PDA

View Full Version : my fucking retarded EP broke itself tonight...need experienced opinions!

cbecker333
12-21-2002, 07:02 PM
Oh fuck me I dont fucking believe this....
So, I got home from a delightful week-long ski trip, today. I went right over to my parents' house to pick up my car and get back in the cockpit after my time away.....So after about 5 minutes of warming up on slow roads, I find an industrial area to open her up. I stayed reasonable in 1st (have to, due to lack of traction in cold temps). I then pushed high RPMs through 2nd gear and kissed the redline in 3rd gear. Then I coasted to 50 mph and downshifted to 4th gear before bringing the car to a stop. As I stopped, I know the car died because I lost power in the brakes. So then I see that the engine and oil lights are both on. FUCK! Engine temperature was normal according to the gauge, so I waited a few minutes and checked the dipstick. Sure enough, my oil level was fine. So I tried starting the car, and after some serious struggling it began to run. FUCKING SHIT, It sounded about as smooth as a fucking blender full of ice cubes. There were also nasty fumes coming from the tail pipe - kind of a mixture of Sulfer smell and OH FUCK ME MY FUCKING CAR BROKE TONIGHT smell.

I managed to drive the car home, it stalled 2 times on the way. At RPMs above 2000, it seemed to run OK (i.e. pretty smooth), besides the fact that VTEC goodness was nowhere to be heard. It continues to idle quite poorly and usually dies if I don't steadily apply gas when idling.

OH FUCK ME PLEASE FUCKING HELP ME...THE FUCKING DEALERSHIP IS CLOSED AND I NEED A CAR AND OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKF FUCK FUCKIDY FUCK

EDITED:
I changed the title to exclude the words "fucking" and "retarded". I decided there were enough expletives within the message....

Jpax
12-21-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by cbecker333
Oh fuck me I dont fucking believe this....
So, I got home from a delightful week-long ski trip, today. I went right over to my parents' house to pick up my car and get back in the cockpit after my time away.....So after about 5 minutes of warming up on slow roads, I find an industrial area to open her up. I stayed reasonable in 1st (have to, due to lack of traction in cold temps. I then pushed high RPMs through 2nd gear and kissed the redline in 3rd gear. Then I coasted to 50 mph and downshifted to 4th gear before bringing the car to a stop. As I stopped, I know the car died because I lost power in the brakes. So then I see that the engine and oil lights are both on. FUCK! Engine temperature was normal according to the gauge, so I waited a few minutes and checked the dipstick. Sure enough, my oil level was fine. So I tried starting the car, and after some serious struggling it began to run. FUCKING SHIT, It sounded about as smooth as a fucking blender full of ice cubes. There were also nasty fumes coming from the tail pipe - kind of a mixture of Sulfer smell and OH FUCK ME MY FUCKING CAR BROKE TONIGHT smell.

I managed to drive the car home, it stalled 2 times on the way. At RPMs above 2000, it seemed to run OK (i.e. pretty smooth), besides the fact that VTEC goodness was nowhere to be heard. It continues to idle quite poorly and usually dies if I don't steadily apply gas when idling.

OH FUCK ME PLEASE FUCKING HELP ME...THE FUCKING DEALERSHIP IS CLOSED AND I NEED A CAR AND OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKF FUCK FUCKIDY FUCK

:eek:

Im sorry dood. Wish i could help, but the only thing i can think of is bad fuel, or try taking the batterey cable off for a while and reset the computer.

cbecker333
12-21-2002, 07:06 PM
I'll try that right quick, thanks.

cbecker333
12-21-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE

Im sorry dood. Wish i could help, but the only thing i can think of is bad fuel, or try taking the batterey cable off for a while and reset the computer.

I treid disconnecting the battery - no luck. :( :(

I'm pretty sure its not fuel, because before vacation I burned half a tank of what is currently in there.
:( :(
I should go ahead and apologize to all the others on this board that I scathed for saying that their honda was being shitty before even 10,000 miles had ticked by. Because now, MY HONDA IS SHITTY.
OH FUCK ME, THE DEALER ISN'T OPEN TOMORROW.
Having an Si that worked great for the first 9,100 miles and then shit in my face is about my most unfavorite experience in the recent past. It's like getting yanked off crack after being a fiend for 2 years.

SmoothOperator
12-21-2002, 08:06 PM
maybe...because your car sat untouched for a while, there was moisture build up in your gas tank?
Just throwing something out there....

Az02Si
12-21-2002, 08:59 PM
I accept your apology ;) Sucks to hear that though man,i wish you the best of luck,and I hope your dealer treats you like mine did........

