PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about upgrading to a EP3 from a EG hatch.

F2D Hess
03-04-2011, 04:38 PM
I own a 94 civic cx with a JDM b16a. I absolutely love my car. Only things I don't like about my car is obviously its old and needs a little restoring, no power options and on long drives it gets a little uncomfortable. It's in pretty good condition for being a 17yr old car its just not practical for a daily driver. I love how the ep3's look and from what I've read their pretty comfortable inside. I know a lot of ppl hate on the motor because its slow. I don't mind anymore,I'm getting old and don't really care for high horsepower. I have herd that the suspension set up sucks compared to the double wish bone set up. I like being somewhat low and herd ep3's can't handle being too low. Is this true? Are you happy with your ep3? Pros and cons?

I just want to make sure I wont have any regrets. Thanks in advance.

SkareKrow
03-08-2011, 10:29 PM
I <3 My ep3 ;)

bluebullitt2003
03-08-2011, 10:34 PM
i love my ep, ya its slow but who cares. I lowerd my car on skunk2 springs and i will have to admit it does ride like a tank now, and every pothole i hit i feel like someone just shot at my car. overall the car is a great daily car. the only part im not happy with is taking it on long trips. I am a big fishermen, and when i drive 3 hours to the river i like to fish in my ep, i feel like my someone just stabed and twisted a knife in my back. If you are going to daily drive the car around town, you wont be disapointed.

Tokin_Buds
03-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Hopefully you all can add to my list. .

Pros:
The leather steering wheel is made by MOMO and has nice soft supple leather.

The seats are directly from the Euro Type-R's and I think they're just awesome, they hold you in when you want to have fun and they're comfortable to sit in..

Cons: You will get "DUSTED" by pretty much every car you encounter with your K20A3, pretty embarrassing even if you dont care about speed, the Honda Odyssey has a better 0-60 than our cars and probably gets better mpg's since we only have 5 gears and they're all very short.

Other than that, I dont have much bad things to say about the EP3, Ive never regretted buying it, I just regret not doing a motor swap sooner.

Rictorious88
03-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Hopefully you all can add to my list. .

Pros:
The leather steering wheel is made by MOMO and has nice soft supple leather.

The seats are directly from the Euro Type-R's and I think they're just awesome, they hold you in when you want to have fun and they're comfortable to sit in..

Cons: You will get "DUSTED" by pretty much every car you encounter with your K20A3, pretty embarrassing even if you dont care about speed, the Honda Odyssey has a better 0-60 than our cars and probably gets better mpg's since we only have 5 gears and they're all very short.

Other than that, I dont have much bad things to say about the EP3, Ive never regretted buying it, I just regret not doing a motor swap sooner.

ha... you said supple...

mugen03
03-09-2011, 09:33 AM
i went from an ef to eg to an ep3. i personally love the ep over all. used parts are more money then parts for the egs. i think your going to want to get more power out of her honestly going from a b16 eg to an economy civic. think of it as going from a 99 si coupe to a hx coupe lol... just throw in a swap with some basic bolt ons and you will be happy. im swapped with bolt ons an when you take an eg an they look at you like wtf just happened its a good feeling haha

Jukka
03-09-2011, 10:21 AM
I love my ep. First Honda I ever owned and want to keep it as long as I can. Tons of interior space, comfortable seats (front and rear), decent amount of headroom, modding options are pretty good (can buy alot of off the shelf stuff for it), motor swap options are good, rides comfrotable. I'm lowered on H&R springs with a full hyperflex kit installed, and I will say the cars a bit bouncy/stiff, but its still comfortable.

As for not being able to lower it too much, you can slam your ep, but it will take either roll center adjusters, extended ball joints, or a steering rack relocation bracket.

BUT, as stated before, with the stock K20A3, its slow.

nmysiismyn
03-09-2011, 10:22 AM
:welcome: An EG owner who likes the way the EP looks? :meek:

:tehe:

CLIFFNOTES:
-7 year owner
-LOVE that it's rare
-Don't mind at all that it's hated on by other Honda owners
-Get's around just fine

I've owned mine for over 7 years... What I love most about my EP is the rarity. Flat-out! I get compliments on my car everywhere I go- except from a lot of EG, EK, DC owners. LOL :tehehyper: I prefer it that way. :mtongue:

Maybe I'm old, but with nothing but an AEM CAI and a welded on Magnaflow Exhaust, I think she moves around great! Maybe there's not too many ricers in my area... Maybe she's a but quicker than most stock-ish ones from smashing on it it's whole life (for the most part)... Maybe it's because I've never owned a higher HP car, but I hasn't no problem bearing most cars and fitting in traffic where I need to. :shrug:

boricua4life
03-09-2011, 10:42 AM
ive had my ep for 3yrs now and honestly have no regrets. as stated before many mod options, get your self a good pair of coilovers and it should ride good with out problems. ive taken the car from georgia to miami and rides excellent. no problems here. just take good care of her and she will take care of you:)

ep3jd
03-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Eg is beater material. Ep3 ftw

