PDA

View Full Version : top hats universal?

mitchell_ep3
02-18-2011, 11:14 AM
i'm pretty sure my shock are bottoming out, from looking a pictures an how low some guys have their cars i've concluded that its not hitting my bump stops... it winter here and i moved to town so i take a different route to work that i have to cross two sets of train tracks. with it being winter, the ground has shifted making these tracks un even and unbearable, it seems to me like i'm th eonly one who has to pull over and slow down for these tracks becasue if i go quickly over them there is a harsh bang in the front end.

now i have kyb struts alla round and H&R springs(not really tucking tire anywhere), i havnt jacked the car up yet to look at the damage(too cold and i dont have garage space for -40 weather) i've done to the struts but will me buying tophats solve this problem, maybe the extra inch or so of stroke will be better for me,

and also are model specific tophats universal for other brand of struts? thanks.

27rocks
02-18-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm pretty sure buying top hats wont change one thing in the suspension besides enabling you to adjust camber (if you go that route) it will stay the same length. The only thing i see bad here are your struts and that is why you are bottoming out.

mitchell_ep3
02-18-2011, 03:28 PM
gotcha, i just thought top hats give you an extra inch or more before you hit the stuts bump stops up top

mitchell_ep3
02-19-2011, 08:48 PM
koni yellows? i want to keep the H&R springs

mitchell_ep3
02-21-2011, 09:13 PM
so i'm looking on koni's website, and the koni yellows for our cars are just insert tubes using our stock mac strut mount?

SHG_EasyE
02-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Even with an extra inch of travel if your shocks are worn or blown you will still bottom out. No sense in masking the problem, might aswell just save up and get some proper dampers for your application.

ep3jd
02-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Even with an extra inch of travel if your shocks are worn or blown you will still bottom out. No sense in masking the problem, might aswell just save up and get some proper dampers for your application.

qft

SHG_EasyE
02-22-2011, 03:53 PM
so i'm looking on koni's website, and the koni yellows for our cars are just insert tubes using our stock mac strut mount?

Yeah, the konis get installed in the oem lowers. You can keep your H&R springs with that setup.

mitchell_ep3
02-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah, the konis get installed in the oem lowers. You can keep your H&R springs with that setup.

its what was planned, hence the koni shopping i've been doing ;)

thanks SHG for the info, how come on GC's website you have to pick what shocks your using when buying springs if the koni's use the oem perch? the rears different?

SHG_EasyE
02-22-2011, 04:47 PM
you can also run GC sleeves on the konis and use a straight spring instead of the OEM springs and perches. Not sure if the shocks are different or if you can use the same shocks of both setups. I dont know much about Konis street offerings.

mitchell_ep3
02-28-2011, 08:02 PM
i might aswell replace my upper strut mounts while i'm at it... whtop hats or oem style? i am not going to be messing with the camber at all, so i dont know if top hats are for me... the koni's say they are perfect for lowered vehicles, is their cylinder shorter that oem?

mitchell_ep3
03-30-2011, 07:45 AM
Koni yellows are in the mail, next question, should I order new upper strut mounts? Do they wear out, or should they be fine

mitchell_ep3
03-30-2011, 03:06 PM
bump for ^^^^ question, i'm sure lots of people have threw in tokikos and konis... did you buy new upper strut mounts too? is it necessary?