PDA

View Full Version : Gauge cluster lights dimming under acceleration/braking

Polish Thug
02-18-2011, 07:25 AM
I just noticed this problem yesterday. Background info on my car... Just replaced alternator 1 month ago, battery is 3 years old? I have a HID kit but that is run with a relay harness connected to the battery. I have had the HID kit installed for 6 months and it has not given me any problems, and I have never had the dimming problem since last night. The cluster lights/interior lights even dim when the healights are off so idk if it has anything to do with the hid kit. My headlights do not dim jus the cluster lights and the interior lights when they are on. This problem only seems to happen maybe 10-15 min after driving? I checked my fuses and they are all good, I guess my next step would be to go get the alternator and the battery checked, but I want to ask on here first to see if it could be anything else.

Thanks,
Luke

Project Yellow
02-18-2011, 07:26 AM
I had a similar issue before, except my radio would also power cycle. Try checking your battery terminals, one may be slightly loose.

BeaterEP
02-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Next step would be to clean up those grounds!
One under the fuse box.
One right next to the shift cable bracket.
One by the alternator.
Two under the front bumper, one at each corner.
...and I think there's one or two more I'm forgetting.

LINK: My thread on the subject. (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?60579-Best-Way-to-Clean-Up-Electrical-Grounds)

Polish Thug
02-18-2011, 01:44 PM
I had a similar issue before, except my radio would also power cycle. Try checking your battery terminals, one may be slightly loose.

This was the problem! Thank you very much! I checked the battery first and I didn't notice that the ground on the battery was a little bit loose. I tightened everything back up and problem went away!

Thanks,
Luke