PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Half-shaft popped out of my tranny. Need help asap.

doubledouble
02-20-2011, 11:29 PM
I really wished I remembered and referred to iDom's DIY thread on suspension.

I've read of people turning the axle while a friend pushes on it over and over till it pops back in. Anyone have any other tips??

It's currently sitting at a friends house until we can tackle it again; hopefully soon. To add pressure to the situation I'm starting my new job tmrw!

Here's what the boot to the tranny looks like. (mangled!)

http://imgz.us/?dm=212982703321 (http://imgz.us/?pm=212982703321)

The rotor assembly it locked into this downward postion.

http://imgz.us/?dm=1612983074306 (http://imgz.us/?pm=1612983074306)

Help!

EP3Casas
02-20-2011, 11:39 PM
just keep playing with it till it goes in.

if needed get some wood and a hammer and tap it back in.

Canuck Civic
02-20-2011, 11:57 PM
if the axle is still in the hub put a tire on it and put your shoulder into the top of the tire and push and slowly turn you will have to push pretty hard.

j0000stin
02-21-2011, 12:50 AM
i just took the wheel off and spun the axle around while pushing until it popped back in. or you can do what casas said.

i_love_my_ep3!
02-21-2011, 01:07 AM
yeah anytime u take it part they pop out ive seen people use zip ties to hold them, but what i did i lowered the car and got my legs under it and pushed up with my knees and push it in to it while wiggleing it in it takes i good 10mins but ive gotten lucky and got it in just a few tries just keep at it

tatsu666
02-21-2011, 01:35 AM
my 2 cent is...keep trying. i had the exact same problem when i was installing my coilovers. it's all luck man! but after a while u'll find out u've got a damaged CV axel, and getting a new one cost an arm.

doubledouble
02-21-2011, 09:46 AM
just keep playing with it till it goes in.

if needed get some wood and a hammer and tap it back in.

Where do you tap?

doubledouble
02-21-2011, 09:47 AM
if the axle is still in the hub put a tire on it and put your shoulder into the top of the tire and push and slowly turn you will have to push pretty hard.

The rotor assembly is locked into a downward position. It won't budge. You're saying to try and put the wheel/rim back on and use it to push?

doubledouble
02-21-2011, 09:49 AM
my 2 cent is...keep trying. i had the exact same problem when i was installing my coilovers. it's all luck man! but after a while u'll find out u've got a damaged CV axel, and getting a new one cost an arm.

How will I know if it's damaged??

doubledouble
02-21-2011, 09:54 AM
sorry. double post.

PREJDMLUDE
02-21-2011, 12:51 PM
If it wont budge then just remove from rotor and turn it till it pops in or take the chance and rip off the boot tie and align it back into place and use a boot tie to refasten it but you would have to replace if you get grease squirting everywhere once driving .

xep3tuner
02-21-2011, 04:16 PM
easy fix it didn't pop out i had this happen.. have your friend sit in the car and hold the clutch down while going through gears slowly. while he's shifting through the gears hold the rotor and move it around left to right and keep trying to straighten it out. it will take a few tries but this will work. Ive had to do this 3 to 4 times..

doubledouble
02-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Okay, trying this now.. please hold.

sicivicguy
02-21-2011, 07:09 PM
I've had this happen to me so many times now that I just say DAMMIT! Cuz it's gonna take me another 10-15 to pop back in... You just got to hit back in the right spot, at the right angle, at the right time.... ;-)

GOOD LUCK!

blue2turbo
02-22-2011, 07:17 AM
I found it helps to put a jack under the control arm and jack it up till the axle is parallel to the ground, then push on it a little while your friend rotates it. Went in a lot easier for me this way.

doubledouble
02-22-2011, 09:41 AM
easy fix it didn't pop out i had this happen.. have your friend sit in the car and hold the clutch down while going through gears slowly. while he's shifting through the gears hold the rotor and move it around left to right and keep trying to straighten it out. it will take a few tries but this will work. Ive had to do this 3 to 4 times..

Thank you to everyone who responded. Using this method :up: worked like a charm. GOT it back in, in about 10 mins. There is however a shitload of positive camber on the wheel now and it tracks to the right if I let go the wheel.

ImportCustomx
02-22-2011, 10:06 AM
this is not a how to or a DIY

i am moving this to transmission where it belongs.

Doubledouble...please be aware of where you post.

DIY are for full install and step by step guides... How to is for like tips and tricks - how to :bypass ... etc etc. or tips on installs.

On topic

what else did you touch/loosen while you were under there? tie rods? anything on the knuckle..or the lower control arm?

27rocks
02-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Thank you to everyone who responded. Using this method :up: worked like a charm. GOT it back in, in about 10 mins. There is however a shitload of positive camber on the wheel now and it tracks to the right if I let go the wheel.

If you still have lots of positive camber then its not popped all the way back in.

doubledouble
02-22-2011, 10:42 PM
If you still have lots of positive camber then its not popped all the way back in.

Oh no. I drove home like that. And I drove to work and the supermarket. Everything is torqued back into place. I thought it might be the camber bolts being a little out of wack??

doubledouble
02-22-2011, 10:47 PM
this is not a how to or a DIY

i am moving this to transmission where it belongs.

Doubledouble...please be aware of where you post.

DIY are for full install and step by step guides... How to is for like tips and tricks - how to :bypass ... etc etc. or tips on installs.

On topic

what else did you touch/loosen while you were under there? tie rods? anything on the knuckle..or the lower control arm?

Sorry about that, I'm still figuring out this site, where things go and terminology.

I loosened then retightened the bolt that goes to the tie rod. Loosened the the two lines leading to the rotor assembly, the two big bolts that hold the strut in place and of course the top three bolts that hold the strut body on top in the engine bay.

I have since re-tighten/torqued everything.

blue2turbo
02-23-2011, 02:13 PM
what exactly did you install?? coilovers? Springs?

doubledouble
02-23-2011, 02:51 PM
what exactly did you install?? coilovers? Springs?

Springs and newer struts.