PDA

View Full Version : Swap Rust?... What to do?

sicivicguy
02-16-2011, 11:36 PM
So.... I just got me a K24A1 with about 30K on it... It's an 06 and has probably been sitting there since then. When I dropped the motor in and looked inside the oil filler hole. I can already see all the dry rusted cams.... NOW... My Question is to all you who have swapped in the past. Is this usual? Do Engine's for not being used for a long period of time build up rust on the inside even though the valve cover hasn't been removed. Or is it that they are just that dry and thats the color of the cams? I tried turning the crank by hand and when I had the motor in the car I tried pushing it, but it wont budge. Should I remove the the valve cover before starting and drop some oil on the timing change and valve train? Someone suggested this but I wasn't sure.

OH!... And after starting her up for the first time how long should I let her sit and idle before actually driving... And after that oild change should I do another soon?... I'm just worried about the old gunk... Planning on doing the first run with reglar 5W30 oil and a cheap filter and then switching over to a Honda Filter and Royal Purple 5W30 Synthetic.

02TWSI
02-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Wouldn't you want to run a good filter first? I'd let the car idle till it's at operating temps. Sorry I can't give insight into the rust problem.

sicivicguy
02-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Wouldn't you want to run a good filter first? I'd let the car idle till it's at operating temps. Sorry I can't give insight into the rust problem.

Well I'm actaully gonna run a fram filter... Ya know.. One of those Kregan oil Specials for like $25. Then I'm a go with Royal Purple and a Hamp or Honda filter... Probably Honda though... WAY CHEAPER!

Was just curious to see what people were doing.... Not even sure if it is rust or not. Plus they sell that Sea Foam stuff for your fuel system, so I was wounding if they sell anything like that for my predicament.... If it is one?

talonXracer
02-17-2011, 12:37 PM
I would pull a spark plug and see what it looks like, Internal rust and the inability to rotate the crank are not good things to hear or see on a swap, that engine sat exposed to the weather or was a flood recovery.

It wouldnt hurt to pull the VC and oil pan to see if there is any obvious signs of water intrusion, all it costs is time and some UltraflangeII.

sicivicguy
02-17-2011, 03:21 PM
I would pull a spark plug and see what it looks like, Internal rust and the inability to rotate the crank are not good things to hear or see on a swap, that engine sat exposed to the weather or was a flood recovery.

It wouldnt hurt to pull the VC and oil pan to see if there is any obvious signs of water intrusion, all it costs is time and some UltraflangeII.

Will do.... But lets say it as sitting in the elelments for while... what can I do to make sure its all gonna run good?

sicivicguy
02-19-2011, 05:56 PM
OK!... Removed the valve cover today and found that it wasn't as bad as I thought. I even looked down in spark plug shaft/hole and saw that there was no rust down there... And the timing chain looks great!... CHECK IT OUT!

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k147/sicivicguy/IMG_1365.jpg

WHAT YOU ALL THINK?

CLOSER...

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k147/sicivicguy/IMG_1366.jpg

Tnhatch03
02-19-2011, 06:05 PM
merged your two posts...

in case you were not sure... you can edit your posts and include the pictures. :-)

but to stay on topic -

HOLY RUST MAN! reminds me of the titanic...except, no one died.

sicivicguy
02-19-2011, 07:01 PM
merged your two posts...

in case you were not sure... you can edit your posts and include the pictures. :-)

but to stay on topic -

HOLY RUST MAN! reminds me of the titanic...except, no one died.

THANKS!... LOL I was trying but for some reason the second pic wasn't showing up? BUT YEAH... Theres a little rust in the cams but they look healthy. Gonna start hooking everything back up tomorrow as well as oil change.

