PDA

View Full Version : cv axle removal/install

tlikethedrink
02-28-2011, 07:56 PM
so im replacing the passanger side axle. trying anyways. i have two issues.

first i cant get the old one out. just doesnt budge. is there a snap ring or something im missing?

the other is, when i get the old one out, how should i put it in? just push it in as far back as it goes and squeeze it in the knuckle? or should i remove the knuckle completely? i tried to take it off completely already. i cant get the lower ball joint out tho. so i was hoping to avoid this...

advice? anyone run into this?

tlikethedrink
02-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Well, just invade anyone is following or runs into this same issue... I ended up pulling the half shaft out of the tranny. Just undid the 3 bolts to the heat shield, 3 to the bearing from the half shaft to cv joint, and gently pulled it out. The male end that goes into the cv has a type of spring/snap ring. What I ended up having to to was have someone hit the cv with an extension and a hammer while I wiggled what was left of the cv joint. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to finish up the install... I'm still trying to get the lower ball joint out. May try and work it in without having to remove the entire knuckle

AKEP
03-01-2011, 02:01 AM
i couldn't get my half shaft apart, i ended up taking the whole thing out after i poped the ball joint. be careful with it. get a nut from the hardware store that fits like the castle nut so you dont destroy either if you have to bang on it or press on it. i destroyed my passenger side knuckle eventually because everything was basically seized up. i picked up another one for about $130 this morning cause i cant wait for a $50 ebay junkyard one.

good luck

tlikethedrink
03-01-2011, 06:42 AM
thanks for the heads up.

i think ill just try and work around the knuckle being in place. if i can get the cv in far back enough and the knuckle pulled front enough, i can get the bending i need from the cv with out popping it out.

have to wait till after work to start again tho. i need an extra set of hands to hold the cv in.

tlikethedrink
03-01-2011, 09:01 PM
so we pushed the axle in the half shaft, i held it in straight with one hand on close to the joint and the other on the shaft close to the boot. i held it in place while my cousin worked the front in the knuckle... i have to say it was pretty easy lol. considering what the past two evenings have been like, im thinking today was a breeze. thank god!