PDA

View Full Version : Help with throttle body install

xep3tuner
02-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Okay so i installed a 72mm throttle body today. Got everything hooked up. I turn on my car it revs up to 2000 - 2500rpm then 2 or 3 seconds later settles down to 1000 and starts idle from 1000 to 2000 constant. Any ideas what can be causing this?? Also if i tighten my tps sensor too much it causes my car to rev up to 3000 and stay at that rpm..

talonXracer
02-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Vacuum leak, it can be from a leaky gasket, etc or a faulty/dirty IACV.

japarossa
02-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Sounds like IAC is stuck follow the DIY for cleaning it and you should be ok. Do you have kpro? If not that is your main problem.

xep3tuner
02-28-2011, 10:14 PM
since when does kpro tell you if your iacv is stuck or if you have a vacuum leak lol

japarossa
03-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Well you probably have a stuck IACV but more than that you need to calibrate that throttle position sensor and kpro makes that easier to do. You said when you tighten the TPS down you idle at 3000 rpm's well that shows that it isn't calibrated properly. If you had kpro you could read the voltages at idle/wot and make adjustments. What are your voltages at wot and idle?

talonXracer
03-01-2011, 06:36 AM
You said when you tighten the TPS down you idle at 3000 rpm's well that shows that it isn't calibrated properly.

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

When the TPS is tightened down and there is ANY changes etc the TPS is being damaged because it is TOO TIGHT. The usual culprits are incorrectly machined TPS drivedogs on the TB mainshaft, or a missing TPS gasket etc. You can correct this by adding extra gaskets or taking a file to the drivedog. Several aftermarket TB's are notorious for this especially the lower end stuff. It is highly probable that you have permanently damaged the TPS.

You will need kpro to properly tune the engine

The 72mm TB is rather large, a stock or even bolton equipped A3 will have issues with such a large TB.

japarossa
03-01-2011, 06:45 AM
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

When the TPS is tightened down and there is ANY changes etc the TPS is being damaged because it is TOO TIGHT. The usual culprits are incorrctly machined TPS drivedogs on the TB mainshaft, or a missing TPS gasket etc. You can correct this by adding extra gaskets or taking a file to the drivedog. Several aftermarket TB's are notorious for this especially the lower end stuff.

You will need kpro to properly tune the engine

The 72mm TB is rather large, a stock or even bolton equipped A3 will have issues with such a large TB.

How can you say that the tps drivedogs are incorrectly machined on this TB when you don't know what brand it is? I have swapped a TPS on a cheapy ebay TB and never had to make any changes to the drivedogs. Like I said you need kpro to tune the car with the larger TB and you need to calibrate the TPS.

talonXracer
03-01-2011, 06:56 AM
How can you say that the tps drivedogs are incorrectly machined on this TB when you don't know what brand it is? I have swapped a TPS on a cheapy ebay TB and never had to make any changes to the drivedogs.

By the very fact that when the TPS is being tightend down it jumps and stays at 3K rpm's. I have had at least a dozen TB's pass through my paws and only the HR and stockies did NOT have the drivedogs machined to long, hell it doesnt even have to jamb the TB to be too long, the drivedogs only have to apply ANY pressure to the internal board and the readings are skewed. If the TPS does not sit fully flush BEFORE the gasket is added the drivedogs are too long!

xep3tuner
03-08-2011, 02:26 PM
yeah that would explain it, i had it seated on the tb w/o a gasket so that's what was causing the idle. Best i could get it to sit at was 2500 rpm. I ordered a new throttle body with all the sensor pre mounted hopefully this fixes it :/

sicivicguy
03-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Yeah.... I would say bad TPS... You could have just gone with the Hybrid racing one... But as for the IACV... Just turn it off on your K-Pro.... Thats what I did and the EP idles great now.