a 205. They will also go longer before overheating because of the larger surface area.

Hasbro
02-20-2011, 10:26 PM
If you want to keep your stock wheels and not spend a bunch of money on a new set I would reccomend a 225 40 17 R888. It will fit fine on your wheel and give you tons of grip compared to a 205. They will also go longer before overheating because of the larger surface area.

... and they would probably last a few years since you're on snows for, what, 7-8 months of the year?

Notis, pmed you.