ImportCustomx
03-10-2011, 01:50 PM
i love the fact people ask me about the car all time. its the last year honda made the si hatch back

DRP967
03-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Coming from a 1997 Acura Integra GSR, the EP3 is a great upgrade for the most part. Now I know you have an EG but your chassis and mine is the typical "Honda-Tech" car if you can relate. I must say I do prefer the low seating position and roofline of the older Hondas ie. EGs/EKs/DCs/etc. The EP3 has a higher seating position and roofline compared to the older chassis so if your into rolling low or slammed...you wont quite achieve that street sweeper look. We all know the EP3 has the economy vtec motor and its kinda disappointing compared to the other Hondas that have performance vtec. But other than the powerplant which can be swapped down the road, the EP3 is lovely. Here are my pros and cons for the EP3:

Pros:

1. Not your typical Civic, pretty rare to see another one on the road in the sea of RSXs, 06+ Civic Si sedans and coupes, and the older Hondas. This is Honda's red headed step child.

2. Sporty bullet design, minivan, whatever....you either hate the body style or love it. I for one love the design.

3. The dash mounted rally inspired shifter...one of the most unique features of the EP3. I get complements/questions on my dildo shifter all the time. Just throw on a countersunk ball style shiftknob ie. T1R/SSR and you are in shifting bliss...it just feels right. Oh and its a good design if you like getting road head.

4. Interior is wonderful, the race inspired seats, steering wheel, its very Type R ish with the red stitching and all.

5. Unlike the other Hondas...I dont believe the EP3 is a theft magnet. Wish i could say the same for the GSRs/EM1s/EGs/EKs/etc.

Cons:

1. K20A3 motor is a dog...but if you can get past that then its wonderful for saving mula at the pump. 87 octane all day baby.

2. Mcstrut suspension design...doesnt handle as good as my Integra with the double wishbone but it will do. With the right upgrades and parts, the EP3 is a contender no doubt.

Pronto
03-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Pros:
3. The dash mounted rally inspired shifter...one of the most unique features of the EP3. I get complements/questions on my dildo shifter all the time. Just throw on a countersunk ball style shiftknob ie. T1R/SSR and you are in shifting bliss...it just feels right. Oh and its a good design if you like getting road head.

HAHAHAHAHA never thought of it that way.... but it makes so much sense!

EP3s are great! Hatch=lots of room when you need it and a great interior.
I don't mind the A3, I never owned very fast cars in the past, and I'm not really chasing high HP, so its perfect as a daily driver.
As mentioned they are pretty rare, so it feels as if you're driving something different, maybe even exotic (depending where you're from).

rufiogeezee
03-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Pros:

number 3 sums it up for me, and was almost the first thing I thought of after getting this car. May be too much info, but road head in this car definitely works. :thumbu:

POOPTOOTH
03-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Being a car guy/honda guy for a while, the EP has been treated me well over the years. I'm a little older now myself and feel as though its a nice balance of being able to "scratch the car mod itch" and being a nice, acceptable DD without being type-cast as a 16 year-old ricer. In stock form its pretty boring, however just a few simple mods can turn the EP into a really fun and attractive car.

I say do it, you'll fall head over heels like the rest of us goobers.

F2D Hess
03-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks for your input everyone! i really appriciate everyone pointing out the pro's, cons and your overall thoughts about your ep3. Since i made this thread ive been on the look out for a EP3. If i could i would love to trade my EG for a nice stock 04 or 05 ep3 (since i couldnt sell my EG after months of trying). Im going to stay on the look out and keep you guys updated if anything good comes along. Once again thanks for everyones input.

nmysiismyn
03-14-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm glad you said 04-05. You'll have to swap to get 5-lugs on an 02-03. It's not crazy expensive, but you'd be saving yourself from an additional part swap...
GLWTP!

F2D Hess
04-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Thanks guys, if anyone wants to trade their stock ep3 for a bad ass eg hatch lmk!

Tnhatch03
04-06-2011, 04:31 PM
ill buy your motor!!!

MugenReplica
04-06-2011, 05:00 PM
ill buy your motor!!!

http://www.property-in-the-sun.com/images/Blog/oct_2005_blog/griffon_vulture_4.jpg

Tnhatch03
04-06-2011, 07:05 PM
you know me too well!!

haha...

02ssmEP3
04-06-2011, 07:22 PM
i have to say, the ep isnt all that slow. sure your gonna lose to about everything off the line, but ive gotten it to 130 (bone stock), which is faster than my friend can get his 225 hp audi tt goin. i think u should get one. its one of the most fun cars ive ever driven--even stock.

F2D Hess
06-04-2011, 04:06 AM
Update!:
well I'm close to selling my EG hatch. I have my eyes on 2 bone stock grey/silver 04 SI's. One of them has 74k miles the other has 55k I think.Hopefully everything works out. I'll keep you guys updated.

