PDA

View Full Version : Replacing lower control arm

Aklass
02-15-2011, 04:28 PM
So today after putting my car on a lift for alignment, I found that the control arm is bent. Can anyone post a DIY? and what Parts I need? Usually when you purchase a lower control arm, it comes with a ball joint, however when I looked up the part on Napa and advanced auto, it says it is not required or N/A for the ball joint. So should I purchase one or is it not required?
Thanks!

talonXracer
02-15-2011, 04:40 PM
The ball joint is pressed into the knuckle and the tapered pin end goes into the control arm.

Aklass
02-15-2011, 04:43 PM
The ball joint is pressed into the knuckle and the tapered pin end goes into the control arm.

so I should be able to reuse it?

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
02-15-2011, 06:36 PM
you should be able to reuse it the ball joint is on the knuckle not on the LCA. Are you gonna install them your self, if you do make sure you have the correct ball joint remover. When i did my LCA bushing i messed up one of the ball joints because i didnt have the right tool.

Aklass
02-15-2011, 08:21 PM
you should be able to reuse it the ball joint is on the knuckle not on the LCA. Are you gonna install them your self, if you do make sure you have the correct ball joint remover. When i did my LCA bushing i messed up one of the ball joints because i didnt have the right tool.
What tool? I just bought a genuine LCA, and hopefully I don't screw this up... Also can someone link me to a napa/advanced auto/ autozone replacement clip for the ball joint?

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
02-15-2011, 09:32 PM
I used this one from Harbor Freight only 20 bucks and it worked the first time. Also in the back of car mag's there is always a 20% off coupon for harbor freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_4324.jpg
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-point-joint-separator-99849.html?___SID=U

HondaFreak
02-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Just FYI, be careful and use that in addition to a hammer. You can bend the ball joint with that tool. ^^^^

Aklass
02-16-2011, 04:07 AM
usually when removing a ball joint, I've used a pry bar and hammered the control arm, to use that tool, you just place one end on the nut or the ball joint and the other on the arm and screw down?

k20power
02-16-2011, 06:48 AM
I was replacing my ball joint and took it out a with a hammer but the all the end of the threads good thing I was replacing it n not using it again..I just change my lower control arms and is not hard at all

Aklass
02-16-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm hoping the ball joint isn't damaged so I can reuse it, To remove the LCA, I can just use a pry bar and hammer right?

27rocks
02-16-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm hoping the ball joint isn't damaged so I can reuse it, To remove the LCA, I can just use a pry bar and hammer right?

I would use a proper tool to remove it. A pry bar will most likely damage the ball joint and the dust cover boot. If you can get that tool ^^^ and use it properly. You might have to bang on the LCA a little to pop it out but it will save the threads and the dust cover boot.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
02-16-2011, 01:21 PM
what i did was i used that tool. I put the tool on the ball joint then hit the side of the LCA and it popped right out. I used the too to put tension and pressure on the joint first then hit it lightly with a hammer.

Aklass
02-16-2011, 02:57 PM
umm hate to sound like an idiot, but how the hell do you use that tool?
Edit: after talking with my dad who is helping me do this, he said "why do we need to buy that?" and he said that he would just use a floor jack to put some pressure on the ball joint

27rocks
02-16-2011, 06:03 PM
umm hate to sound like an idiot, but how the hell do you use that tool?
Edit: after talking with my dad who is helping me do this, he said "why do we need to buy that?" and he said that he would just use a floor jack to put some pressure on the ball joint

That wont work...

Aklass
02-16-2011, 06:08 PM
I'll just let him fail for not listening to me, We're going to make a visit to HF for cotter pins anyways, so I might as well make him buy one

PREJDMLUDE
02-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Did you replace them with oem or aftermarket need to do mine.

ep3prox
02-21-2011, 01:09 AM
dang it...i need to replace my LCA and ball joints as well. It seems like this is happening to most 02-03 ep3s. Anyone wanna do the labor for me at a price? PM me if you're from the east bay/south bay area. =D

Drew1d
02-21-2011, 09:50 AM
I did mine, bout a $50 tool that looks just like that. Worked great. The only thing, I replaced the ball joint boots and repacked them with grease. It's a cheap item, and easy to do when you have that all apart. Good luck.

(Also replace castle nut, cotter pin)

Aklass
02-21-2011, 11:05 AM
I took the LCA out, by placing a Jack an a piece of wood on the ball joint nut, and hammered down on the LCA until it loosened up, they I took my 1/2" MAC impact wrench and blasted all the nuts out and removed the LCA. The new LCA I got is an oem one that I'm waiting to ship from CA. The bolts might be rusted to the bushing sleeve like mine where though, in that case I took a channel lock and a breaker bar to break the bolts loose before I hit them with the 1/2" MAC impact. I might get some anti seize or ball bearing grease to put the nuts back to prevent rust

whoisasdf
03-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Did you guys have to compress the spring and strut to get the lca off?

Drew1d
03-17-2011, 04:53 AM
Did you guys have to compress the spring and strut to get the lca off?
No. You don't need to remove the strut to disconnect the LCA.