SubliminalSi
12-21-2002, 09:09 PM
Maybe your parents raced it all around town, and then they saw that they drove like 100 miles, and then they drove it in reverse for a day or to, continously putting gas in, till it was back to the miles it had before you left....Just trying to lightin the mood:o

Whooopasss
12-21-2002, 10:04 PM
When you start it up, do you still ahve a check engine light? Might have some bent valves.. When you down shifted, did you over rev?

JSIR
12-21-2002, 10:38 PM
could be a number of things, sounds like an idle control problem, or a vacuum leak, or fuel problem, maybe even a bad 02 sensor.

maybe an animal got up in the engine bay and chewed some wires, vacuum hoses, or fuel hoses. I've seen that happen before, especially with mice.

check over all the wires you can inspect, all vacuum and fuel hoses as well. Look under the car at the two 02 sensors that connect at the catalytic converter, make sure the wires are okay. Check under the car, hood and fuel tank areas as best as possible. Maybe fill up with a good quality fuel as well, try one of those moisture removal products in the fuel tank too in case you have some condensation in the tank.

good luck.

Joey

cbecker333
12-21-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Whooopasss
When you start it up, do you still ahve a check engine light? Might have some bent valves.. When you down shifted, did you over rev?

Dude, read what I said - "Then I coasted to 50 mph and downshifted to 4th gear before bringing the car to a stop."

Still a check engine light - yes. Oil light stays off though, until she stalls.

JSIR
12-21-2002, 10:52 PM
sometimes a bad idle circuit will do that too, throws a code and the ecu goes nuts and for some reason won't idle on its own. I had that on my 99 Si, it usually went away by pulling the backup fuse and resetting the ecu. If it is an electronic problem like that, not much you can do until someone reads the code being stored in the ecu.

You said you pulled the neg. battery cable ?, so that would have re-set the ecu, if it hasn't corrected itself it may need some in-depth service from the dealer. Try re-setting the ecu a few more times, can't hurt, maybe pull the ecu fuse in the underhood fuse box as well.

natesi
12-21-2002, 11:28 PM
fuck

Makross
12-21-2002, 11:52 PM

IceD out N CALI
12-22-2002, 12:13 AM

natesi
12-22-2002, 12:26 AM
Just thought I'd add another swear word in..... You know; for good measure...

Suk02Si
12-22-2002, 03:21 AM

when I was sliding around in the rain the other day my CEL came on and wouldn't allow vtec to kick in. I would floor it and it would sputter. I shut the car off, let it sit for a feew mins, started the car back up and it was fine but the cel was still on. I went home and disconected the battery for 10 mins and the cel turned off.

JaycivicSi
12-22-2002, 07:46 AM
i was comin home from snowboarding and i stopped to talk to my friend and turned the car off. it was real hard to start again and after about 10 tries it finally started. as soon as i would hit over 3000 rpms the gas would cut off and i would lose all power, then engine light was on too so i thought i totally blew the engine out somehow. i called my dad and brang it home and he put some dry gas in it and then filled it up at the gas station. it turned out that there was some water in the gas tank. hopefully your problem isnt worse.

George Knighton
12-22-2002, 12:40 PM
Any progress so far? Still doing the same thing?

Whooopasss
12-22-2002, 02:34 PM
yup.. might be water..

2k2SiAutoXer
12-22-2002, 02:37 PM
hope everything turns out ok. keep us updated.
--Tom

JSIR
12-22-2002, 02:41 PM
I once had an 02 sensor short out on me because fluid was seeping into the connector, had the same effect on the car as you described. The 02 sensor connectors aren't that weather tight, I ended up taping up the wires to prevent moisture from getting into them where they enter the sensor.

water in the fuel system is a possibility especially when the car sat unused for a few days, condesation can form in the tank and system. Putting in some fresh fuel and gas line antifreeze bottle could help that would be the first thing I would try and give the car a good running.

cbecker333
12-22-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator
maybe...because your car sat untouched for a while, there was moisture build up in your gas tank?
Just throwing something out there....

Yeah, I thought about that too. I tried filling up the top half of my tank with a different kind of gas than I usually put in. I also added a bottle of heet (moisture remover).

Originally posted by George Knighton
Any progress so far? Still doing the same thing?

Today I drove about 40 miles and on the way home the car stalled several times. It still idles like crap....maybe even worse now. I'm going out now to try pulling some fuses to reset my ecu.

cbecker333
12-22-2002, 04:48 PM
I pulled the ecu fuse and the backup fuse both for 15 minutes. When I started it up, the engine light was off, but it came back on in about 30 seconds. The engine runs just as badly...