McLovin
06-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Update!:
well I'm close to selling my EG hatch. I have my eyes on 2 bone stock grey/silver 04 SI's. One of them has 74k miles the other has 55k I think.Hopefully everything works out. I'll keep you guys updated.
Good luck man your going to love the ep3

F2D Hess
06-15-2011, 03:24 AM
Unfortunatly i lose again, No EP3 for me yet :(

showoff3civic
06-16-2011, 09:03 AM
you will love the ep3. When I went from my 94 coupe to the ep3 I was in pure love. Now after 30k in mods it just sits in the garage :-(

lemonhead228
06-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Eps are the shiet!! I slap on some mugen ss suspension an it man, it handles like a dream. The ride is stiff like how I want it. Dd is great. The body style is perfect! (: you wouldn't see it driving around often unlike them tc lol

F2D Hess
12-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Ill take a second to update this thread since i havent in a while.

Well still no EP3 for me. I love my current hatch but it seems very hard to sell it or find a trade for a 04-05 EP3. Im going to try and sell my car again this winter and continue the search for a nice EP3.

Jo7man4
12-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Good luck keep searching.....

Ba82Ep3
12-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Why is the hatch so hard to sell? I would kill for a decent bubble...

F2D Hess
12-02-2011, 04:31 AM
Why is the hatch so hard to sell? I would kill for a decent bubble...

Im kinda asking a lot, but well worth it in my opinion. The car is extremely clean with lots of quality parts. Tons of OEM/JDM goodies, Evo Regamaster wheels etc etc....

Ba82Ep3
12-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Ah... roger that. Nowadays it seems best to part out. Time consuming for sure... but seems to be the way to move a car and still make some of your $$$ back on the mods.

If you get a 4 lug EP your wheels should swap over...

I had a lock on a 93 shell in VA but the guy bailed on me. Then hit me up two weeks ago asking if i wanted to buy it again. :mrolleyes:

F2D Hess
12-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Yeah your probably right. I just hate seeing such a nice car that i love and enjoy being ripped apart like that. Thats probably the best way to go though.

AttarixEp
12-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Ep3's just need love. That's why no one wants them. But a well built clean ep3 is the sexiest hatch out there

StockTexasEP3
12-02-2011, 10:51 AM
EPs have a lot of space. I took out the spare and the trunk liner and can fit two 100+ plus pound dogs in the back. And th stock engine and tranny are good for zipping around town. Just don't expect to win races.

ginger
12-03-2011, 03:54 AM
i love my ep3, since minute one of owning it. now im 25k+ in mods and over 400whp. daily drive it, and love to drive it just like my first test drive. altho i put bride seats in it, i still throw the stock seats in it for road trips since there so cumfy... and you can defiantly get an ep3 really low, i do for shows only. use to be slammed (tucked 15's). actually, i cant kick a crushed soda can under mine right now. im prepped for h.i.n. los angelos in 12 hours...

migferio
12-03-2011, 07:17 AM
i went from a b16a ek hatch to an 03 ep3 hatch and let me tell you its the best thing i could of done - i finally feel like an adult .. as far as suspension go with the hfp kit - just installed mine and it rides like a dream.... no regrets whatsoever in my book

Kibble Fat
12-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I can fit 6 mountain bikes in the back. That and it's more peppy than a Camry.

Well, at least an older Camry

F2D Hess
12-08-2011, 04:43 AM
Thanks for your input guys. Well i have a potential buyer coming this weeked to check out and possibly buy my EG hatch. I already have a 04 NHBP SI lined up. I hope everything works out. Ill keep you guys updated
:dance:

F2D Hess
12-10-2011, 03:57 PM
So I think the EG will officially be sold next weekend.

tlikethedrink
12-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Good luck with sale.
My Ep was my first Honda too. I was a Dsm guy for a long time... Had 3. I woulda jumped into Hondas sooner if I could do it all over again.
It's decent with boltons, unless your actually "racing" I would say its quick enough. Even then I would say its not a bad platform.
I would try to find a hfp one if I was you- the lip kit is the cleanest + wing... And it would have the suspension already.

F2D Hess
02-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Update: So my EG didnt sell back in December. I have a potential buyer coming this weekend that may pick it up. I still would like to pick up a EP3 but im kinda going through some things right now that might make me hold off for a little while untill im ready. Ill keep you guys updated.

Ba82Ep3
02-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Dont push it man... the right one will come to you at the right time. ;)

F2D Hess
02-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Well after about a year and two months, I finally sold my EG hatch! I'm currently looking at a silver 2004 Civic SI with 55k miles. Ill keep you guys updated tomm what happens.

tlikethedrink
02-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Whats the word?
Update?

Kerby
02-17-2012, 05:12 AM
that's awesome man! If you want I'll give you a ride in mine so you get the k24 itch.
You gonna be at a HONE meet?