PDA

View Full Version : installing springs this weekend. anything else to do while im down there?

str8upballur
02-16-2011, 02:40 PM
hey guys, i just bought eibach sportlines and will install them this weekend. is there anything else i should change while im down there and the tires are off (besides oil)? tie rod ends? any endlinks? car has about 52k miles. im second owner. doubt first one touched anything down there. thanks in advance

RedSiBaron
02-16-2011, 03:19 PM
at 52k there probably wont be anything worth changing...id inspect your tie rod end boots, if they are torn, check them for play, if they dont have any play (and the boot is torn) go to the honda dealer and pick up replacement boots...i always keep spare tie rod end boots on hand and if a boot tears i can replace the boot and regrease it before it wears out the tie rod end

str8upballur
02-16-2011, 09:36 PM
at 52k there probably wont be anything worth changing...id inspect your tie rod end boots, if they are torn, check them for play, if they dont have any play (and the boot is torn) go to the honda dealer and pick up replacement boots...i always keep spare tie rod end boots on hand and if a boot tears i can replace the boot and regrease it before it wears out the tie rod end

ok thank you. i will be installing the springs myself and have read a few DIYs and seems doable. how hard is it to install a camber kit myself. im guessing i will need to install atleast a rear camber kit with the springs.

RedSiBaron
02-17-2011, 12:14 AM
all ive ever needed was a rear kit, im lowered on progress springs 1.8 front and 1.5 rear and the fronts are always within factory spec...

rear kit is super easy, its 2 bolts...and springs are really easy, just make sure you are super careful when you compress the springs, you dont want a spring to decompress into your face

PatrickJamesYu
02-17-2011, 04:27 AM
INTO YOUR FACE!

Yeah I've seen spring compressor failure
by the cheap free rental ones from Autozone.
Luckly no one got hurt.

SHG_EasyE
02-17-2011, 04:53 AM
SiBaron pretty much covered it, but make sure you do the one critical step that usually goes overlooked while people are doing suspension work....

You need to torque the pivot bolts (any bolts that pass through a bushing) with the suspension compressed. This way the bushing is not under torsional load when the car is at it's static ride height. If you dont do this, and tighten the bolts when the car is off the ground and the suspension is drooped, it will put tremendous stress on your bushings and cause them to tear out.

Make sure ALL the pivot bolts are loose (even if you dont need to loosed them to get the shock out). Then you can just put your jack under the control arm near the hub and jack the hub up until the car is just about to lift off the jack stand, this will be close to where the suspension will be when the car is on the ground. Torque up all the bolts and youre g2g!

smykhaisouk
02-17-2011, 06:13 AM
anytime i have the wheels off i like to lubricate all rubber parts like the boots and bushings. be sure to grease or silicone spray the bushings on the rear cambers good cuz it'll squeak alot. thats pretty much it other than visual inspection of everything. oh dont forget to clean off the dirt and regrease your top hats also. those tend to sqeak alot too after drops.

blue2turbo
02-17-2011, 07:32 AM
While you have it apart you may want to consider just going ahead and replacing the bearing under the top hat. Also, Take about an hour or 2 MINIMUM before you start trying to take apart the rear and spray a lot of pbblaster on the rear bolt that holds the rear struts into the trailing arm. These bolts seem to sieze up on people quite often and can be a nightmare to get out. I know mine did.

Also i know you've read the DIY, but up front, MAKE SURE to secure the wheel hub so it doesn't tilt back to far, if the axles start to pop out, its just more of a hassle and headache to deal with.

Other then that, it's pretty straight forward. GL!

.colin
02-17-2011, 07:56 AM
^^ this, also make sure have A LOT of time and don't require your car immediately should anything go wrong.

RedSiBaron
02-17-2011, 08:02 AM
^^ this, also make sure have A LOT of time and don't require your car immediately should anything go wrong.

Haha I think this is the best advice in the whole thread...nothing is ever as simple as it should be...

.colin
02-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Haha I think this is the best advice in the whole thread...nothing is ever as simple as it should be...

When I put in my mugen suspension, I started at 8 am, didn't finish until about 5pm or so. Couldn't get the rear trailing arm bolt out - took about 4 hours and a busted thumb to finally get it. I had to ride a razor scooter a mile or so to the local autozone to get the neccesary tools lol. Just take your time and plan accordingly.

k20power
02-17-2011, 08:18 AM
I would recommend getting a camber kit so u have to buy tires all the time

RedSiBaron
02-17-2011, 09:04 AM
I would recommend getting a camber kit so u have to buy tires all the time

In all honesty I don't think any spring drop available to the ep would drop the car enough to cause adverse wear, even when I was dropped over 2" all around my front was still in factory spec without camber adjustment and just used a rear one to get my tires to clear the fender lip...honestly, rear kit on a spring drop is best to have just to get fitment right because with 205/50/16 and only a 1.5 drop you'll be rubbing in the rear without a little camber unless you roll your rear fender lip

str8upballur
02-17-2011, 12:16 PM
thanks for all the info guys.

Drew1d
02-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Start spraying the rear lower shock bolt with liquid wrench now. :) I find it is the hardest to remove.

.colin
02-21-2011, 09:53 AM
so how'd it go?!?

blue2turbo
02-22-2011, 07:01 AM
I just redid my whole car again and even for it being the second time in 2 months I still had a couple hiccups, so let us know how you did!