I stuck my head under the hood for more audible information and the sound is just clunky, like an old or shitty engine. The engine shakes badly as if I'm missing a cylinder, but its always willing to keep running if I add throttle when it starts to struggle. It idles sporadically; when the engine is not warmed up, rpms bounce around a range of 1200-1600. It doesn't stall when idling at this colder temperature. When it IS warmed up, rpms will jump around between 500-900 and it will usually just stall out if I leave it idling at normal operating temperature.

If I can't figure out anything else tonight, I'm just gonna take it in to honda tomorrow real damn early. I'm "hoping" its just a bad O2 sensor.

SmoothOperator
12-22-2002, 05:31 PM
Good luck with this mess man. Keep us posted with what's going on though. I'm almost as curious as you are.

George Knighton
12-22-2002, 06:11 PM
I pulled the ecu fuse and the backup fuse bothj....

One of the neat things about the K20's is that each spark plug has its own ignitor/coil assembly.

Did you catch those posts here and at HT where these individual coils had come lose from the spark plugs?

It's possible you've been running on only three cylinders.

Doesn't take but a few minutes to check out. :)

cbecker333
12-23-2002, 07:30 AM
I didn't make time to check that before I took the car in to honda this morning. I'll keep you guys posted....

cbecker333
12-23-2002, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty sure George was right! Way to go man. I just called honda and they said they had to order a part for the ignition assembly. I didn't get much info or anything, but I'm guessing it was the igniter/coil issue like you said. Is this going to be a recurring problem on the K20? What is Honda doing to address this? It seems to be happening more than a little bit if someone could identify it just from hearing my story.

sniperSI
12-23-2002, 05:45 PM
Could of blown a head gasget or an o ring, shit sucks, becareful how much you beat your car up in cold weather.

cbecker333
12-23-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by sniperSI
Could of blown a head gasget or an o ring, shit sucks, becareful how much you beat your car up in cold weather.

Is this for real? Are you telling me to take it easy on my car? Did you see the part where I said I warmed it up first? What the fuck does "beat your car up" mean? It really offends me when you suggest that careless habits are responsible for the damage, because I love my car - as is clear from the raging use of foul language in my initial post. If what I did IS responsible for the damage, then I'm puzzled about why I didn't know this earlier - nothing in the book that came with my car says to "be careful how much you beat your car up in cold weather".

-Chris

ConeCrazy02
12-23-2002, 11:37 PM
Ive heard reports of people selling tempered gasoline. It had a mixture of water and gasoline, could that be your problem...cheap gas?

cbecker333
12-24-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by ConeCrazy02
Ive heard reports of people selling tempered gasoline. It had a mixture of water and gasoline, could that be your problem...cheap gas?

Dude read the rest of the thread and stop asking questions that we've already answered.

02blksi
12-24-2002, 09:05 AM
just check your spark plugs -- they will tell you all the info you need

wet and smell like gas - no spark - ignition problem
oily -- start crying

most likely a loose coil pack or faulty one. --Good luck --joe :)

EP2002
12-24-2002, 09:14 AM
Sorry about your car. Check out my thread. My car died on me about 3 weeks ago, and I found out it was because the coils came loose, and I couldn't start the car.

Good luck and Merry Christmas everyone.

JSIR
12-24-2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by EP2002
Sorry about your car. Check out my thread. My car died on me about 3 weeks ago, and I found out it was because the coils came loose, and I couldn't start the car.

Good luck and Merry Christmas everyone.

How did your coils come loose ?, were the bolts not tightened down, or were they missing altogether ?. Each coil/plug has a bolt to clamp it down, with the bolts tightened down on each coil pack I can't see the coils ever coming loose . Any idea how yours came loose (as well as some others) ?

natesi
12-24-2002, 06:40 PM
So, you took your car in today, right??

What was the problem?

cbecker333
12-25-2002, 08:29 AM
I took the car in monday. They were able to read an engine code for the problem, but the tech who ordered the part didn't write legibly enough for the service manager to be able to tell me exactly what went wrong. All I know is that its ignition related. The service manager promised to have more info tomorrow (thursday) when the part comes in and they fix it. I can tell you from my use of the car that it was definitely running on three cylinders.

Merry Christmas!

-Chris

cbecker333
12-27-2002, 12:58 PM
I called the dealer and the service manager says the part is in, the hood is up and someone is under there fixing it. SO EXCITING! It's almost the same feeling as when I bought the car new! I was so impatient that I drove past the dealership earlier to see if my car had been moved from its spot on the lot.

