PDA

View Full Version : header suggestions.....

abstract
03-06-2011, 11:00 AM
i still want a hiflow cat so a race header is out the question BUT im looking for the highest flowing header going to the cat

ty

T_Virus
03-07-2011, 01:21 PM
If it is just a shorty header, you can go with any one of them. There wouldn't be a huge difference anways besides the temperature.

BTW I dynoed 153whp with Injen SP1576 CAI, Comptech shorty stainless steel header and HKS Hi-Power Exhaust. This is with my stock cat.

So with a high-flow cat, I would probably think there would be a gain of +3 HP give or take on my set up.

whatsvtec
03-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Keep it stock if you're going to throw a CAT on there. I regret buying my shorty.

abstract
03-07-2011, 01:36 PM
why is that?? looking to get a cheep megan shorty n random tech hiflow cat

im looking for a quiet 3' catback also but no luck in the search

T_Virus
03-07-2011, 01:51 PM
if this is on a k20a3, then there is no need to get a 3 inch catback with a shorty header and high flow cat.

T_Virus
03-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Keep it stock if you're going to throw a CAT on there. I regret buying my shorty.

If I was in another state too then I would regret as well but since I'm in California, I don't regret at all due to emissions.

EPSU3
03-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Why not get an OBX RH and have a car sound hi flow welded in? I have a DC shorty to a stock cat and I noticed nearly no difference at all. OBX plus cat and labor would be around $400. Double the cost of a megan header but close to a DC or comptech with superior performance.

abstract
03-07-2011, 08:18 PM
if this is on a k20a3, then there is no need to get a 3 inch catback with a shorty header and high flow cat.

i plan on a k24 or k20a2 tuned

whatsvtec
03-07-2011, 08:36 PM
If I was in another state too then I would regret as well but since I'm in California, I don't regret at all due to emissions.

Emissions would be changed because of as shorty replacement?
I thought you kept the stock cat pipe

T_Virus
03-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Emissions would be changed because of as shorty replacement?
I thought you kept the stock cat pipe

Well, it depends. Some places wouldn't even smog your car if you have an after market shorty header with out the CARB EO#.

but you are right about emissions, the main thing is the stock cat. I know some people who couldn't even pass smog with a high flow cat and bolt ons...lol...

I passed smog with Injen cai (has a carb sticker), comptech shorty header (has a carb eo #) and Hks hi-power on a stock cat.

whatsvtec
03-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Sorry I said that wrong, not emissions but the the PoPos...About some years ago there was a state grant to train police, sherrifs, etc on how to spot aftermarket parts and if they didn't have a carb number, there was serious trouble.

but you are right about emissions, as long as you have a stock cat then you are good. I passed smog with Injen cai (has a carb sticker), comptech shorty header (has a carb eo #) and Hks hi-power.

Haha, yeah I'm a little worried about the PO's this year with my TP+ebay exhaust combo

abstract
03-08-2011, 03:04 AM
will vibrant catted race header fit the ep3 and will i have problems with the front sway?

cronicEP
03-08-2011, 06:25 AM
go with DC5 type R exhaust set up...lol

T_Virus
03-08-2011, 12:58 PM
go with DC5 type R exhaust set up...lol

he wants a header not exhaust.

Deadphishy
03-08-2011, 02:14 PM
I would go talk to the shop where you plan on getting the car tested. Tell them what you want to do and if they will test your car that way.

SHorty header = waste of money and time.

EDIT: I don't know where the CARB part came up, But since you live in NY, i don't think the same rules apply. Don't really know the system the NY has.

You should be looking at getting a RH and having a High flow cat welded in. By law if your car's emissions system is out of warranty 80k+ miles, then they can not force you to get an OEM part. If someone makes a high flow cat that is proven to pass emission, However good luck if it needs to be CARB. Carb will not allow anything Performance or "high flow" so if you want your car to be carb legal then your idea of a high flow cat is out at this current time.

On a side note, using the exhaust system from another type of car is also illegal. But who would know.

T_Virus
03-09-2011, 01:05 PM
for reals, if NY has no problems with a Race header, then go with a race header.

ep3jd
03-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Raceheader + kpro = no cel. No cel = an indirection sticker.

More or less

talonXracer
03-09-2011, 01:17 PM
I have passed every year with a race header here in NY. The first time with the header and Kpro I was inspected by the state inspectors and not just the regular shop guys, these guys just happened to be there installing the new computerized crap from Albany.

I have a SSR/DTR race header, Car-Sound spun mettalic core cat, both o2 sensors installed and operating, Kpro set for normal OBDII reporting and have had ZERO issues. In NY state after 8 years or 80K miles you can install aftermarket exhaust components as long as it includes a cat and the muffler is not a straight pass through design, they do not need to be OEM parts to pass.