PDA

View Full Version : wireless usb adapter, kpro compatibility

lldiesel386ll
03-07-2011, 07:14 AM
i was speaking with a fellow EP'er a couple weeks ago, and the idea of connecting your laptop to kpro wirelessly came into the conversation. it seemed like a great idea--it would be nice in terms of cable management. i am not the most computer savvy, but i would assume all that needs is a wireless usb adapter. does anyone know if this is feasible? :shrug:

AKEP
03-07-2011, 11:10 AM
If they even make that, I wouldn't do it. all it takes is one dead connection and there goes the ECU.

ps. i dont think they make those. wether it was wireless networking or an "invisible" usb cable, the first does not exist for usb purposes, for lack of protocol control with the ecu, the second, i dont think exists.

the thing about writing to roms is that theres a physical connection to ensure that what needs to be written, gets written. The more complicated you make this task, the higher the opportunity to corrupt the write on the rom, and making life hell to unbrick the ecu, or make uncorrupted maps.

it would be nice tho, but theres only 1 cable that runs to the ecu.:shrug:

lldiesel386ll
03-07-2011, 11:34 AM
i highly doubt the ecu would fry, but i can see your point towards corrupting a map in the upload. just throwing the idea out there lol. oh wells :thumbu:

AKEP
03-07-2011, 12:32 PM
not fry, physically, but logically unreadable/writable.

i saw a guy fry a chip for a dc2 the other day. byebye $200 tune lol

rolldogK20
03-07-2011, 09:22 PM
that would be nice have a wireless ecu and get rid of the cable..

T_Virus
03-08-2011, 12:26 AM
but wouldn't wireless be alot more easier for theives to steal?

heyvortek
03-08-2011, 06:50 AM
wireless would make it easier to steal if they can turn the car on. you would really have to try. wireless is less secure with information. just weld your ecu to the car so they can take it out and steal it.

Sub
03-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Well IF you really want to do this you can but you need a different type of adapter.

With a normal "Wireless USB" usally means to allow connection via TCP/IP. I'm sure Kpro don't allow for IP address also can't install drivers(hehe)

Now

What is needed a WUSB "Dongle" in which you can make a connection to the device which acts like a direct connection to the Computer as it was just pluged in.

Goggle "Cables Unlimited USB-WIRELESS Dongle Set"