PDA

View Full Version : shocks or coilovers?

muska104
02-25-2011, 04:49 AM
hey jus wanted to see what u guys would do...i have tein s tech springs on the oem shocks..i dont know if i should jus get tokico dspec shocks(save $) or spend $ and upgrade to full coilover set...what are ya thoughts?

cloumep3
02-25-2011, 08:44 AM
What are you planning to do? DD? Track? Drag? Also, what's your budget? What you pay is what you get. You can find good quality coilvers for around $1k brand new and some used ones in mint condition for little less. For your reference, I bought my brand new Koni/GC combo for $820 ish about a year ago (w/o top hat, so I used my OEM ones). If you can DIY the install, you'd be saving money to begin with. GL!

muska104
02-25-2011, 08:57 AM
dd..i need to get to and from work while havin fun..i'm tryin to stick to a low budget(no more than 700)...one day when things are goin well i would like to turn it into a track car but as for now jus good handling...now that i'm thinkin bout it jus upgraded shocks mite b good...haha

cloumep3
02-25-2011, 09:05 AM
dd..i need to get to and from work while havin fun..i'm tryin to stick to a low budget(no more than 700)...one day when things are goin well i would like to turn it into a track car but as for now jus good handling...now that i'm thinkin bout it jus upgraded shocks mite b good...haha

I'd go with Koni Yellows. They are ride adjustable, so you could set them to your preference and when you do have more budget for upgrade, you can just swap out your current springs with Ground Control set up. Also, for a budget set up, I've heard KYB struts aren't that bad at all.

kale's blue ep3
02-26-2011, 05:03 PM
What are you planning to do? DD? Track? Drag? Also, what's your budget? What you pay is what you get. You can find good quality coilvers for around $1k brand new and some used ones in mint condition for little less. For your reference, I bought my brand new Koni/GC combo for $820 ish about a year ago (w/o top hat, so I used my OEM ones). If you can DIY the install, you'd be saving money to begin with. GL!

how low do the Gc and koni yellows go?

cloumep3
02-26-2011, 06:39 PM
how low do the Gc and koni yellows go?

Well, I know it goes to 2" for sure. I lowered it down to 2" when they were installed, but I had some more room to go lower, may be 2.5 - 2.7" or so...
The Koni's are non-clicking, continuous ride adjustable. I usually adjust them with 1/4 turn increments.

Tnhatch03
02-26-2011, 06:40 PM
coilovers...

civictype_r04
02-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Coilovers!

kale's blue ep3
02-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Well, I know it goes to 2" for sure. I lowered it down to 2" when they were installed, but I had some more room to go lower, may be 2.5 - 2.7" or so...
The Koni's are non-clicking, continuous ride adjustable. I usually adjust them with 1/4 turn increments.

what do you mean by non clicking?

PatrickJamesYu
02-26-2011, 07:45 PM
what do you mean by non clicking?

The dampening adjustments for Koni Yellows don't click like most coilover/ dampenders
Basically turn the dial to the left and it gets firmer, and turn it to the right it get's softer.
They don't click to tell you what "level" it is at. You just have to keep in mind how much you're turning the adjustment dial.

kale's blue ep3
02-26-2011, 07:47 PM
The dampening adjustments for Koni Yellows don't click like most coilover/ dampenders
Basically turn the dial to the left and it gets firmer, and turn it to the right it get's softer.
They don't click to tell you what "level" it is at. You just have to keep in mind how much you're turning the adjustment dial.

http://www.clubrsx.com/clubep3/KON-8641-1416.html

are these the correct koni yellows?

PatrickJamesYu
02-26-2011, 07:53 PM
http://www.clubrsx.com/clubep3/KON-8641-1416.html

are these the correct koni yellows?
Yes they are
It says they are.
Also when ordering for ClubRSX/ep3, I believe they ask you what car it is for, which is nice as it is to insure you're ordering he right product.

As far as the how low GC's and Koni's go
I think the lowest ep a while back was on Koni's and GC's.
Then it was like Progress, than D2, I think.
Most can go just as low as you need it.
I'm on Koni and GC, I can easily dump my car. I currently can't go any lower, my wheel fitment won't let me.

kale's blue ep3
02-26-2011, 08:07 PM
thanks i was just wondering because usually struts have different versions like kyb has gr-2's and agx's. So koni yellow only has 1 version?

cloumep3
02-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Also, if you wanna be sure, just call'em up and ask your question. From my past experiences with them, very informative and professional people. They take time to answer your questions and the shipping is super fast!

PatrickJamesYu
02-26-2011, 10:57 PM
thanks i was just wondering because usually struts have different versions like kyb has gr-2's and agx's. So koni yellow only has 1 version?

Yeah KONI is the brand
Yellow is more of a nickname given to it, to identify it out of Koni's 3 different shock series.

muska104
02-27-2011, 10:32 PM
so seems like kony yellows are the way to go! now what about changin my mounts to aftermarket pillowballs?? any inputs? cuz then i would b ridin koni shocks with tein springs and hope fully mounts

Zzyzx
03-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Koni's are one way to go. And don't get me wrong they are great dampers. However given your intended use I'd be seriously looking at a set of Bilsteins.

Easier to install and just as good of a damper, with out the potential pitfall of adjusters.

lemonhead228
03-02-2011, 12:05 AM
I rather get coils cuz you can adjust your ride height however you feel.

Im thinkin bout getting rid of my mugen shocks/ tien s springs for a set of coils but I don't kno which one to get lol.

NyCSnEaK
03-03-2011, 04:52 AM
I would be hesistant to install Bilstein or Koni labled shocks for the EP3. I know the Bilsteins are the same for the EP3 and 01-05 civics. Meaning that they are valved for the pedestrian civics and would be a compromise on our cars. The Koni's I believe are labeled similarly, but I hope a user can chime in? I was in a similar debate and after doing some research, went with Koni's designed for the DC5. Waiting for the weather to warm to install and will post a review accordingly. I hope you find the combo your looking for.

Edit: I called Koni today for some information. EP3 & DC5 fronts are identical, while the rears are different. part # 8010-1050SPORT (DC5) and part #: 8041-1281SPORT (EP3). Has me thinking that the EP3 specific Koni is meant for the lower models suspensions.