PDA

View Full Version : 2.25" mid-pipe installed...

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
12-21-2002, 12:41 PM
just had a 2.25" mid-pipe fabricated, no resonator...
everything else is completely stock...
sounds nice!
not too loud, but gives a nice, distinct, deep exhaust note under acceleration...
Nice mod for $90...

No fart cans for me...

02blksi
12-21-2002, 12:45 PM
congrats.

jo3y
12-21-2002, 12:53 PM
I want to get the 2.25 midpipe mod done. In relation to the exaust system where does the mod start and where does it end? you say it elimanates the resanators? I am going to have a shop do it and just wanted to know exactly what should be replaced before i start having them cut & chop. Any help is appricated :)

~joey

myeverlovinsir
12-21-2002, 01:29 PM
Here are some pics Jo3y. ;)

midpipe install (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3769&highlight=midpipe)

jo3y
12-21-2002, 01:45 PM
cool thanks for the info, thats going to be my next performance oriented mod. What is the point of the resonator anyway? just to quiet down the exaust more?

I heard the new SRT-4 neon has no mufflers and 2 resonators.

IceD out N CALI
12-21-2002, 01:51 PM
cool

myeverlovinsir
12-21-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by jo3y
cool thanks for the info, thats going to be my next performance oriented mod. What is the point of the resonator anyway? just to quiet down the exaust more?

I heard the new SRT-4 neon has no mufflers and 2 resonators.

No probs.

Trivia: How is BMW able to control its throttle response and obtain idle without a buterfly in the TB nor a throttle cable?

oh, and the resonator is just a sound modifier, what use to be only a muffler. They tend to restrict flow more than the stock muffler on our rides. 1-3/8" vs 2" in the muffler. hth

greenguy
12-21-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir

Trivia: How is BMW able to control its throttle response and obtain idle without a buterfly in the TB nor a throttle cable?

Wasnt there an article in SCC aboot this? They talked about valves and really complicated "vanos" controll.

ep3guy
12-21-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
sounds nice!
not too loud, but gives a nice, distinct, deep exhaust note under acceleration...
Nice mod for $90...

No fart cans for me...

Do you have any sound clips? I'm wondering what it sounds liek without the resonator. Thanks.

ep3guy
12-21-2002, 10:48 PM
Nevermind sorry, just found the sticky on the sound clips.

Suk02Si
12-21-2002, 11:17 PM
so how does the car feel with just the midpipe? any better or no difference?

jo3y
12-22-2002, 12:04 AM
I just worked with my friend who has an SVT contour with a bigger midpipe and no resonators. He said its great once the car is warmed but if the exaust is cold is sounds all raspy. I dont know if thats a v6 thing or just because it gets damn cold here. From the sound clip it sounds good though

ep3guy
12-22-2002, 12:07 AM
How much louder is the midpipe without the resonator? I'm also wondering if it is legal to run without one. Thanks

ssvr6
12-22-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
sounds nice!
Nice mod for $90...

No fart cans for me...

Is it mandrel bent or crush?

Steve

Suk02Si
12-22-2002, 03:49 AM
yeah I did notice the raspiness whe nthe car is cold; also at very low rpm.

chunky
12-22-2002, 08:32 AM

No probs.

oh, and the resonator is just a sound modifier, what use to be only a muffler. They tend to restrict flow more than the stock muffler on our rides. 1-3/8" vs 2" in the muffler. hth

their new valvetronic system. infinitely variable lift. all throttling is controlled by the valves. reduces pumping losses through the TB, and increases engine response. Currently this system is only availible on the v8 engine found in the new 7 series.

myeverlovinsir
12-22-2002, 08:58 AM
bingo, chunky. Wonder how long before this tech. makes it into the mainstream? BMW developed this on their track cars first. Nice to see it evolving to street use. It also uses a "fly by wire" concept that apparently is hard for most to feel comfortable with. Planes like the Airbus have been using this technology for years where BMW started intelligent valve motor control.

chunky
12-22-2002, 11:06 PM
bingo, chunky. Wonder how long before this tech. makes it into the mainstream? BMW developed this on their track cars first. Nice to see it evolving to street use. It also uses a "fly by wire" concept that apparently is hard for most to feel comfortable with. Planes like the Airbus have been using this technology for years where BMW started intelligent valve motor control.

I should have clarified to state that valvetonic is only present in the U.S. on the 7-series v8 motor. In europe, the 318 has a valvetronic equipped four cylinder motor.

myeverlovinsir
12-23-2002, 06:06 AM
Acutally us lowly Canadians also have it as well on the 7 series V8. Sat in one a couple of months ago. Hell of a luxury car. Think it was near 130k on the road. :eek: