PDA

View Full Version : swapping ecu question?

Von Garcia
02-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Hey guys, does anybody know if my car will start if i swap a different ecu from a different ep3? I'm assuming my ecu is going bad and i just need to verify it by switching it to a different ep3. My question is....is it going to start since this cars are built with immobilizers in their keys.

I appreciate it if you guys came up with an idea.

RHCP0801
02-11-2011, 04:41 PM
no, it will not start

Von Garcia
02-11-2011, 05:12 PM
What if i used the same key from the other car? all i need to know is if my ecu is bad or not. Any suggestions on how to fix this? What if my ecu is bad and i really need to change it no matter what...do i have to bring it to a dealership and get a new one from them?

RHCP0801
02-11-2011, 10:42 PM
his key is not cut to fit your ignition so no that wont work

you can get a used ecu programmed by the dealer for your immobilizer

Von Garcia
02-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Ayt bro thanks. I guess thats the only way to do it then. Btw...do u know how to figure out if ur ecu is bad or not? since my plan isnt going to work newys. i really appreciate ur help.

talonXracer
02-12-2011, 06:57 AM
There are THREE codes that are compared within the ECU, the key(A), ECU(C) and the imobilizor/key detector(B) itself all have codes that need to synch. (A + B = C)

The Helms manual has as a troubleshooting step to swap out ECU's but the stealerships have their hand unit to change the codes within the ECU and we do not have that ability.

What is your ECU issue that you think the ECU has a malfunction?

Sukiyaki90
02-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Does anyone know about how much it cost to go through the dealership? ..i was also wondering if i had to go to a dealership or can i go to redzone or some tuning place?

RHCP0801
02-15-2011, 06:58 PM
dealership is the only place that has the honda tablet, dealers are also the only place that receive the password for the immoblizers since it changes every month or so

not sure how much it costs, i did mine for free since i used to work at a dealer

RedSiBaron
02-15-2011, 07:03 PM
your ecu is not "going bad" computers dont slowly go bad, especially when nothing in the ecu can change, it either works or it doesnt...

look elsewhere is my guess