PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter experiment and comparisons

USAF EP3
02-18-2011, 06:14 PM
So I was wondering the last few days about how good the common over the counter oil filters actually do filter and I had an idea:

Why not contribute to the EPHatch community and run a comparison for everyone to see!

I'll be willing to spend the money on my end to do an oil change at every 1,500 miles, cut in half the oil filter used at that mileage and take a picture of the filter and oil for the experiment.

So the setup I'm running right now for the experiment is as follows:

Stock K20A3 with 98020 miles
GReddy bolt on turbo kit installed at 97700

Now the oil I'll be using throughout the experiment is Castrol SYNTEC 10W-30
I'll be topping off each oil change with 5 quarts and using the following filter brands:

Bosch, Mobil 1, Purolator One, Honda, and Fram

If you would like me to test out another filter, just tell me what brand it is and I'll see if I can order it from my local Advance Auto Parts.

I've started with the Bosch Distance Plus filter and have about another 1200 miles to go.
Oil change was done when the turbo kit was installed. I'll update with pictures soon.

Tnhatch03
02-18-2011, 06:51 PM
this looks like it will be a fun experiment!

you going to be doing full synthetic or part?

i think cutting the oil filter in half would be a PITA...

whatsvtec
02-18-2011, 07:04 PM
No Amsoil, No care.
haha, But seriously, awesome idea to get some concrete evidence on quality. I'm also curious what type of oil you'll be using (full synthetic or mixed)

mitchlikesbikes
02-18-2011, 07:22 PM
i think cutting the oil filter in half would be a PITA...

if you have access to a bandsaw or something of that nature i don't think it'd be too bad. i'm in for results though:)

USAF EP3
02-18-2011, 10:01 PM
No Amsoil, No care.
haha, But seriously, awesome idea to get some concrete evidence on quality. I'm also curious what type of oil you'll be using (full synthetic or mixed)

Read my post thoroughly and you shall receive, lol.

I said I'll be using Castrol SYNTEC 10W-30

Also, this is for the majority of EPHatchers that either just want a fun DD or keep their engine running with what's available to them at their local parts store. Of course AMSOIL is God juice or whatnot, but who's going to actually shell out 100 dollars per oil change especially with a DD.

I want to see how much bang for your buck you get when you spend the cash on paper/cardboard based oil filters and if there really is a difference within brands, as far as design and filtration goes.

I do have access to a bandsaw, we have an Auto Hobby shop on base with more tools and machinery than you can imagine lol.

Mechanic
02-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Many excellent oil filter comparisons and analyses have been over the years, and they are all available with exceptional photographs on bobistheoilguy.com in the oil filter section.

USAF EP3
02-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Many excellent oil filter comparisons and analyses have been over the years, and they are all available with exceptional photographs on bobistheoilguy.com in the oil filter section.

Way to burst my bubble, lol.

I'm just joking, but I've been on that website before, tons of good information.

I really wanted to do my own somewhat mini-experiment and have it readily available to all new and maybe even old EPHatchers here.

CivicSier
03-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Check this out
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=018299964780983177537%3Azbftwoey7lw&ie=UTF-8&q=cut+open&sa=Search

CivicSier
03-14-2011, 06:47 PM
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2114272