It took the dealer a day longer than what they quoted me. When is honda going to have another model that shares the K20A3 design? That might make things like this faster, due to increased inventory requirements for K20A3 parts.

cantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitca ntwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwait:cool: :cool: :cool:

02blksi
12-27-2002, 01:13 PM
Im glad you are getting your car back , i know how it feels to be itching to drive it! --Joe :) hope everything gets fixed!

cbecker333
12-27-2002, 02:38 PM
My car is running SWEET! Its so phatty. damn.

So here's what they replaced:
"Valve assembly"

The issue was:

"Variable valve timing control phase gap set" (I'm not sure what this means....is this how the ECU responded to the failure?)

"VTC Control Solenoid valve is temporarily stuck"

it also says, "Replaced Valve" and "Reset Computer"

DownTheHatch
12-27-2002, 03:05 PM
So far the Civic Si, Element and Accord platforms use the K series motor so parts demand should rise soon.

Glad you're getting the car fixed :)

Si4U2NV
12-27-2002, 05:33 PM
soundz like water in ur tank if u ask me... it happened to my friendz audi a6 (automatic) and everytime we would come to a stop it would shut off... it turned out to be water in the gas tank.... wait it out and see... other than that...just dont drive it and make it worse....

good luck...

-Mike

SmoothOperator
12-27-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Si4U2NV
soundz like water in ur tank if u ask me... it happened to my friendz audi a6 (automatic) and everytime we would come to a stop it would shut off... it turned out to be water in the gas tank.... wait it out and see... other than that...just dont drive it and make it worse....

good luck...

-Mike
I suggest you refer to pages 2 and 3 of this thread. Perhaps there, you can obtain a clue.

IceD out N CALI
12-27-2002, 06:06 PM
My car is running SWEET! Its so phatty. damn.

So here's what they replaced:
"Valve assembly"

The issue was:

"Variable valve timing control phase gap set" (I'm not sure what this means....is this how the ECU responded to the failure?)

"VTC Control Solenoid valve is temporarily stuck"

it also says, "Replaced Valve" and "Reset Computer"

crazy, glad u got it taken care of and hopefully that problem doesnt happen to anybody else's EP:)

Silver7
12-27-2002, 07:09 PM
damn.. that sux.. but at least u know what the problem was and u got it fixed.. hmm i also live where its cold and where it snows during winter ;) and i go snowboarding as well :p ... is this something I need to worry about(when i get my SI that is)?

and from what i know there is nothing different from 02 model to 03 model, right? (so the problem still could exist).

Jpax
12-27-2002, 07:13 PM
Sweet. good to hear it wasnt a major problem . .. like they would have to replace the motor. :eek:

sweet

cbecker333
12-28-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Silver7
damn.. that sux.. but at least u know what the problem was and u got it fixed.. hmm i also live where its cold and where it snows during winter ;) and i go snowboarding as well :p ... is this something I need to worry about(when i get my SI that is)?

and from what i know there is nothing different from 02 model to 03 model, right? (so the problem still could exist).

I wouldn't worry too much about this happening to you. It doesn't appear to a be a problem that many others have had. Initially, when the service manager gave me the wrong information (ignition failure) - some people were talking about another issue thats more common. Also, I'm calling BS on this "take it easy on your car in the winter" thing. It is a honda! It is made to last! It is made to run in hot weather, cold weather, and everywhere in between. As long as your engine temp is up in the normal range (just less than half-way up the guage in my ep), don't be afraid to kiss that redline. I will continue to redline the beast any old time I feel like it.

FailureToStop
12-28-2002, 08:21 PM
CBecker333,

Your sig says you have an intake on your car. Did you have the intake on when you took your car to the dealership? If you did, did they say anything about it?

cbecker333
12-28-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by FailureToStop
CBecker333,

Your sig says you have an intake on your car. Did you have the intake on when you took your car to the dealership? If you did, did they say anything about it?

Good question - the CAI was on there and I was waiting for them to say something as well. They didn't say anything about it. This is the second time I've taken the car in since I added the intake (last time for my first oil change) - they either didn't notice or didn't feel it was in violation of warranty.

cryptic02si
12-28-2002, 09:37 PM
my dealer told me that most bolt ons will not affect warranty

2k2SiAutoXer
12-30-2002, 12:11 AM
are ya sure it wasnt the gas? ive heard problems with bad gas and water added to gas. Get some dry gas and fill it up with some really good gas and have a gas.

J/K

Glad to hear everyhting is ok, I just want to get my car back, 3 months is too long of a wait.
--Tom