PDA

View Full Version : Ground Controls bogging/hopping.

DOTEK
07-17-2002, 11:06 PM
I thought i post a new thread since i'm stating a whole new kind of problem.

my friend installed Ground Controls coil-overs on his Civic Si about a month ago. Up to date, aside from the conventional twist and twang there is also excessive wheel-hops everytime a drop clutch launch is performed. (I'm being bland, a better way of describing it would be : THE CAR STOOD IN ONE PLACE FOR "AT LEAST" 1 SECOND WHILE ITS FRONT WHEELS ARE STOMPING UP AND DOWN IN AN OUTLANDISH/FRIGHTFUL MANNER.)

is this common for anyone else here?

Scivichatch02
07-17-2002, 11:41 PM
thats why ground controls suck :-D

fishboy
07-18-2002, 09:58 AM
maybe it is your friend and not the coilovers.

DJQuikFingaz
07-18-2002, 10:02 AM
thats why ground controls suck :-D

You know somethin', YOU SUCK!!

DynaSpeed
07-18-2002, 11:20 AM
Well... how does anybody else feel about their GC's?

02TafWhtSi
07-18-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
Well... how does anybody else feel about their GC's?

I had a set on my 2000 EX over the stock shocks and HATED them. Let me repeat, I HATED them! The wrst investment I made on that car. Right from the shop I had the install done at there were all kinds of bangs and squeaks and noises coming from all 4 corners and it bounced up and down like a jac in the box. I took them off with in 2 months and replaced them with Eibach Sportlines and was happy until I traded the car in. MY own opinion - do not buy them - you WILL regret it.

SmoothOperator
07-18-2002, 07:26 PM
That's good to know because I was considering GCs. This is actually the first time I've ever heard anything bad about them. I suppose if you're going to go with coilovers...get REAL coilovers.

Jesse02SI
07-18-2002, 07:54 PM
I have always headr good hings about GC suspension kits was it done by a friend in your garage or at a performance shop

sammysir
07-18-2002, 09:42 PM
ground controls are top notch..... and btw..... your sport lines...... are eibachs............. so are ground control....... anyone that says they have these problems is because they expect the car to handle better when they slammed it 4 inches on stock shocks..... bah don't listen gc's hates everywhere get them installed properly and with all the rings properly tighten and the adjust ment rod with no slack around your shock and your cooking..... ground control and skunk2 best coil springs out there..... untill you get into race setups....

SmoothOperator
07-18-2002, 10:59 PM
I can totally see what you're talking about with this
"they expect the car to handle better when they slammed it 4 inches on stock shocks....."
You can't expect miracles.

SBC31
07-19-2002, 06:08 AM
I sure hope you got a wheel alignment after installing those babies.

02TafWhtSi
07-20-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Jesse02SI
I have always headr good hings about GC suspension kits was it done by a friend in your garage or at a performance shop

A shop did the install - they deal specifically with imports so changing a 6th gen Civic suspension for them is like changing a lightbulb. I went back twice after the install to complain and they checked it both times and couldn't find anything wrong. According to the mechanic "The inexpensive seudo coil-overs never really fit snug within the stock shock's housing like a solid spring will which can result in rubbing noises." He also said that the Honda shocks were not designed to cope with the lowered ride height which, in my case, resulted in a very bouncy ride and eventually a blown rear shock. I personally will only replace the springs from now on but, like others have said, they love the Ground Controls so more power to them and good luck in the future ;)

DOTEK
07-21-2002, 04:09 PM
thanks for all the feedback,

all these time we were contemplating whether the mechanic had actually installed the ground controls front to back;back to front! That theory remains dormant, as different spring rates will cause a car's suspension to react in ways that wasn't intended by the orginal manufacturer. you don't buy suspension parts from an Accord and put it on a Civic, the two totally weigh different!

In light of this new speculation, i can also understand why that could be true--since after all, that sucker is only about three inches...FROM THE GROUND!

SmoothOperator
07-22-2002, 06:06 PM
Well I might be trading in my Eibach Sportlines for some GCs. I want a lower stance than what I've got. I mentioned it to my dealership and they're considering taking back my sportlines and perhaps using my OEM wheels as payment. First I have to see how much they'll give me for em.

bioevolve
07-22-2002, 06:56 PM
I don't have any problems with mine, running stock front struts and yellow koni's on the back. I'm lowered about 2.25 inches. I did go about 2.5 inches and busted the rear stock struts, hence the new koni's. Handling wasn't all that great with rear stocks, but when I installed the yellows in the back everything was perfect.

So, I think you are having bad experiences with it because of the stock struts.

02TafWhtSi
07-22-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by bioevolve
So, I think you are having bad experiences with it because of the stock struts.

And this is what I thought at first too. However, after a call to Ground Control (actually more like 3 calls) they informed me that their coil-overs are designed around the stock suspension of whatever car they are making them for. They obviously couldn't make set-ups for every single aftermarket shock for every model of car. I guess its kind of like a "drop at your own risk" idea - even though you are able to drop it more than 3 inches they don't really reccomend it. As a side note I never had them lower than half way down the perch (maybe about 1.75" to 2") which may or may not explain the blown rear shocks. I guess I'll never really know. :rolleyes:

JoshSI
07-23-2002, 09:44 AM
Where is a good website that has prices on the shocks i need. I want superior handling in my Si and so far I only have GCs

bioevolve
07-23-2002, 03:57 PM
If you want the Yellows , you can get them from:

www.tirerack.com