OH!... BTW your Avatar looks like Assistant Manager LMFAO

talonXracer
02-19-2011, 07:43 PM
That is more than a little rust, those cams do not look useable in their present condition from those pictures, they will destroy the rollers on the rockers very quickly. They need to be removed, cleaned and resurfaced.

sicivicguy
02-19-2011, 08:00 PM
that is more than a little rust, those cams do not look useable in their present condition from those pictures, they will destroy the rollers on the rockers very quickly. They need to be removed, cleaned and resurfaced.

really!... Dammit!!!!!!! :-(

ARE YOU SAYING I JUST CANT CLR IT?

http://images.buzzillions.com/images_products/07/34/clr-calcium-lime-rust-remover-enhanced-formula-28oz_916608_raw.jpg
:mwink:

sleepy ep3
02-19-2011, 08:13 PM
That is more than a little rust, those cams do not look useable in their present condition from those pictures, they will destroy the rollers on the rockers very quickly. They need to be removed, cleaned and resurfaced.

^^^thats the first thing I thought when I saw those pics. DO NOT USE THOSE CAMS!! I would check the bottom end as well. All that water prolly sat in the oil pan.

talonXracer
02-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Your stock A3 cams will work perfectly.

sicivicguy
02-19-2011, 08:32 PM
SHOULD I JUST GRAB SOME STAGE 1 SKUNK2's?

talonXracer
02-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Well it would be a perfect time to add them. A EP3 swapped K24A1 with stg2 cams and the usual bolt-on's makes for a very fun car around town, lotsa grunt, totally changes the personality of the car.

Being in Cali may pose you some legal issues with the K24A1 swap.

sicivicguy
02-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Well it would be a perfect time to add them. A EP3 swapped K24A1 with stg2 cams and the usual bolt-on's makes for a very fun car around town, lotsa grunt, totally changes the personality of the car.

Being in Cali may pose you some legal issues with the K24A1 swap.

My neibors got a someone who for $150 will just give me the smog paperwork. ;-)

PLUS!... I'm not planning on going around telling people I have a swap. Gonna drive safely so as to not get any attention put on me. I also have stock exhaust with type S midpipe. The AEM V2 has the carb legal sticker as well... Most police just look for the main stuff like CAT and exhaust. If I were to switch exhaust and get caught it would be a problem cuz then I would have to take to the state ref. THAT WOULD SUCK!

sicivicguy
02-26-2011, 07:21 PM
SO GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TODAY!... I went ahead and did what my dad told me he used to do when he had engine motors seize up on him back in the day... WD-40 down the spark plug hole. IT WORKED! and the car move back and forth great now. AND!...

When I removed the Valve cover to check out the cams THE RUST CAME OFF! :meek: ... I havent started her up yet and I asked the local street mechanic (my neighbor) if this was normal and he said "yes... and when you start her up the engine will clean the rest itself..." :mcool: I'm so happy and relieved... was about to take 1000-1500 grit sand paper and try to remove just the rust. NO NEED NOW! :tehehyper:

civictype_r04
02-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Wow dude that does not look good!

sicivicguy
02-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Wow dude that does not look good!

Yeah... it didn't but it was a false alarm... I guess the place that I got the engine from told me that they do not keep the engine's intake mani closed... The engine wasn't from a water damaged car... THANK GOD!... The place assured me that the engine is in great condition. CANT WAIT TO START HER UP NEXT WEEK! :-)

civictype_r04
02-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Yeah... it didn't but it was a false alarm... I guess the place that I got the engine from told me that they do not keep the engine's intake mani closed... The engine wasn't from a water damaged car... THANK GOD!... The place assured me that the engine is in great condition. CANT WAIT TO START HER UP NEXT WEEK! :-)

Still think they should give you some money back for not tell you anything when ya bought it!

jgn6848
02-27-2011, 05:31 PM
this motor just doesnt look right.... make sure to check the compression ASAP

15000rpms
02-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Where did the rust go? Inside your engine. That's bad. Its just like if you have a tooth decay and you use some chemicals and the decay came off and you swallowed the decay. Now the decay is gone, but where did it go? Inside your body.