PDA

View Full Version : reliability of k20a3 vtec killer

Andrew
02-11-2011, 06:40 PM
does anyone have any experience or knowledge on how reliable a vtec killer set up would be on a k20a3 for daily driving?

gamma6
02-11-2011, 06:52 PM
does anyone have any experience or knowledge on how reliable a vtec killer set up would be on a k20a3 for daily driving?

yeah i would like to know as well...

Andrew
02-11-2011, 07:53 PM
yeah i would like to know as well...

i really wanna know if it is reliable b/c my ep3 is my DD so if not i'd rather just go another route like a swap or boost. then i want to know if it'd even pass smog in CA with that type of idle

gamma6
02-11-2011, 08:02 PM
i really wanna know if it is reliable b/c my ep3 is my DD so if not i'd rather just go another route like a swap or boost. then i want to know if it'd even pass smog in CA with that type of idle

its the money thing for me... the vtec killer set up isnt too expensive (aside from kpro) but a swap costs a lot more

Onasty
02-11-2011, 09:16 PM
:frusty:

talonXracer
02-12-2011, 07:24 AM
You will not pass a Cali emissions test.

The vtech killer is as reliable as any other engine with similar specs, the idle is very noticeably lumpy(read: inspectors will know something is up)

k20power
02-12-2011, 07:26 AM
I might be going that same route

Andrew
02-12-2011, 12:20 PM

The vtech killer is as reliable as any other engine with similar specs, the idle is very noticeably lumpy(read: inspectors will know something is up)

thank you sir for clearing that up.

in honest opinion talon, which swap do you think would be best for a cali ep3 owner?

Ep3crazy
02-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Go k24 frank.. Swap or a k20a2. nd ive heard the idel of the v tec killer cams nd really how HOT it is in SOCAL ULL B GETTIN PULLED OVER TO MUCH. Nd do u wanna make big power or just gain power stay oem.. Cuz had just asked a question bout keepin that block nd swapin the head but still cant make hi number cuz of our small internAls...

talonXracer
02-13-2011, 10:53 AM
By far the easiest and most painless swap with the least chance of issues with the man, would be a complete K20A2 w/6spd swap.

T_Virus
02-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Andrew, I agree with Talonxracer, you might as well go k20a2 with 6speed tranny... the vtec killer method is cheaper but the idle would be annoying for daily driven. Just go with the same mods Kyle did. K20A2 JRSC and cams. That way you make some power in the lower & mid end with the JRSC and then to the high end with vtec.

Andrew
02-24-2011, 12:42 PM
By far the easiest and most painless swap with the least chance of issues with the man, would be a complete K20A2 w/6spd swap.

Andrew, I agree with Talonxracer, you might as well go k20a2 with 6speed tranny... the vtec killer method is cheaper but the idle would be annoying for daily driven. Just go with the same mods Kyle did. K20A2 JRSC and cams. That way you make some power in the lower & mid end with the JRSC and then to the high end with vtec.

a late response, but thank you guys for your input!

codyep3
02-24-2011, 01:34 PM

The vtec killer is as reliable as any other engine with similar specs, the idle is very noticeably lumpy(read: inspectors will know something is up)

sorry I had to XD

Supaduck
02-24-2011, 11:46 PM
i wouldnt recommend the vtec killer. its more geared for track cars, i mean what else is vtec there for.

arthur
03-22-2011, 10:03 PM
I want to do the vtec killer setup. My ep3 is my DD but its starting to be my track car! The rules here state that the engine has to be the one that came with the car, so no swapping is aloud. Do you guys think this is a cheap good solution?

talonXracer
03-23-2011, 05:51 AM
i wouldnt recommend the vtec killer. its more geared for track cars, i mean what else is vtec there for.

The original VTEC killer from Spoon is a track setup only because of the custom camshafts, BUT the OEM alternative is not a track only setup, it uses stock A2 camshafts. The large camshaft lobe on the A2 is very close to what I am running on the small lobe of the IPS K2's I have installed and the bottom end is very strong and truely kicks ass around town. Sure the cam overlap is significantly different than the stock A3's set-up, but it is easily handled with Kpro.

VTEC was entirely a design intended to increase ECONOMY out of a performance engine, not the other way around.

smack
06-23-2011, 09:44 AM
would a k20a2 ep3 pass a smog in cali?