PDA

View Full Version : Electric Power Steering

importhonda
12-20-2002, 09:43 PM
What exactly is the benifit for having this?
I assumed it took pressure away from the engine having to turn a hydrolic pump, but I notice that when I turn my Idle goes higher. Is this due to the electric drain the pump puts on the battery? or is there some part of the engine that contributes to the steering?

Thanks

IceD out N CALI
12-21-2002, 01:50 AM
it gives us more usable power. it doesnt use a belt to tax the engine like power steering does or the A/C jus takes it from the electrical system:)

importhonda
12-21-2002, 02:56 AM
So like I was saying, is the raise in idle from the electrical strain?

Also what is in place of the power steering pump?

Dallas2k2Si
12-21-2002, 08:29 AM
There is an electric motor in place of the p/s pump. Yes, at low rpm it does pull power, hence the raised idle. IMO, it gives a better feel than a hydraulic unit. If you look behind the stock airbox, it sits upright above and slightly behing the steering rack.

BlasTech
12-21-2002, 11:56 AM
Theres was japanese diagram of it on TOVA once, but I cant find it now.

Here's a VERY simplified description:

Imagine a straight rod connecting the two kingpins...in the middle, the rod is threaded like a screw...put a high-performance electric motor with varialble speed on a gear with its teeth mated to the screw threads...the motor spins--> the rod moves laterally...the EPS was first only on the NSX, then later on the Si, and maybe the S2000.

myeverlovinsir
12-21-2002, 04:02 PM
Good to know the NSX is contributing to our engine p/s and that we would have more of struggle to make that power up somehow if it was not there. Good for the Si(R)!:p

myeverlovinsir
12-21-2002, 04:07 PM
One thing that was mentioned that I would like to see added to is eliminating the waterpump as an added engine load. Instead make it electric. Sounds like a sweet deal.