PDA

View Full Version : Mag Blue Powdercoat

RHDmeatwagon
02-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Im trying to find a powder color that is similar to a mag blue thats on Volks.
Im possibly adopting my bf's BBSs from his STI and they are silver and we agreed on a mag blue ish

Anyone had any such luck getting something similar? I wasnt able to find much online.

Or I suppose if you know of a paint or rattle can thats close that works as well if I get desperate.
Thanks in advance

For those who arent aware... Mag Blue=
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq327/bpauto2/MagBlueCE28N023copy.jpg

ep3jd
02-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Any good shop could match that for you!

RHDmeatwagon
02-16-2011, 12:52 PM
But I really dont want to paint them, because I just love how durable p/c ing is.
But I suppose if there is no hope Ill just go that route

ep3jd
02-16-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm speaking in reference to powder coating haha

PatrickJamesYu
02-16-2011, 01:01 PM
I think if you can take it to a professional they can do it.
Print a few different pictures of wheels in Mag Blue.
Things that are similar to what you want it to be
since color can differ from each camera's function for auto exposures,
and each brand of camera has a different interpretation of what color is what.

But take the picture to them, mention it does have flake
I think Konig wheels offered wheels in Mag Blue or Winning Blue (i think it's called)
Maybe you should contact both Volk, and Konig
Say that you have wheels in Mag Blue (or whatever the real name is in the catalog)
And that you got bad curb rash, and you wanted to know the info for some touch up paint
Or you can try to say you've got curb rash on the wheels you bought
and you want to refinish it your self, and that you need the mix formula for your local powdercoater
Haha

I don't know the average powdercoat shop can do it
Unless they specifically do wheels.
Powdercoating is a service shared in many fields.
Basically anything metal that needs color, and to protect it
Many of those not being so color specific.

I would think a custom auto repair/ refinish kind of place can do it
They can use their imagination to achieve it, rather than "by the book" if you under stand what I mean..

Good Luck!

ShadowEP3
02-16-2011, 01:10 PM
ive never seen a rattle can come close to mag blue

powder coats gonna be your only choice to get that color

Andrew
02-16-2011, 08:54 PM
i thought your bf had an ep3

RHDmeatwagon
02-17-2011, 06:35 AM
Well have to see how qualified the places around me are. Thanks for the suggestions

i thought your bf had an ep3

Traded it in for an 05 STI a few months back now.

.colin
02-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Lauren, I don't know who did your powdercoating on your valve cover, but you may want to try Electrokote in North Huntingdon. They do all our powdercoating for my work and if you tell them what you are looking for they might be able to find you something. I have a few powdercoat charts in my office with colors, I'll try to find you something at lunch so you have a product code to reference.

.colin
02-18-2011, 04:59 AM
Lauren, no luck on a powdercoat spec, but a color that was on another chart that is an automotive paint matched pretty good.

Try Akzo Nobel Blue FLNA9207 or Akzo Nobel Blue FLNA9961

K-Series
02-18-2011, 05:04 AM
There are colors that are close, but for an exact match from a powder coater they'll need to send the wheel to the powder mfg to get an exact color match made. Unlike paint where hues can be mixed and altered for the perfect color, powder doesn't have the same flexibility. (It can be mixed, but not as well or easily as paint.)

Steve

RHDmeatwagon
02-18-2011, 06:24 AM
Lauren, no luck on a powdercoat spec, but a color that was on another chart that is an automotive paint matched pretty good.

Lauren, I don't know who did your powdercoating on your valve cover, but you may want to try Electrokote in North Huntingdon. They do all our powdercoating for my work and if you tell them what you are looking for they might be able to find you something. I have a few powdercoat charts in my office with colors, I'll try to find you something at lunch so you have a product code to reference.

Thanks man, Ill have to go have a chat with the places I know. Ive been to several other ones but never electokote. Thats right around my stomping grounds, their prices pretty good?

.colin
02-18-2011, 06:48 AM
Thanks man, Ill have to go have a chat with the places I know. Ive been to several other ones but never electokote. Thats right around my stomping grounds, their prices pretty good?

they are usually pretty good, i had them quote me to powdercoat rims once, they said about 100 a piece.

RHDmeatwagon
02-18-2011, 06:56 AM
they are usually pretty good, i had them quote me to powdercoat rims once, they said about 100 a piece.

Hot dog I had my 17s done for 250 maybe. They seem pretty reputable though.

.colin
02-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Hot dog I had my 17s done for 250 maybe. They seem pretty reputable though.

250 total? or 250 a piece?

RHDmeatwagon
02-18-2011, 07:04 AM

250 total? or 250 a piece?

Total, It was gonna be 300 to do a pinstripe lip

dink32788
02-23-2011, 08:35 PM
just so u know i google magnesium blue powdercoat cause i had plans of doing it on the wheels i just got before winter... and of course i click on something from ephatch and its u. hahaha not happy lauren ;-). but if it helps i found on another site that the paint code is "#041e57". if u dont go through with it, let me know, cause i wanna, but i dont want us to match :)

RHDmeatwagon
02-23-2011, 11:18 PM
haha. Oops Dink. Its going on Zachs BBS so I dont think Ill be running them all the time Since he has the RE070s on them. just to borrow them whenever. My bronze wheels are fine for now.

And it prob wont be too too similar since I refuse to paint wheels at this point. Oh well we are getting them done soon I think.

Kis4KEN
03-04-2011, 02:55 AM
I will choke a bitch if you rattle can those. Take to any body shop other than maaco, earl schieb, or 24hr paint and body. Any shop that has done any random insurance job should be able to match paint. If you were in socal, I'd do it myself.

RHDmeatwagon
03-04-2011, 08:15 AM
I will choke a bitch if you rattle can those. Take to any body shop other than maaco, earl schieb, or 24hr paint and body. Any shop that has done any random insurance job should be able to match paint. If you were in socal, I'd do it myself.

Im really not a fan of painted wheels. So if we get desperate well take them to a shop but otherwise they will get powdercoated

02spoonep
03-07-2011, 03:35 PM
To bad your not in Florida a friend of mine powdercoats and he has a color that matches great. Extremepowdercoaters.com

Project Yellow
03-08-2011, 10:57 AM
This came up a while ago on here too, and I talked to my dad about it and he said that he has very closely matched the color before. A professional should be able to.