PDA

View Full Version : Are Kpro tunes dymanic?

Drew1d
02-19-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm considering some ECU tuning.

Assumption,
The stock ECU has a base map of how the engine should run. It then takes readings on the sensors, and adjusts different elements for the optimal tune. For example, if the primary 02 sensor goes bad, it runs a "default" fuel air table based on rpm. Or in the winter, when gasoline is partly supplemented with alcohol, it adjusts again for optimal combustion.

ok.

When you run an ECU with Kpro, does it allow the ECU to run adjustments to air fuel? (like if you have some plug wear, or run winter gas) Or is it a defined table when it is tuned? So it's only set for the conditions when it was tuned last?

Does anyone else run a fuel management add-on vs. Kpro ? (piggy back computer)

I'm for some adjusted fuel mapping to better match the boltons. It would seem to me, since I'm not a swap, I would want something that alters the signal from the sensors, and still allows the ECU some room for adjustments.

AKEP
02-19-2011, 10:26 PM
From my limited knowledge of kpro, the tuning is for major adjustments, then the fuel trim is adjusted over time depending on sensors output. But it's really slow at Adjusting. It's faster to adjust the tune for winter fuel than to wait for the ecu to adjust.

Drew1d
02-21-2011, 12:22 PM
So it does adjust over time?

AKEP
02-22-2011, 12:24 AM
http://www.stealth316.com/misc/obdii_fuel_trim.pdf

Its better to tune it, then whatever you dont get tuned, the ecu will compensate, little by little, the fuel delivery. Thats about all i know.

talonXracer
02-22-2011, 05:55 AM
Yes Kpro is semi adaptive, it contains short term and long term fuel trims, ie the ECU adjusts the amount of fuel to the calibration for specific map and rpm settings and retains those adjustments in memory and constantly adjusts the fuel trim as conditions warrant. BUT this only occurs during CLOSED loop operation, open loop operates directly off of the calibration only with zero fuel trim. This is where the serious damage occurs from running Kpro without a proper tune(plug and forget) because at WOT you are running off the calibration only and if the cal is seriously lean there is no fuel trim to adjust and you fry the engine.

To adjust for the change in fuel blends(winter/summer) a simple ECU reset and idle relearn is all it takes(stock or Kpro)

piggy-backs seriously hamper reliability

Drew1d
02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Yes Kpro is semi adaptive, it contains short term and long term fuel trims, ie the ECU adjusts the amount of fuel to the calibration for specific map and rpm settings and retains those adjustments in memory and constantly adjusts the fuel trim as conditions warrant. BUT this only occurs during CLOSED loop operation, open loop operates directly off of the calibration only with zero fuel trim. This is where the serious damage occurs from running Kpro without a proper tune(plug and forget) because at WOT you are running off the calibration only and if the cal is seriously lean there is no fuel trim to adjust and you fry the engine.

To adjust for the change in fuel blends(winter/summer) a simple ECU reset and idle relearn is all it takes(stock or Kpro)

piggy-backs seriously hamper reliability

Very interesting.