PDA

View Full Version : EP3R Gear 2 problem!

cvc88
02-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Are there anyone else here experience a problem with their EP3r gearbox?

Everytime i shift into gear2 it feels like its going to crunch.. and im not even giving it. Just driving normally.,

Just wondering if thats a comon problem for the ep3's

Thanks!

makavelibranded
02-17-2011, 10:49 PM
ya the ep3's in america got shitty trannys too,.. i was lucky, my reverse doesint always go into gear but thats it knock on wood

iQ...
02-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Is it always that bad? Or only with cold weather? Here it sometimes crunches in winter but in summer it works without problems. Sometimes putting new MTF helps a little bit.

smykhaisouk
02-18-2011, 06:30 AM
could be signs of a worn out CMC? around 130k i started having difficulty shifting to every single gear. everytime i shifted i felt some resistence going into gear especially 1st 2nd and reverse. eventually it stopped shifting all because i was losing pressure inside the hydraulics of the CMC. for awhile i'd have to pump the clutch a couple times to build pressure before shifting but all this went away after i swapped out a new CMC and now shifting is 90% smoother. i can still feel a presence of worn synchros but still a huge improvement after CMC replacement.

RedSiBaron
02-18-2011, 08:23 AM
ya the ep3's in america got shitty trannys too,.. i was lucky, my reverse doesint always go into gear but thats it knock on wood

The reverse is not an issue, its because of how its engineered, there's no synchro, if the gear isn't aligned just shift to another then back and it'll go in...all honda manuals do this I've ever driven back to even the 84-87 civics and crxs

As for the grind, yes its a common problem on the american 5spd transmissions that come on the k20a3

I have not heard it being a common problem on the k20a 6spd...sounds to me you may have a bad synchro...

My solution to everyone with grinds/crunches/buzzes is you should learn to drive manual better, even if its a manufacturing defect, if you properly time your shifts and don't rush or slam them, you wont get a noise...if you really know what you are doing you don't even need your clutch...

Ep3 ked
02-18-2011, 03:39 PM
ya I got mine with the 2ed gear crunch it took a while to get used to, but now I can shift into 2ed without grinding like 70% of the time. It sucks because I cant down shift into 2ed at a high rpm. I noticed if I keep the shifter as far left as possable when im goin into 2ed it drops right in.

makavelibranded
02-18-2011, 03:39 PM
The reverse is not an issue, its because of how its engineered, there's no synchro, if the gear isn't aligned just shift to another then back and it'll go in...all honda manuals do this I've ever driven back to even the 84-87 civics and crxs

we'll I used to do that but now what I do if it wont go in is slightly let the clutch out, while pulling it into reverse and it'll pop in

cvc88
02-18-2011, 04:06 PM
I usually clutch all the way down, shift then clutch off, however the gear still feels kinda hard to get in... It doesnt crunch.. well only once when i shift it real quick..

ImportCustomx
03-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Welcome to the forum..seems like everyone has been helping you out.

Please before you post, check and look at the location..this should have been posted in transmission. i have moved it for you. please be aware next time. thank you.

Passenger
03-02-2011, 12:13 PM
I usually clutch all the way down, shift then clutch off, however the gear still feels kinda hard to get in... It doesnt crunch.. well only once when i shift it real quick..

Might be a synchronizer thats shot.
Try swapping the tranny fluid out, then go from there. My tranny crunches, going from third into fourth, a lot more frequently in the summertime